when will I need to add more light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
Right now I have 24 girls under (1) 400w ceramic metal halide. They are taking up a space of about 2x2 currently. At what point do you think I will need more light, or do I already need more? This light has a broad spectrum, but i am worried about the lumens, as it only puts out about 40,000. The girls are pretty young, only about 1 week out of the cloner.

I have a few options for adding more light-

1. Barrow my friends 600w hps bulb and add that to veg (no cost, but lots of work setting up the room to add this light)

2. Buy a 1000w ceramic mh/ or conversion bulb ($150 or so)

3. Swap in my 1000w hortilux hps. (no out of pocket costs)

I want to save as much money as possible, while still optimizing my harvest. Thannks.

Wouldn't hurt to bump it uo now with that many ladies.

the chef said:
Wouldn't hurt to bump it uo now with that many ladies.
which of the 3 options would you choose? Next grow I will add (1) more 400w as these produce ZERO heat.

If this is your only room then put in the 1000w with an hps/conversion bulb, then make sure it won't get too hot for your babies...

that way when they get to 12/12, you just have to switch bulbs....

If this is just a veg room, then get the 600w with a conversion bulb...c'mon now..just do the work ;)

I have 12 under a 600w conversion bulb in my veg room..works great!

I would veg with what you have until the girls are 12 inches tall. Then I would give them the 1000hps for flower for a finish of 3-4 feet if you have the room. I veg under a 250 watt mh. I have about the same amount of plants in same area as you. I put them under 1600 watts hps at 6-12 inches. I add co2 and my plants hit 3-5 feet when finished in soil. For smaller plants I have to put them in straight out of the cloner. I have to use tomato cages to keep the branches from braking under the bud weight.

The 400 MH is good with a 2 X 2 footprint. You will need more light when you transplant to larger containers causing a larger footprint (I'm assuming its a soil grow).

Latest posts

Back