White Widow & Northern Light Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nova

Reaction score
Finally started the seeds, no sprouts yet, but i'd figure id record everything from the date of conception to the date of harvest and beyond.

Right now im using a germination chamber and using Black Gold Seedling mix as a medium.

I have 2 NL and 2 WW.....

Will post some more pics upon sprouting and atleast once week update the pics for ya! Hoping for a 100% germ rate and obviously a 100% Female ratio! :cool:

1st Grow - Northern Light - 9-13-07.JPG

1st Grow - White Widow - 9-13-07.JPG

9-13-07 - With Lid.JPG

I got 100% germination and 50% were female.
I put down two seeds also.
Good luck.

screwdriver said:
I got 100% germination and 50% were female.
I put down two seeds also.
Good luck.

If i get one female from each strain im happy. Im growin some mother plants to clone off of! Then when the moms get bushy enough, ill flower them and use one of thier clones as mother....that way i dont have to keep using seeds.... :hubba:

Good luck! My father and I got a WW and NL and some free seeds growin, there 4th week in flower WW are beautiful, the NL are a week behind but not shoing budz yet, they take a while I guess. I hope all is well with you're grow brotha!

BeachWeed420 said:
Good luck! My father and I got a WW and NL and some free seeds growin, there 4th week in flower WW are beautiful, the NL are a week behind but not shoing budz yet, they take a while I guess. I hope all is well with you're grow brotha!

Thanks Beachweed!

Keep me updated on your grow! Since you are growing these same strains id really like to see the progress of your grow!

Ive never grown an official strain before, only bag seed. So i am very curious as to what does and doesnt work with these strains.

How long did you keep your WW in veg? Sadly tho, none of my 20 seeds germinated, which is quite odd. I planted the first 8 on 9-13-07 and the other 12 on 9-15-07, and have not seen a sprout. It's been a pleasantly warm 80 or so degrees where i am at, and i even bought a heating mat for $35 since the nights do go down into the 50's. So i dont know what could be the problem.

I ended up dumping the dirt the seeds were in, i sifted through the dirt, which was a pain, and pulled out 3 of the 20 seeds. They weren't cracked or anything, so i am trying the paper towel and baggie method. Maybe ill get some success, if not, its back to the drawing board.

Nova said:
Thanks Beachweed!

Keep me updated on your grow! Since you are growing these same strains id really like to see the progress of your grow!
I planted the first 8 on 9-13-07 and the other 12 on 9-15-07, and have not seen a sprout.

Nova, are you sure you waited long enough for the seeds to sprout? I believe that it can takes more time than 4-6 days to see a sprout... :confused:

Rdrose said:
Nova said:
Thanks Beachweed!

I planted the first 8 on 9-13-07 and the other 12 on 9-15-07, and have not seen a sprout.

Nova, are you sure you waited long enough for the seeds to sprout? I believe that it can takes more time than 4-6 days to see a sprout... :confused:

In all honesty, i only found 3 of the 20 seeds, so the remaining 17 is still in the soil i used. I plan on using that soil over again with my next grow. I hand sifted through all of the soil before i put it in a container, and i saw no tap roots at all, which can only mean the seeds werent even beginning to sprout. If i didnt give them long enough to germ then they will have plenty of time to germ when i use the soil over again! I honestly dont know what the deal was, we will find out tho, hopefully 3 remaining seeds pull through... :hairpull:

That kinda sucks,

Although mother nature doesnt use the paper towel method, i reccomend it.

I planted 4 seeds once, waited like a week, and nothing at all!

Bought more seeds, put 3 in paper towels, 36hrs later, all had tap roots, and now all 3 are 12 days old in soil and smelling my bedroom out! Mine are also NL, but i dont think i can keep em much longer, will have to give up growing because i feel guilty growing in my dads house without him knowing.

What i do, is get 6 sheets of toilet paper, put seeds in the middle, spray water onto the seeds and in the middle of the tissue, then cover em, spray the top of the tissue lots more until its soaked, put then in a tub, like a lunchbox then half cover with cling film to seal in moisture yet also allow air in. Then put em somewhere slighty warm, mine was on top of my pc, under my desk. And keep em somewhere dark.

so after waiting for 12 days, under a 175w MH lamp, using a germination chamber, and black gold as a medium, I sadly report i got 0 plants out of 20.

I have asked the breeder and the supplier several questions, sent in numerous emails. However, i have only heard back from the supplier and not the breeder. All emails from the supplier had suggested i contact the breeder....

