What should I do with this male?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
Been flowering since the 16th of November now- about a week. Out of 3 plants, it appears one is male. The other two appear female. Hopefully they;ll stay that way. Pictures haven't come out clear enough to confirm sex with you guys. I'll try this week with a different camera. No good macro lens available.

What should I do with the male? It's LST'd and I suppose if grown straight it would be about 12- 14 inches tall. Lots of nice fan leaves. Should I try that alcohol hash oil I've seen made here. Isopropyl alcohol to soak and drained leaves, alcohol evaporates leaving some hash like goop. Will it be worth the trouble? It sure is a stinky plant. Can scent be a measure of potency/THC content?

I also posted this question on my grow journal...

THANKS FOR THE TIPS EVERYONE!!!
Looks like two lovely ladies for me!!!!

D

First thing is first.. GET IT OUT OF THE GROW ROOM! lol.. Sorry about the male but a 2/3 ratio is not so bad so its good to cut your losses and move one with the other 2 ladies.. As far as making iso hash out of the male or something along the lines of a hash product i would say it depends on what strain your growing because if there is hardly any THC on the leaves and such it probably wouldn't even be worth it in my opinion however if those leaves are just crystallized with THC.. go for it man :D It wouln't hurt! Good Luck

for sure, man... iso is cheap... ya might as well try to get someth'n out of it....

there is a thread here, somewhere, (i think) on this forum, where somebody uses only the males to make cannabutter with. he says there is more t in the males, + he uses all parts (except roots). it certainly couldn't hurt to try + make some butter, so give it a try. good luck - let us no how it turns out

ya... I forgot about that... making cannabutter out of it... for baking later on :hubba: that's what you wanna do with it... make butter. just do a thread search keyword cannabutter.

Tell him you are taking him to the fair and when he gets out to take a pee you step on the gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get him outta there!

Stunzeed..

As far as what to do with the male after he is dry.
I'd use the blender with ice and water to make hash.
3 bag system should suffice.

Yeah, the male is out of the grow box already. Sittin on my kitchen counter.

Cannabutter or ISO hash, I suppose I need to dry it first?

The leaves don't seem to have much visible crystal on them, but they do FEEL a bit rough, so I'm guessing that it might yield a bit of something. I think I'll let him grow a bit on my counter, dry him and then try the ISO hash. The Cannabutter would be great idea, but I don't think it will yield anything potent enough for the work. I mean, perhpas if I only make 1/8 - 1/4 cup of cannabutter it will be potent, but the iso hash sounds like less work for so little yield.

By the way, it's a mostly sativa strain. Jock Horror from Nirvana.

thanks for the tips everyone...

theCre8or said:
It sure is a stinky plant. Can scent be a measure of potency/THC content?

Yep, they sure do stink don't they. :p
(Had one reak so bad had to chop...no the smell is not a factor in its potency, just part of its traits is all)
Well, from all my reading, Male plants have "trace amounts" of THC IN the leaves. Where a female will produce them on the leaves as well. IMO water extraction is only good for female bud in my opinion. To get anything off a male oil extraction would be the best option. (I scrap my males unless using them for making seeds)....waste of time.
ISO oil, Butane oil, and Cannabutter would be the only things worth trying IMO.
I dry and cure before i make oil. The chlorophyll will break down and you will avoid the really green color.
Hash and hash oil should not be green IMO.
I'll stick to females for the smoke.

throw it away..

dont waist your time..

youll end up putting in alot of effort to smoke something
thats gonna taste bad and give you a head ache..

believe me im talking from experience.

I was thinking about this today. Trying to figure out why people are so worried about tossing a male.
We have to wait until harvest window to get bud worth having.
Males we pull as soon as we see em. So even if a male has trace amounts, pulling it two weeks into flower means it ain't worth crap.
Scrap em. Dude, I just never tried smoking a male b4, didn't see much point to it, whether hash or leaf. Males are only good for there pollen, the female is where your efforts should be.

YOu guys are probably right about scrapping the male.. This is my 2nd grow and really my first concerted effort. So to just kill a plant I nurtured from seed is a bit difficult. Ya know?

You guys are probably over that as you've done several grows, you're likley doing a few more plants at a time, taking clones, etc....

Part of the reason I was hoping to make my male usefull was also to give me a preview of what's to come. ..

However, time is money, and I ain't got alot of either, so I'm inclined to follow your advice on scraping him.

Thanks again!!

Oscar said:
As far as what to do with the male after he is dry.
I'd use the blender with ice and water to make hash.
3 bag system should suffice.
hmmmmmm....think I'd go with the iso or butter. Males, especially immature males, seldom have the trichomes to produce any amount of "hash" through screens...

when he gets out to take a pee you step on the gas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:giggle:
hahahahaha!

Latest posts

Back