Who created this website?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LegendaryGT said:
First, I don't think he was suggesting we name it Pakalolo. In fact, I KNOW those weren't his intentions. He is simply bringing up a VALID point that the plant species is called cannabis sativa (or indica), yet this site uses a term created by anti-cannabis advocates in the 1930s.

I do agree that it isn't viable to change the name, but that's no reason to excuse his argument.

In fact, a lot of you that replied are the ones who are being silly.

For example, The Hemp Goddess: Although it remains true that if you call a plant in the rosa family something else, it still is a rose in the end; this type of argument is totally ad-hoc. If I call a Betty Boop a Blue Moon rose, I am wrong. That is why we have different names for things, so we can be specific. Cannabis is the plant, hemp is the useful form of the cannabis plant fibers, and marijuana is the derogatory term placed on getting high off the cannabis species. So you are the one with a silly criticism.

NorCalHal: "Also, "marijuana" does not conjure up negitive images because of the term"... That is strictly your opinion and just because some documentary is pro-cannabis, yet uses the term marijuana, does not mean that you are somehow right. The fact remains that the word 'marijuana' was created by people who wanted to crush it. Hemp had been used extensively throughout history, but once they created the term marijuana and attached it to the hemp industry, hemp suddenly declined in production and uses.

The Effen Gee: "Besides, changing the name of this site, which is based in Holland(?) and operated by someone who runs a pretty tight ship that has been functional for quite some time now."
This sentence is incomplete, your main clause of "changing the name of this site" needs a subordinate clause such as "would be really confusing", for example. Basically, you don't say the outcome of what changing the name of the site would do. Basically, there is no point to your argument.

And runbyhemp: What the original poster meant is that marijuana has such a negative connotation that it would be harder to legalize marijuana than to legalize cannabis, despite it still referring to the same plant.

So although I agree that marijuana is not the best term (in fact, most likely the worst) for referring to the cannabis species, I also agree that a name change would disrupt the orderly conduct of this forum. But to start accusing this guy of being rude or stupid when he has a valid point is absurd.

The members above seem a bit close-minded... which is weird since it takes an open-mind to try drugs.

ArtVandolay said:
Now I'm wondering if EDIT: OOOPS THG is EDIT: SIC The Hemp Grandmom :hubba:
60s child, too, 1st toke in '68, had a (lucky) draft number. :ccc: You have too much time on your hands.

What did this say before it was edited?????? :eek: This is going to drive me crazy...

:confused: what a thread :confused: ill let you in on a lil secert about this site,,,,, it was made in a country that it is totally legal to have and grow marijauna so just cause you are in the states that does not mean this whole world puts down the magical plant

Puna bud said:
I'm having a hard time fully excepting the name "Marijuana Passion"! Why? The name "marijuana",is totally offensive to anyone who supports the use of medical cannabis!

Well I am a recreational user, and don't have a problem with the name. And I think most of the medical users here would thank you for not making generalizations for them.

'LegendaryGT' understood my intentions, you are way off base 'Hemp Godess',

Okay, I'm sorry for mistaken this site as a Cannabis advocate site. In actuality it's more a recreational site. I was not trying to be rude or offend anybody whatsoever. Life is to short for that, and I'm in my 50's. Last thing I wanna do is spend any free time I have arguing with folks over a name!

Peace!?

a hui hou,

Puna Bud

Puna bud said:

Okay, I'm sorry for mistaken this site as a Cannabis advocate site. In actuality it's more a recreational site. I was not trying to be rude or offend anybody whatsoever. Life is to short for that, and I'm in my 50's. Last thing I wanna do is spend any free time I have arguing with folks over a name!

Peace!?

a hui hou,

Puna Bud

But you joined our site and started disrespecting the name and people in it by saying they are narrow minded ,,what did you expect ,,people to thankyou ! :confused:

Puna bud said:
Last thing I wanna do is spend any free time I have arguing with folks over a name!

:confused2: That's an odd outlook on things seeing that it was you that started the thread?

Puna bud said:
Peace!?

a hui hou,

Puna Bud

Now that I got my jab in above, yeah, let's move on. I read your intro post, you seem like a cool guy, I think this thread was a baptism by fire for you on how much this site means to it's members.

Here ya go... :) :48:

Puna bud said:
I totally support Pakalolo websites. But I'm having a hard time fully excepting the name "Marijuana Passion"! Why? The name "marijuana",is totally offensive to anyone who supports the use of medical cannabis!

Listen, I've been using Pakalolo(hawaiian for Cannabis) probably longer than most of the poster here have been alive! I smoked my first joint back in 1967,and haven't looked back once, since then.

