Whats happening to my plants

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a first time grower and so far eveerything has been going great
out of 20 seeds i managed to get 16 3 week old seedlings and they were all going nicely until brown splodges started to apear on their leaves. it appears that the leaf is dead in patches and i am unsure whether this is a pest, disease or they are simply dying.
what is happening to them and how can i fix it.
Please Help
(picture attatched)

Photo 6.jpg

Well the first problem i see is to many plants in the same pot. You should only have 1 plant per pot. What kind of light are you using? Have you given them any nutes? Tell us a bit about your set up and what you been doing.

Yeah, it's hard to be able to tell you what's up without knowing what you're doing to them. I know that I had this same problem, and some experienced grower friends (and all of my buddies on the boards!) told me it was probably a nitrogen defeciency. Some nutes cleared it all up.

Also, do you have something in the soil to help aerate it? Something like perlite? I use plain old small stone aquarium gravel. It keeps the soil from compacting when you water it and it allows plenty of oxygen to get to the roots of the plant.

Oh, and definitely put them in different pots. They will get big fast and then outgrow the pot and crowd eachother.

Let us know about your setup though, and you will get some more sophisticated answers.

~Metalchick

Thanks for that, i will go about get some nitrogen rich nutrients asap. i am growing at the moment on natural light however i plan to move the indoors as soon as i get a good light. however i have been having trouble finding a good light as everyone at the local hardware store is useless so could someone please tell me what exactly i should be looking for. i plan on keeping only 2 or 3 plants and how do you think the whole setup will cost me(while keeping a reasonably low budget). PS please specify whether it is US or Australian dollars

oh and also at the moment i am using gympsum (or however its spelt) an organic potting mix and some dry light woodchip filled soil.

oh and just to explain the over crouding i was worried that it may have beed a disease and so isolated all the damaged plants in the same pot.

Nitrogen deficiency sound right however heres an updated image just to be sure

Photo 9.jpg

Are you sure you haven't used any nutrients, those leaves look burnt.

They do look alittle nute burned. I believe that if N was an issue the leaves would be turning yellow and wilting off.:cool:

Exactly...

Are you sure you didn't have a light close to them or something?

Has it been hot where u live? IT kinda looks like some heat stress.

mmm, thanks guys, one of the soil mixes i used said it had enoguh nurients to keep the plants alive for 3 months and it didnt say it could be used with seedling so it is possible that that could have done it. Unfortuanly after the responce from metal chick ive started it on a very nitrogen rich blood and bone mix. does this mean that they will be well and truely fried in a couple of days. should i transplant or is it to late, is there any particulaly gentle soils that i should use as to allow them to recover properly

The soil can keep it alive for 3 months, but I think you could still give it nutes if you wanted. :holysheep: <<< lol

bong on live long said:
mmm, thanks guys, one of the soil mixes i used said it had enoguh nurients to keep the plants alive for 3 months and it didnt say it could be used with seedling so it is possible that that could have done it. Unfortuanly after the responce from metal chick ive started it on a very nitrogen rich blood and bone mix. does this mean that they will be well and truely fried in a couple of days. should i transplant or is it to late, is there any particulaly gentle soils that i should use as to allow them to recover properly
Seedling are very sensetive to nutes at this stage. The blood and bone will likely burn them to a crisp. The nutrients in your soil now, is more than they can handle.
"IMHO" that is the problem now.
Fox Farm ocean forest soil is a "proven" winner.

Latest posts

Back