White Powder!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontknowmuch

Reaction score
ok I suspect the white powder I found on a few of my leaves might be powdery mildew/fungus. I am about two weeks from harvest. I have read many home remedies such as baking soda and even milk. Has anyone here had this problem and if so what worked for you? I Have been trying so hard to keep humidity low during lights off..guess I need to try even harder and invest in a dehumidifier. I am running around 40% lights on and 65% to 70% lights off....
Plz any help! My wife need this for medication. I would hate to lose it all in the last hour

If it is PM, I have read that none of those home remedies works.

But I have never had PM so maybe someone will jump in that has experience with PM that late into flower. Best of luck and I hope you get them to pull through.

some pics would be helpful to see how bad it is---pm likes 47% and higher rh---a dehumidifier would be helpful---you might also consider adding ph up to your next watering---you might also consider shutting down the fans and picking off the leaves where you see it---they do contain spores that will get blown around when disturbed---

Serenade is a spray on bacterial countermeasure. (smells a bit funky) I have used it, and feel it helped in knocking back powder mold. Have not used it since buying a dehumidifier set to 65%.
Good luck

I dont know what you should do at this late stage, if it was earlier there are things to do like a sulphur burn but its to close to harvest for that.

It should be mentioned that while PM thrives in high humidity it also thrives in extremely low RH also, when i got PM the humidity was 20%.

Use baking soda mixed with water at like 1tsp/gallon. Spot treat the affected areas and spray all of the large fan leaves. Doing so will raise the pH of the leaf surface and prevent the PM from spreading to treated leafs. Try to avoid spraying the buds directly if at all possible. This will keep it under control until you can harvest. A couple grows back I took in some affected plants and had an outbreak. I was able to control it by doing the above with little damage.

Remove affected leaves as its too late for anything else and yeh to the dehumidifier they are a godsend with high rh.
T4

kiksroks said:
Use baking soda mixed with water at like 1tsp/gallon. Spot treat the affected areas and spray all of the large fan leaves. Doing so will raise the pH of the leaf surface and prevent the PM from spreading to treated leafs. Try to avoid spraying the buds directly if at all possible. This will keep it under control until you can harvest. A couple grows back I took in some affected plants and had an outbreak. I was able to control it by doing the above with little damage.

I really dont believe this will work, but i also believe this is your best/only shot at winning at this late stage so go for it IMO.

dman1234 said:
I really dont believe this will work, but i also believe this is your best/only shot at winning at this late stage so go for it IMO.

Meh. . . I had an outbreak, nothing too dramatic just a few spots on some of the lower leaves, in late flower last round. So I panicked, did some research, and found this method. I sprayed everything down then just spot treated almost daily throughout the rest of the grow and the PM, while always present, did little to no damage to the plants. The vast majority of the leaves survived w/o major damage. Like I said though I did catch it early and my grow room rh is usually too low so YMMV.

edit: I hate posting crap like this. I feel like the PM will know and come pay me a visit to show me what for. Lights on in about 20min. . .

maybe it was just dust. I wiped it off that first day and haven't seen anymore of it since

ah dang it is powder mold and I think the culprit is the vanila kush. I am going to try the milk treatment tonight. I opted for that over the baking soda because of possible burn

kiksroks said:
Meh. . . I had an outbreak, nothing too dramatic just a few spots on some of the lower leaves, in late flower last round. So I panicked, did some research, and found this method. I sprayed everything down then just spot treated almost daily throughout the rest of the grow and the PM, while always present, did little to no damage to the plants. The vast majority of the leaves survived w/o major damage. Like I said though I did catch it early and my grow room rh is usually too low so YMMV.

edit: I hate posting crap like this. I feel like the PM will know and come pay me a visit to show me what for. Lights on in about 20min. . .

What did you spray it all down with?

Baking soda solution. It will not burn the plants but don't do it under the light. I usually pull mine out any time I spray them and let them completely dry before putting them back under the HPS.

ok thanks, I am doing milk now and if that don't work I will try the baking soda

pcduck said:
If it is PM, I have read that none of those home remedies works.

But I have never had PM so maybe someone will jump in that has experience with PM that late into flower. Best of luck and I hope you get them to pull through.

My second attempt at growing I had PM show up and one of the home remedies helped to curb the problem but I still lost a bit as a result. It was about 3.5 weeks to harvest and it cropped up on me. I mixed a tbsp of baking soda into a 2L bottle of water and then lightly misted the leaves as best i could without getting anything on the buds. I also burned a book of matches every few days. I'm not certain the burning matches did anything but i recall reading that PM hates burning sulphur, so if you catch it quick enough you might be alright. You can also take a damp cloth and scrub the leaves gently, but scrubbing every leaf would take a lot of time and careful attention.

on the flip side, If your plant looks like it's growing a coat, there is little you can do.

I don't know if it's safe to smoke if it's covered in the stuff, but mould and mildew is a definite enemy of the respiratory system so I'd lean away from it.

Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not cooking with it may be a safer alternative or if it's better to just turf the crop and start over?

dontknowmuch said:
ok thanks, I am doing milk now and if that don't work I will try the baking soda

if you're 2 weeks from harvest you may not really have enough time to viably test 2 seperate options, it might be better to just stick with one as long as someone has had success with it.

dontknowmuch said:
ok I suspect the white powder I found on a few of my leaves might be powdery mildew/fungus. I am about two weeks from harvest. I have read many home remedies such as baking soda and even milk. Has anyone here had this problem and if so what worked for you? I Have been trying so hard to keep humidity low during lights off..guess I need to try even harder and invest in a dehumidifier. I am running around 40% lights on and 65% to 70% lights off....
Plz any help! My wife need this for medication. I would hate to lose it all in the last hour

There is a product called PM WASH, same people who make Mighty WASH.
I believe you use the PM Wash first, then use the Mighty WASH to rinse off excess residue. Mighy Wash can be used the day of harvest, leaves no residue behind, boasts it right on the bottle. Doesn't smell too bad either, and again, does not leave any residue behind in your product. It's a bit spendy - but a lot cheaper than loosing your whole crop.

Latest posts

Back