I've been a guerilla farmer for years. I'm also a Cannabis Breeder(backyard Botanist) for close to 20 years too. But getting my state "blue card", has allowed me to come in from the cold! For me it was the single greatest move forward in an attempt to eventually decriminalize Cannabis use, and of course ultimately legalize it!
I fought through all the "Pakalolo Wars" of the 70's on Maui, and in the process lost both property & home in Lahaina Maui. So I take some offense in the use of the word "marijuana", which is slang, and was created by the very people who wish you never smoke the evil weed!:rolleyes: To this day, the use of the word "marijuana" immediately brings up a negative image in the media! That is why people opposed to this magical plant, constantly use the term "marijuana". So I find myself really having a hard time with this name. Knowledgeable people on the right opposed to the use of Cannabis have to be snickering at the name of this website!

I would truly wish the owner/creator of this website would seriously consider changing the name. If the owner is serious about his passion,and who love to see it legalized in his or her lifetime. Please get rid of the name marijuana!!!!

How do most of you members feel about this?
its about the knowledge not the name.this site has alot of good information regardless of the name.you shouldnt waste such time on such nonsense,unless your of course crazy paranoid.hahaha

Puna bud said:

Peace!?

a hui hou,

Puna Bud
.."baptism by fire"..:rofl:.. great analogy :p

Sorry puna.. but I'm sure that no one intended any harm, any more than you did with the name suggestion. ;) You just struck a sensetive chord with some of the members.
I look forward to seeing how you island folks "do it"... KOOL pictures too :)

Welcome to MP! :D

Aloha kakahiaka,
Hele mei hoohiwahiwa cannabis. uwe, are you a Kama’aina ? or Malihini ?
I already know you like Pakalolo, so what kind you like dude ?

Aloha mai no, aloha aku; o ka huhu ka mea e ola' ole ai.

smoke in peace
a hui hou,
KingKahuuna :cool:

Legendary and Puna, Do you both truly understand why the term "Marijuana" was first coined? Effengee said it once.

And to think that the term is holding back the progress of legalization is what is silly. Now, if we called it something else, and tried to pass bills or amendments to local/state or federal constitutions, that would be silly.

In my state, we have come LEAPS and BOUNDS in the struggle for legalization. What we have done in this state has trickled to other states.
Nowhere in the last 15 years has any real MJ advocate even suggested that Marijuana is a negitive term and it is slowing down the struggle.

NORML is and has been on the forefront of MJ legalization, can we agree?

What does NORML stand for boys? National Organization to Refom MARIJUANA Laws. Not Cannibis laws. We are not out to legalize cannibis, as it relates to the "hemp" industry. We are tryin' to legalize Marijuana for Medical and recreational use.

So both your arguments are just plain silly. Write a letter to NORML and explain to them your argument and see what happens.

Do your homework gentlemen.

NorCalHal said:
I don't think your in from the cold yet my friend, not yet. Hawaii only has an ounce limit with a MAX of 7 plants. Your telling me you have been an underground grower who now only grows up to an Ounce? Cmon meow.

hate to burst your bubble but you're wrong there. I can have 24 plants of any stage of maturity, or a dried pound!

NorCalHal said:
First off, Your own state laws governing Meidical Marijuana has the word "marijuana" in it several times. MMJ is a RECOGNIZED term in the Medical community. It is not totally offensive to ANY one I know in the industry, that is for sure.

So because states use the term 'marijuana',this makes it justifiable & legal word? Listen, I know I was out of line coming in and "suggesting" that owner consider name change. I had know idea of origin of this website! Was I out of line, sure. Was the venomous attacks against me justified because of my post asking owner to consider name change....perhaps. But I apologized already.
NorCalHal said:
Also, "marijuana" does not conjure up negitive images because of the term. Watch "Marijuana Nation" tonight on National Geographic @ 10pm pst. It is not called "cannibis nation". And yes, it is pro MJ.

Once again, you have accepted a name/term because the media approved of it? I'm not sure that makes it right does it?

"NorCalHal",I said I made a mistake enough already. Like I said, this is recreational site, not an advocate site....my bad!!!!

NorCalHal said:
And you talk of how "slang" makes you upset. Yet you use "Pakalolo", which is also slang. Your making no sense my friend

I said the term "marijuana" makes me upset. Slang, I could give a rat's *** about that. Call it ganga,weed, crip,mota,lamb's leg, anything but marijuana!:D But that's just my opinion, and folks don't need to get their panties in knot over my statement.

Also, "pakalolo" is not slang either. It's part of the Hawaiian language:)
NorCalHal said:
Now, please don't take offence man, I have been a part of the Medical Marijuana scene here in Cali since '96 and we have come LEAPS and BOUNDS since then. And not once have I heard of a "name change" to gain support of ignorant folks.

unfortunately there are pockets in America were the people are rather slow to grasp things, and this is where the Government starts their scare tactics with phrases,terms, & words.
It is my opinion that the word "marijuana" has had a negative effects on the efforts to legalize cannabis. It is also my opinion that decriminalization of cannabis is also slowing down the process of getting it legal. But hey, it's just my opinion, and nothing more!

