What to do when PH is over 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldgeezer

Reaction score
Should have invested in a good Ph meter when I started this project. Didn't and now I am paying the price. I am growing in soil with the addition of perlite to assist in soil improvement. I just received the measuring devise and the soil shows a Ph of 7.5. My question is can vinegar (Distilled White Vinegar 5% acidity) be used to slowly bring the Ph down to where it belongs. The water that I am using is just a hair above 7 and the water after coming out the bottom of the pot when I water is close to 7.7. I can see why I am having a few growth problems. I know there are several products on the commercial market but vinegar is cheap and easily optained. H E L P

What type of soil? and what nutes if any?

The potting soil was purchased from Steins and just soil. I was using Schultz Plant Food Plus 10-15-10. I have purchased Fox Farms Tiro for Soil and will be using that.

been known to use lemon juice in a pinch and works fur me but others here not to keen on it then gain they all have to fancy stores most of them to get proper stuff needed. I have to use my wits more then other ;)

BWD

Lemon juice might work in a true pinch but it doesn't keep the ph stable for very long. Do yourself a favor and get some actual ph up and down. It can be gotten on ebay for a fairly good price. I bought some GH up and Down over a year ago and still hve enough to last me for months. I will try and dig up a link to some for you.

This is on Amazon with free shipping

amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-Adjusting-Dry-Combo/dp/B004OFSNUQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345306221&sr=8-2&keywords=General+Hydroponics+pH+Up+%26+Down+Dry%2C+1.5+lb

You may already know this but in case you don't; Definitely get the PH- so that you can adjust your water down to about 6.5 before watering your plants(don't try to add PH adjuster to the soil directly) and it will bring the soil down slowly over time to a better level that they can live with. In the more organic types of grows (I have found) you don't have to check the soil PH so much unless you have some major problems. If you keep your water PH steady and your soil is right to start with then you should be OK. :)

Aspirin work better than lemon juice and they hep the plants to fight off bugs and sickness.

The vinegar you described will also work fine in a pinch, Oldgeezer . . . let water sit out overnite . . . then add nutes, mix, and then bubble or let it rest an hour or more to let buffers kick in . . . then about 1-1/2 caps (not cups!!) full of vinegar per gallon brings it down from 7 down to 6.5

jm2c :48:

Just what is this 'device' that measured your soils pH?

If it's one of those with the prongs, you probably have a wildly inaccurate reading.

Wet

those analog prong things can be made to work in a pinch too . . .

how does everyone measure the pH of the soil down at the bottom of the pot, in the root zone ??

I haven't checked my soils pH in well over a year.

No reason to.

Wet

Latest posts

Back