What are you listening to?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon & Patrick guitars have necks very similiar to the Gibson J35, slim and really easy on the hand. And waaaaaaaaay less pricey than Gibson.

the thing i like about an electric is you can play it unplugged and it wont overpower the other people in your house. i play my epi les paul unplugged 99% of the time. keeps mrs fogey happy. i think mine is a les paul junior too(only 2 knobs). prolly around $200...

the thing i like about an electric is you can play it unplugged and it wont overpower the other people in your house. i play my epi les paul unplugged 99% of the time. keeps mrs fogey happy. i think mine is a les paul junior too(only 2 knobs). prolly around $200...
My wife said mine has 3 knobs. Two on the front and one holding the pick. Hmmmmm wonder what old Herself meant by that ?

My 1st guitar was a 1938 Gibson J 30 I paid $125. It was a sunburst model that the finish was worn off. It had incredible action and that Gibson bass booming out of that guitar. I played it for 10 years and traded it for my Guild. Gibson had a big strike in the 70"s and many of the luthiers left and went to Guild. My Guild is from that time period. They changed how they internally braced the tops with scalloped bracing. She is a keeper.

My brother-in-law is a big Guild guy but I won’t hold that against you. ;) . He is a turd(but a very good musician). Last I heard of him he sent a picture of himself holding an AR-15 saying ‘John Lennon May be dead but Dave(my name) isn’t’. I will knock him out cold if I ever see him...

My 1st guitar was a 1938 Gibson J 30 I paid $125. It was a sunburst model that the finish was worn off. It had incredible action and that Gibson bass booming out of that guitar. I played it for 10 years and traded it for my Guild. Gibson had a big strike in the 70"s and many of the luthiers left and went to Guild. My Guild is from that time period. They changed how they internally braced the tops with scalloped bracing. She is a keeper.
Yes, its hard to beat the action and big mellow bass on an old Gibson. I tried a newer model once but it was just a sad imitation. Martins are much the same, the old models are miles ahead of the newer product.
I had a Yamaha once that i used on the bluegrass circuit and it could stay right up with any Martin.

The low end Martins are pressed fiberboard tops. But the old Appalachian spruce top guitars are harder and harder to come by.

a buddy of mine when i was a young fogey had a 1930's hawaiian koa martin guitar. hadn't seen him for a while and asked him about it. he said sadly he had snorted it. dummy...

a buddy of mine when i was a young fogey had a 1930's hawaiian koa martin guitar. hadn't seen him for a while and asked him about it. he said sadly he had snorted it. dummy...

It is sad but i suppose when you're in that position things only have value in terms of the next hit. Not meaning to be judgemental !!! Just my opinion. I had a good pal once that went that road.

Last edited:
nope. i called him a dummy and he agreed. he pawned it for $1400. i'd have bought it from him for that easy...

You guys ever come across the "Crazy Spoon Lady" ? I think she was a street person in NC maybe ? Check her on utube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back