When to know which plant will be your mother plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BuddyLuv said:
I have cloned a plant 10 weeks into flower. I am not a firm believer in the "not taking cuttings too late".

I'm a first time grower and started with 5 plants from bagseed. I took six clones from 5 plants while still in vegetation phase and six clones all lived, doing well. After 1 week into flowering I took 8 cuttings from two for sure females, and all of them died. I did everything exactly the same, and am a first time grower, but I am now a firm believer of only taking cuttings in vegetative phase (unless I learn some new tricks on here)

andy52 said:
i can not understand why anyone would want to take cuttings from a plant in veg,when they do nolt even know what the sex is yet.i personally like to grow female plants.also like to take clones from well established females.why is this even an issue?lol its a simple thing to me,female plants make buds.

I have always taken cuttings from the vegging plants. Label them and flower the plants from seed. It not only allows me to see/observe growth structure and rate/vigor of the plant from seed, (which might play a part in the choosiing of a donor), but IMO/E clones make for better donor's. I believe that they naturally tend to produce more lateral branching and are easier to manipulate and less prone to stress. IME, cuts taken during flower are more difficult to root and require more time.

Clone some of the lower popcorn buds on your next run and put them under 24/0 for a couple weeks then 18/6 and watch them go beserk.

The branching structure that results is nothing short of amazing.

Humidity and relatively stable temperatures are the key; otherwise I've not found anything further than normal cloning proceedure.

I've rooted cutting from just about every stage of growth and maturity. Including some blueberry cuts that were taken at 6 weeks into flower. But they took in excess of 30 days to root and another couple of weeks to 'begin' to show new vegetative growth.
Cuts taken in veg' have always been easiest and fastest to root, and the highest success rate "for me"...

No doubt hick. Cuts taken in veg will strike quickest. Strike rate will drop on bud clones and it does take much longer; I was just pointing out that it was possible. I always take clones in the veg.

andy52 said:
i can not understand why anyone would want to take cuttings from a plant in veg,when they do nolt even know what the sex is yet.i personally like to grow female plants.also like to take clones from well established females.why is this even an issue?lol its a simple thing to me,female plants make buds.

ihave found throughout my 3 month experience perusing this web site that andy52 is the person i trust to give me sound advice---i am in the latter stages of my first successful grow room and my results are so far above what i expected--i have a detailed log that i will post eventually--i learned a lot and my 2nd veg room is going to have even better results--thanks andy52--the colonel

..."andy andy he's our man!..
if he can't do it ,
nobody can"... ;) (congrats MVP)
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ..HOOOO-rah! :D

Latest posts

Back