When to know which plant will be your mother plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKuntry

Reaction score
How am I supposed to know which is good mother plant if I'm not supposed to take clippings after flowering has started. Isn't this kind of like the chicken and the egg?

you can allways take a cutting while in veg and put under 12/12 to determine sex ,,,or wait till it shows preflowers ,,,:48:

Sounds like this method will kind of give a heads up on what sex your plant will turn out to be

your plant or cutting will show sex within 3 weeks of going under 12/12 males usually show themselves earlyier than females ,,,in veg whenb the plant starts alternating nodes its sexually mature and can start showing pre fowers,,,some of mine showed sex just under 4 weeks in veg :peace:

You can sample each potential mom while in flower. After a while you should hopefully be able to pick the one you like best. Then, be careful harvesting that plant: leave plenty of bud on her and then reveg, in fact start reveg 2 weeks prior to the 'usual' end of flower. When reveg is well established you can then start taking some clones.

BigKuntry said:
How am I supposed to know which is good mother plant if I'm not supposed to take clippings after flowering has started. Isn't this kind of like the chicken and the egg?

Where did you get the idea that you should not take cuttings after flowering has started? Many, many people clone cuttings that are taken after the plant has been put into flowering. It generally takes the clones a bit longer to flower is all. :D

The Hemp Goddess said:
Where did you get the idea that you should not take cuttings after flowering has started? Many, many people clone cuttings that are taken after the plant has been put into flowering. It generally takes the clones a bit longer to flower is all. :D

i was under that impression that u should really also only clone during veg as it might cause stressing :confussed2:

then again i find it hard enough to clone without adding to the time frame :rofl:

I just take a clone from each potential mother. When they are finished flowering and I can make whatever cutting I want into a mother. I just determine which plant gave me the best smoke and yeild. It gets confusing which are which so I tag them just to be sure. Then I just throw the others out.

BuddyLuv said:
I just take a clone from each potential mother. When they are finished flowering and I can make whatever cutting I want into a mother. I just determine which plant gave me the best smoke and yeild. It gets confusing which are which so I tag them just to be sure. Then I just throw the others out.
.."perfect" B'luv...
take your cuttings, lable them, flower your seed plants, sample the final product, make your choice for a 'Donor', keep that/those rooted cut,...:D

exactly what i will be doing, got 4 possible mother plants, all hybrids with exceptional growth and potency over my ww, gonna reveg the plant that gives the best smoke, yield and ease of growth.

good call buddy luv.

JBonez said:
exactly what i will be doing, got 4 possible mother plants, gonna reveg the plant that gives the best smoke, yield and ease of growth.
IMO, it is easier to clone a cutting like HICK and BUDDYLUV suggested for a potential mother than it is to try to risk revegging. I have lost several great phenos carrying them to "death" in flower, then trying to reveg.;)

I will have to give it a try buddy, thanks!! Do you put them in a dome or just mist them regularly?

godspeedsuckah said:
I will have to give it a try buddy, thanks!! Do you put them in a dome or just mist them regularly?

I have an aero-cloner, no dome, I just mist them a couple times a day.

Pot Belly said:
IMO, it is easier to clone a cutting like HICK and BUDDYLUV suggested for a potential mother than it is to try to risk revegging. I have lost several great phenos carrying them to "death" in flower, then trying to reveg.;)

yeah, i took cuttings, but i mixed them up and one of the plants hermied on my, so i had to get rid of all the possible hermies, you live and ya learn.

better safe then sorry. That is why I tag them, I also put up a piece of paper on the wall that shows what every spot in my cloner is. Double protection I quess.

i can not understand why anyone would want to take cuttings from a plant in veg,when they do nolt even know what the sex is yet.i personally like to grow female plants.also like to take clones from well established females.why is this even an issue?lol its a simple thing to me,female plants make buds.

andy52 said:
i can not understand why anyone would want to take cuttings from a plant in veg,when they do nolt even know what the sex is yet.i personally like to grow female plants.also like to take clones from well established females.why is this even an issue?lol its a simple thing to me,female plants make buds.
The question from the poster is how to determine which plant is your mother plant.

It is very easy to take a cutting from a "seeded" plant, put it in water, and determine sex with that unrooted cutting. This determines "if" host plant is female. Root all female cuttings. Then, take the seeded plants after labeling each one, flower them and see if that particular pheno is the special one you want. The cloned cutting will be a mother if that pheno is what you desire. All the others are tossed. This method works great for me.

Latest posts

Back