Puna bud said:
hate to burst your bubble but you're wrong there. I can have 24 plants of any stage of maturity, or a dried pound!

An “adequate supply” must not exceed three mature marijuana
plants, four immature marijuana plants, and one ounce of
usable marijuana per each mature plant at any given time.
Hawai`i’s state Narcotics Enforcement Division (NED) is
interpreting this to mean that a patient (and/or caregiver) can
have 7 plants and/or 3 ounces of useable marijuana on hand at​
any given time.

Ahhh...this is from YOUR states Guide to MMJ revised on Aug 2008....

Is your Doctor able to "up" the limit you can possess? I know in Cali that Counties can set limits, BUT a doctor can override the limits, as long as he/she does it in writing.

Puna bud said:
So because states use the term 'marijuana',this makes it justifiable & legal word? Listen, I know I was out of line coming in and "suggesting" that owner consider name change. I had know idea of origin of this website! Was I out of line, sure. Was the venomous attacks against me justified because of my post asking owner to consider name change....perhaps. But I apologized already.

Your not out of line man, this is what forums are for man. This has been an interseting thread. Everyone is entilted to thier opionon.

Puna bud said:
Once again, you have accepted a name/term because the media approved of it? I'm not sure that makes it right does it?

"NorCalHal",I said I made a mistake enough already. Like I said, this is recreational site, not an advocate site....my bad!!!!

Well, I may not be as old as you, I am only 40, but Marijuana is what I and many others have grown up with. At least we don't call this site "The Devils Lettuce Passion", could be worse.
Again, I refer you to NORML and what that stands for. I would consider them "advocates".

Puna bud said:
unfortunately there are pockets in America were the people are rather slow to grasp things, and this is where the Government starts their scare tactics with phrases,terms, & words.
It is my opinion that the word "marijuana" has had a negative effects on the efforts to legalize cannabis. It is also my opinion that decriminalization of cannabis is also slowing down the process of getting it legal. But hey, it's just my opinion, and nothing more!

Again, I refer you to NORML.

NorCalHal said:
Legendary and Puna, Do you both truly understand why the term "Marijuana" was first coined? Effengee said it once.

And to think that the term is holding back the progress of legalization is what is silly. Now, if we called it something else, and tried to pass bills or amendments to local/state or federal constitutions, that would be silly.

In my state, we have come LEAPS and BOUNDS in the struggle for legalization. What we have done in this state has trickled to other states.
Nowhere in the last 15 years has any real MJ advocate even suggested that Marijuana is a negitive term and it is slowing down the struggle.

NORML is and has been on the forefront of MJ legalization, can we agree?

What does NORML stand for boys? National Organization to Refom MARIJUANA Laws. Not Cannibis laws. We are not out to legalize cannibis, as it relates to the "hemp" industry. We are tryin' to legalize Marijuana for Medical and recreational use.

So both your arguments are just plain silly. Write a letter to NORML and explain to them your argument and see what happens.

Do your homework gentlemen.

listen, this is my last post on this thread about this subject. You folks seem intent on keeping this going for some reason. As a Cannabis advocate I can say first hand you're wrong and the word "marijuana" truly doesn't help the cause. Will it kill the cause of getting it legalized...I doubt it! But it does hamper it's progress forward. Let me give you an example. I'm a cannabis advocate, and on my island of Hawaii we went to get signatures to have an initiative put on the ballot to make cannabis a low priority. I went door to door in the jungle of Puna. Plenty of folks my parents age upon seeing the word "marijuana" wanted nothing to do with it! It's the ignorance of the older masses that this word conjures up such negative energy opposed to this beautiful plant! These are the same people who claim "marijuana" is immoral! Immoral!!! Are they kidding, not in their minds!!! But use the scientific term of Cannabis, and you end up getting more signatures. I mean these are the same elderly folks that will say that GW Bush did bang up job for 8 years too!!!!!:eek: But he didn't did he?

Again it is my opinion that the path to legalization would be easier without these kinda bumps in the road.

As for NORMAL, yes I know the acronym. I donate money to them every year! Listen, I'm not gonna keep myself on the slippery slope by keep trying to defend my use of words. Again JUST MY OPINION, that's all!

Let this thread die already;)

KingKahuuna said:
Aloha kakahiaka,
Hele mei hoohiwahiwa cannabis. uwe, are you a Kama’aina ? or Malihini ?
I already know you like Pakalolo, so what kind you like dude ?

Aloha mai no, aloha aku; o ka huhu ka mea e ola' ole ai.

smoke in peace
a hui hou,
KingKahuuna :cool:

I'm a Kanaka Maoli! raised on Maui, now living Big Island. As for "crip", I'm partial to Indica. Except when I go it here in Puna I get "bud rot" to often. So I wanna breed a cross strain with something that is mold resitant?

Brah, I'm not picky, I love anything that makes my day more mellow! What is your choice? How about you brah,....Kama'aina or malihini? Are you in the islands now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back