Who uses HPS for the hole grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Richy-B said:
Everytime I tried 12in it would stress my leaves or so I was thinking. It was turnning the tips of the leaves yellow. And they crumbled off.Is that nute burn? or heat stress? I'm still kind of new to indoor growing. Outdoors is so much easier. But yes everybody seemed like hps for the whole grow was not a good thing to do when I asked about it.

As long as you have proper air flow, a 250 watt HPS shouldn't burn leaves at 12 inches. There are a zillion different manufacturers of bulbs, so maybe there is one out there that is that hot. I use my 430 watt bulbs at 18 inches and get no burn. Lots of air motion helps.

It's an Agromax, High Output Horticultural Lamp. 250 watt hps. 35,000 Lumens.30% additional "blue" spectrum combined with "Red" spectrum creates correct balance for Maximum Plant Growth. That's all directly from the box. It had to be nute burn on the leaves then. Thanx!

My thermostat in the closet reads 78-80 degrees all the time with a 40% to 50% humidity level. Perfect aitflow. Fans,humidifiers,vents the whole nine yards. So, it must be nute burn on my leaves.:)

In a nut shell...red and orange colors in the light spectrum cause the nodes to spread apart rather than blue and purple cause shorter node distances leaving the plant stockier (along side clipping the tops). But you can use hps during veg to bloom.

gulfsurfer said:
In a nut shell...red and orange colors in the light spectrum cause the nodes to spread apart rather than blue and purple cause shorter node distances leaving the plant stockier (along side clipping the tops). But you can use hps during veg to bloom.

I use HPS for the entire grow. It works great. What do you mean when you say "But you can use hps during veg to bloom"?

Yup..I use a 400watt HPS throughout and ive never had any problems.. weather thats 8 to 10 inches away from the plant with a couple of fans, or with my LST i like to raise it and have it roughly 15 to 18" from the top of my plant...

I like that little extra stretch when doing LST as it gives you more to tie down so you can expose the lower growth..

I dont know much about light spectrum / colour affect on how the plant grows, but i do know every situation is different, you guys have to remember that just because you have your 1000watt hps 10 inches from the plants with amazing results, doesnt mean the next guy will.. all manor of things will affect the grow environment, area in the world, season (temp and humidity) grow area size, strain, nutes, grow method etc.

Stoney Bud said:
I use HPS for the entire grow. It works great. What do
you mean when you say "But you can use hps during veg to bloom"?

I was just stating that you can use hps throughout the grow cycle with no complications.

gulfsurfer said:
I was just stating that you can use hps throughout the grow cycle with no complications.
Hahahaaha, I see. I was reading it another way. I thought you were saying you could use it while vegging to make the plants bloom.

English is a weird language sometimes....hahahahaaha

Thanks for clearing that up for me man.

Stoney.

Stoney Bud said:
Hahahaaha, I see. I was reading it another way. I thought you were saying you could use it while vegging to make the plants bloom.

English is a weird language sometimes....hahahahaaha

Thanks for clearing that up for me man.

Stoney.

I see how you could have thought that. I should have clarified myself.

the_riz said:
Yup..I use a 400watt HPS throughout and ive never had any problems.. weather thats 8 to 10 inches away from the plant with a couple of fans, or with my LST i like to raise it and have it roughly 15 to 18" from the top of my plant...

I like that little extra stretch when doing LST as it gives you more to tie down so you can expose the lower growth..

I dont know much about light spectrum / colour affect on how the plant grows, but i do know every situation is different, you guys have to remember that just because you have your 1000watt hps 10 inches from the plants with amazing results, doesnt mean the next guy will.. all manor of things will affect the grow environment, area in the world, season (temp and humidity) grow area size, strain, nutes, grow method etc.

That's what I'm saying. alot of people think it's their way or no way, but I take advice from everybody. It's the only way to learn. Asking dumb questions.HAHA

Richy-B said:
That's what I'm saying. alot of people think it's their way or no way, but I take advice from everybody. It's the only way to learn. Asking dumb questions.HAHA

Great way to look at things. Thats the way to learn. (Hate to sound like a teacher but....)There is no such thing as dumb questions. Ask questions and learn.

Hey ya'll,
It was just nute burn! I 've gave my babies water without the nutes for about 4 days now and the yellowed leaves have fell off, the leaves perked up so much that they were pointing up, and the plant is oh so green now! I wasn't watering it enough either. A much better looking plant. When I find my camera I'll take some pics and post.

That's excellent to hear man.

A lesson learned is a valuble thing indeed.

Good luck to you man!

Latest posts

Back