what can you learn from seedlings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dank.bud76

danker da better
Reaction score
like the title, do growth patterns/rates/visible traits of an immature plant give you any clues as to the type, sex or other clues to what the adult plant is going to turn out to be? Just curious if anyone has pickup up on anything.

i have noticed nothing in my time... which hasn't been much. but as far as i know, sex can only be determend a couple weeks after you start 12/12.
one thing you can do, is start your seeds with 12/12 and as soon as you identify the sex switch back to 18/6 or 24 to reveg.
are there any DNA/RNA scientists out there that can help out?
maybe there's a way to take a small piece of leaf or stem and get it tested, that'd be a breakthrough i think.

While some CSI stuff would be cool unfortunately the only way to tell sex is the old fashion way. Some have said they can see preflowers, I have not. Mature your plant throw it under a 12/12 light and in a week if it don't grow balls its a girly girl.

Good luck
MCM

While Vegging and after alternating nodes,,,,Nodes that run ,,long,short,long,short and so on,, are Male,,Nodes that are fairly equally spaced are Female.That is what I read here(Thatcrazyvancoverguy)I think!! and I believe it works a large % of the time. Worked on mine.;)

CowboyBudsky said:
While Vegging and after alternating nodes,,,,Nodes that run ,,long,short,long,short and so on,, are Male,,Nodes that are fairly equally spaced are Female.That is what I read here(Thatcrazyvancoverguy)I think!! and I believe it works a large % of the time. Worked on mine.;)

I guess I will have to pay closer attention to my node lengths:hubba:

It's relly quite easy to determine preflowers once you know what you're look at/for.

Naturally people will hold onto a plnt until it's quite clear, but males are pretty easy to tell once it's been in 12/12 for a week and you don't see any pistils, you got a male. Pretty easy to see preflowers with the nake eye, just gotta get used to the tell tale signs.

I guess I don't have the sex eye I have seen lots of posts with pics and arrows and I just don't see it Or maybe I turn a blind eye cause I'm to attached and don't wanna let go.;)

Boys alot of the times,,drop there pants before tha girls.:D

Left is male. Right is female.

You're looking for a hair, sometimes the hair will appear without the calyx, being the gree cupping around the two hairs. You'll see it first up top, then progressively lower as time goes on.

The balls on the male can look like they may produce pistils, it either will, or you will see more balls, or nubs start to appear, if this is the case, it's a definate male.

Back on topic.... I've had a few beans that looked like the would be deformed, based on the first set of leaves round leaves, but by the time they get there true leaves they show none what so ever. You may be able to tell indica of sativa, withing the first few days of sprouting, but outside that, you'd have to pull a CSI or something

Boogt.jpg

yea... all those posts down below gives ya good answers...

I did notice males grows faster than females.. but use it as pre-cautions ;)

I have some 3 week old monsters, popped them into 12/12 3 days ago and I know that 4 are females, and the other two are probably females to, as the males should've shown, but you never know. My two biggest plants are well over a foot, both female, so don't always believe the biggest are males.

As for the preflowers, yes, those are male, and females preflowers. You can't pinpoint the sex of a preflower until you see the pistils or a definate ball. They say to look for a pear shaped node for a female, before the pistils come out, and a spade type ball for a male, sometimes on a stalk of it's own. Unless you have very good eyes and a very good magnifying glass it's hard to tell.

In seedling stage, little can be determined other than 'possibly' more indica or sativa.
There is no method of determining male or female prior to sexual maturity. Sex can not be determined positively without 'seeing' staminate or pistil growth.

What hick said. Males do tend to be the more vigorous of the sexes though when it comes to growth.

Tater said:
What hick said. Males do tend to be the more vigorous of the sexes though when it comes to growth.

Not always the case. My two biggest growers turned ou to be female. Sometimes yu get a nice female from the weed gods.

Tater said:

Somtimes yes. Howevere I have two moster females that tower over my other 4 plants. Sometimes you get lucky like that.

good info. hey trent45, how can you tell indica from sativa that early? i have some new years seeds that turned 2 weeks today and i still can't tell what they are in that regards. with a limited space it is REAL nice to be able to flower only females and not waste space on the males. i'll get a new mother soon but until then it's seeds.

Your sativa dominant plants will shoot upwards quicker, as well as show long thin fan leaves, whereas indica is a slower growin, tighter noded plant with wide, "fatter" fan leaves.

Latest posts

Back