Whats the best neutrients/soil... First time grower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i need some advise, i am going to start a soil grow and i want to know the best soil to buy and best nutrients to go with it. I have bin reading and a lot of you use fox farms soil. What kind is the best? Ocean Forest, black gold, i have no idea, and what all do i need to purchase with it? My boyfriend just started a hydro grow and its his first grow also, and he knows nothing about soil. So i already have the lights and what not, just need to know what all i need to start of a soil grow, So lets start the list shall we?... Thanks guys:p

Thanx berserker...i personally don't know much about growing in the first place but my bf is helping me out alot...

Aww look at you doing your own grow. Im so proud.....:hubba:

lowrydergrower775 said:
there is no way to like exactly tell how often you will learn to do it by the weight of the pot when dry and when watered. but usually i do it every three or four days ;)

thanks man...kinda like regular plants...nice :)

how often do you usually have to water with soil?
That depends on if you are in Veg or flowering.But to start you off.When you are watering you will learn how much your plants want,you will see the need for more water and frequency the further you get in the grow.When you are watering seedling,I start out by spraying the soil.Saturating the soil very good.I do this almost on a daily basis.When the plant starts to grow.I keep watering with a sprayer On a almost daily basis.I dont like to upset the soil to much around the new seedling,giving the roots a chance to grow out and grab on to the soil.Thats why I use a sprayer.After a week or so out of soil,when you can tell you got some good roots going.Then water out of what ever kind of container you use.I would do that about ever 3 to 5 days.You plant will tell you by the leaves will start to droop,then it is watering time.I would slowly add water until you get a little run off,then I would wait about 5 to 10 mins and go back and slowly add water again until you get a run off again.That way the first watering will settle in and let more water stay in the soil,instead of running out the bottom.
Here is a good read.It is full of information and will answer almost any question you might have.Hope this helps and Keep it GREEN:D
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

Thanks Berserker...your a big help...i've checked out the site you gave me and it helped too...im gonna start it in the jiffy pellot tonight and when i get in the nutrients and soil in...ill switch it over...

dmack said:
:yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat::yeahthat: berserker is always right:holysheep:
This is Mrs.Berserker.I read the above over his shoulder.I let him think the same thing. Sorry hon:giggle:

Hot Grow Chick said:
Thanks Berserker...your a big help...i've checked out the site you gave me and it helped too...im gonna start it in the jiffy pellot tonight and when i get in the nutrients and soil in...ill switch it over...

hey whats up?? u could germ in a towel.. then after u see it pushing a root out of the bean, u could put it in a peat pellet bout 1/8 or 1/4 inch down.. and u transplant ur peat pellet. once u see roots coming out of the pp.. and into un-nuted soil...

ive got my lil girl in a peat pellet, that is in a 16 oz dixie cup full of just perlite.. (perlite has no nute value).. its looking good..

with my 2 bigger plants, i put em into nuted soil right away like ur i think wanting to do... and im seeing slowness in growth, id suggest not nuting at all for the first 2-4 weeks of ur lil seedling.. then after that time.. u transplant ur 16 ozer into a 1 gallon pot.. and after that is root bound u want to transplant into a bigger one..

this encourages growth... (transplanting).. theres certain ways to transplant, so do sum research.. on youtube is sum good vids for transplanting.. and other stuff.. ask ur man bout those.. vids..

well i forgot ur in a contest if u will.. so he pry aint gonna drop those good vid links... lol

good luck later..

I'm a first time grower and I am using Sunshine Mix #4, I find that it holds the moisture too well. I water once a week, and even then it doesn't dry out between waterings. Are there any others here using Sunshine Mix #1 or #4? I think I might add some vermiculite next time I transplant.

edit: better yet I could buy that Premier Pro Mix HP that alot of members here are saying great things about.

Hot Grow Chick said:
im gonna start it in the jiffy pellet tonight and when i get in the nutrients and soil in...ill switch it over...
Some will say that they like jiffy pots.I tryed thejiffy pots even after I was told not too.I didnt like them I found that my roots had a hard time getting threw the pots and I didnt break down like it should have.So I never used them again.
This is from Hick in a post about Jiffy Pots:"My experience with them has been pretty negative. "I" don't like nor recommend them. I found them to wick away moisture from the root zone if they aren't completely buried AND after harvest have discovered where the roots definately had a hard time penetrating the peat cups.
If you use them, I recommend scoreing/cutting slits in the cups prior to planting them."
Either way you go,its up to you.Good luck and Keep it GREEN:D

So i put the seed into the jiffy pellet last night...we didn't have those peat cups so we went with what we got...before we transplant them were gonna do the slits in the cup but my bf said it shouldn't matter when we cut em...and he's doing most the stuff in the beginning...i'm gonna pick up after we transplant them...I can't wait til it starts to sprout...

Latest posts

Back