What is a true purple strain?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grand Daddy is my all time fav comes from oakland or up that way..

I was wondering the same thing, I can't find a strain that will turn purple during flower based on genetics rather than cold night temps. And the ones that do seem to not be stable strains, so you never know if the plants will even display the purple phenotype.

Is Purple Start true Purple or is Purple power? is it the cold that makes it purple?

On seedsman site the strongest purple is Blueberry is this true or not.

Variety: Mostly Indica (80%)
Harvest Date: October
Flowering Period: 8-10 weeks
THC Content: 19.5%
No. of Seeds Per Packet: 10
Characteristics: Fruity aroma, taste of Blueberry

massproducer said:
Try the Purps/ mendo purple it was high times 2007 strain of the year, and placed third in the sativa cup, even though it is a 60/40 hybrid

I have never ordered from seedman so I couldn't really say, one thing i will say is...Do not grow a plant strictly because it is purple or you will be dissapointed. I love The purps, GDP and Grape ape because of there grapey, fruity pebbles taste, the fact that they happen to be purple is great but I am not growing them just because they are purple.

KGB30 said:

massproducer said:
I have never ordered from seedman so I couldn't really say, one thing i will say is...Do not grow a plant strictly because it is purple or you will be dissapointed. I love The purps, GDP and Grape ape because of there grapey, fruity pebbles taste, the fact that they happen to be purple is great but I am not growing them just because they are purple.

Thanks for your help.

I am growing now Purps from BC seed company they are in flower, and none show a hint of purple. Tho one has purple red stalks, and i mean dark. I am also growing Sugar Grandaddy Purple, one of which is in flower, and it has shown no purple color. But.......i had two plants that were a Northernlights+Amethyst that had the most purple buds i have ever seen. I entered them both in the bpom, one this month and one last month.

So i agree with Trillions, can never tell what will happen. Of course let your plants have air that is cold and they will turn purple.

tcbud said:
I am growing now Purps from BC seed company they are in flower, and none show a hint of purple. Tho one has purple red stalks, and i mean dark. I am also growing Sugar Grandaddy Purple, one of which is in flower, and it has shown no purple color. But.......i had two plants that were a Northernlights+Amethyst that had the most purple buds i have ever seen. I entered them both in the bpom, one this month and one last month.

So i agree with Trillions, can never tell what will happen. Of course let your plants have air that is cold and they will turn purple.

Thanks for your advice. I guess the air temperature helps to change the color. I appreciate you opion thanks.

I find that most purple strains will not turn purple until around the last few weeks of flowering, when they are using all of their nutrient stores, mainly nitrogen and phosphurous. Because of the intense green of chlorophyll, the purple and blue hues of Anthocyanin tend to stay hidden until the chlorophyll levels start to degrade in late flowering. This is not set in stone as the plant can display the colour at any time, but it has to fight with chlorophyll inorder to show in the leaves and flowers

well folks, i'm told "grapeape" is a pure purple indica. ive also read it shows color quicker/easier than other purples(grandaddy was their example). i shall(and youall too!) should know in a matter of about 4-5 weeks if any of this is true as i am growing this strain now.(once again, i didnt get a chance to run a dna test on it so i am going by what im told by reputable "clone guy".)

massproducer said:
I find that most purple strains will not turn purple until around the last few weeks of flowering, when they are using all of their nutrient stores, mainly nitrogen and phosphurous. Because of the intense green of chlorophyll, the purple and blue hues of Anthocyanin tend to stay hidden until the chlorophyll levels start to degrade in late flowering. This is not set in stone as the plant can display the colour at any time, but it has to fight with chlorophyll inorder to show in the leaves and flowers

thank-you.......

i wish i could give you gold rep....

Latest posts

Back