This journal is dead. :hairpull:

:mad: :rant: :confused2:

The really sad thing is, is that i have used this same setup to germinated before with 100% success, so i really cant attribute the setup to the flop of the grow. Im not pointing fingers at anyone per say, but i dont feel my techniques or equipment were involved in this situation....

So, after 20 seeds failed to germ and sprout i was very disappointed in the grow. I lost 10 NL and 10 WW beans, which is very sad, as i was hoping to really grow the white widow and the NL, both of which have a reputation for amazing results.

Dr. Chronic kindly sent me another 10 NL beans to try as the previous batch of beans might have been immature beans. I have never used the paper towel method, however, after swallowing much of my pride and confidence in my technique i used it and got a 5 for 5 germination out of the NL beans.

To much of my dismay so far, it has been 5 days since the seeds germ'd and i put them in soil, and i have yet to see a sprout.

Here's my setup...a few things i bought new just for this specific project...

Box temperature has been maintained to a nize and cozy 'warm' temperature. Soil has been kept moist to the touch. Seeds were planted using a pair of tongs and put just under the surface of the soil. I opted to move the germination and sprouting procedure indoors so i could more closely monitor the babies and provide a much more stable enviroment for them. My grow rooms are located in an outisde greenhouse, and with no plants in flower, it only has a 175w MH to heat it.

Im very worried that something has happened with them, as i usually see sprouts from seeds within 7 days doing it the natural method. It has been 5 days now and not even a sprout.

so whats up? why are my grows going so terribly wrong now, but my previous grows were all 100%? I listed product links so you guys could see exactly what i am using.

tsk tsk! it always takes longer to crack seeds in soil. Before hand you really should drop them in some distilled water for 24hrs in a dark room and wait for the seeds to crack. Typically, I follow Mr. Greens 'i grow chronic' video religiously (with bag seed) and it works great. BUT I use this seed crack method with ALL seeds MJ and not.

This way you dont have to sift the soil later looking for seeds and seedlings.

md.apothecary said:
tsk tsk! it always takes longer to crack seeds in soil.

Nova did sprout the seeds prior to putting them in the soil....

Hey Nova, perhaps someone who uses the same methods you do will step in. Your methods and mine are 180 degrees out.

I don't use any of the methods you do. No heat, no light, no special soil, no green house, no dome.

I sprout the seeds as you have now, and then I put them into a damp peat pellet until they break ground in a day or two.

I've never had a single problem doing it this way.

Good luck. I hope someone who uses your methods enters the thread.

Stoney Bud said:
Nova did sprout the seeds prior to putting them in the soil....

Ah, I didn't see where it mentioned that in the initial post, I just assumed by "started the seeds" it was dropped straight into soil.

Obviously there is a need for some tweaking on germ'ing and sprouting actual strains. Like i said, i have never had a problem with my technique before, but to each seed their own.

I have tried the germ first and plant method, without success, but got quite a bit of success from germ'ing the artificial way. So, im going to go and buy some jiffy cubes and try my luck there. That will make for 3 complete methods ive tried, all natural germing in soil, half-artificial germing in paper towel and planting in soil, and then all-artificial which is germing in paper towel and using a jiffy cube.

Hopefully 3rd time does the chick, as im gonna be all out of ideas....

I will be changing from the Black Gold Seedling mix to the Black Gold Original mix. Hopefully gaining some room for success, ive used the seedling mix on my last 3 grows all with 100% success, but i feel it may be the culprit in my 2nd try at this grow. Only time will tell...

Thanks to all who have gave their input so far, i have been graciously receptive of it all! No joke...again, this is my first actual strain grow, so i have been a little nervous about it throughout the process. Which maybe the plants sense, kinda like a dog maybe, i dunno! LOL! :D

After much hesitation, i decided to unearth my unsprouted seeds.....and what did my eyes see?

One seed was just about sprouted, the damn outer-layer of the seed fell off. The other seeds either had just stayed alive in like a limbo germ stage. I decided to put them back into a paper towel until i can them into jiffy cubes. I also decided to germ the other 5 seeds, so now i have the previous 5 back in the paper and the new 5 seeds in a paper towel. New and old seeds are in seperated paper towels and in seperate baggies. so now i got a total of 10 seeds back into germination, lets hope the previous and older 5 seeds do well...

I have no idea why the seeds stayed in the germ stage, but they did.

these seeds might have superweed strength and a bullet proof shell. Did you scuff them before trying to germ'n?? Just curious...

md.apothecary said:
these seeds might have superweed strength and a bullet proof shell. Did you scuff them before trying to germ'n?? Just curious...

No i did not scuff them at all!

Superweed strength huh? Cant wait to try it then.... :hubba:

Latest posts

Back