What / how is peat moss used?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
W

White WidowMaker

Is this just a substitute for soil? Is it an additive or supplement to soil? I see it in the store, but don't know how I would use it in my growing regimen.

Peat moss is usually used to absorb liquid readily basically it helps hold in water. What I do is mix it with pearlite and soil to get a good consistency as well as good drainage. Ive read more than once that peat moss is acidic so watch your PH. :D hope I helped.

My suggestion would also be to mix in some Dolimite Lime if you are making your own soil cause it helps to stabilize the PH and to neutralize soil acidity.

I think I'll just stick with good ol' potting soil and worm castings mixed in so that I don't have to worry about Ph. These two mixed together produce for me lush, darkish-green WW plants, no spots, no yellowing, etc. I would have mixed peat moss into the mixture also, but since you said it is high in PH, I will have to pass on peat moss.

Thanks for your help though.

White WidowMaker said:
holding water good.

acidity bad.

Some growers prefer a "soiless" medium. They mix equal parts vermiculite, peat moss and perlite. This makes a growing medium totally without nutrients, so you have to add the nutes from the beginning. Otherwise, yes it helps to hold water in the soil.

I use two parts sphagnum peat moss, 1 part recycled soil, 1/2 part perlite, 1 part humus and manure, and add in bat guano and dolimite lime and worm castings (depending on how much mix is how much of the last 3). And its my understanding that Sphagnum peat is PH nuetral, depending on how its processed.

Latest posts

Back