What EXACTLY is a "HOTSPOT"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

md.apothecary

Art is Resistance!
Reaction score
I was reading and I noticed a lot of talk about "Hot Spots"... what exactly are they?

I can never get my mylar to stick will to the walls... what EXACTLY is a hotspot? Mylar rips so easily and I always have to double up and such and it starts to wrinkle on me.

So other than my hotspot question, what do you guys think about this stuff???

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewproduct.asp?productID=52089

Hot spots, are spots on metal surfaces like Aluminum, that gets HOT from
the LUMENS thats being put out by a light source.

Hot spots can get hot enough to start a Fire..

Mylar isn't that difficult.

Trick is to use SPRAY on adhesive ( i did )

When I used a staple gun, or what ever, I used some clear scotch tape.
I put the tape on the spot where I was going to Staple/pin/anchor, then
stapled into the taped spot. Stopped the mylar from ripping, even with
2 fans blowing at high speed.

That poly vinyl is some good stuff buddy. Lots of growers use it. Heavy duty and doesn't tear easily. Easy to hang up too.

I thought hot spots were from the light being focus back onto the plant causing a spot on a leaf to burn. Not fire but from too much light. Like focusing a magnifing glass on an ant.

yeah this is why i was curious. some places mentioned plant burn, and others talked about an actual hot spot on the mylar causing melting or focusing the light behind the mylar. I wasn't sure... but I think I might order some poly. It's 4 mil and looks easy to use, plus I could use it as a light barrier for my flower room.

I use double small pieces of double sided tape for mylar. But after I picked up a roll of poly film for a buck for 10 sq feet I've been using that. Has anybody tried out the two in the exact same room before? Ever since I switched to the poly film i can't seem to get my temps under control, but then again I did increase the size...

mylar does seem to be more "breathable" than poly depending on your mil thickness. I don't think though that it would effect it on a dramatic scale. What were your temps before/after? Just curious...

if choosing the right material is a dilemma, just go with flat white paint, i have seen it here a while ago where the reflection was measured in a ligght meter and they both were so close that it didnt matter, its strictly up to you, they are both good.
now that also depends on how youre using it, if your area is small where the mylar would be touching the wall, then there is no reason for it, but if the walls were far away from the plants then putting the reflective fil between the 2 would make much more sense, get me?.. hope so.. good luck.. :aok:

Latest posts

Back