Will #5 pots accomodate 4-5 foot plants?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maryjanenewbie

Reaction score
My plants are now about 15" I was thinking about starting flowering at 18". I have them in #5 nursery pots, which I have been told are approx 3 1/3 gals. They look great and have no issues. The soil is FFOF and using nutes every 3rd watering. Will these pot accommodate good flowering or will they out grow and need to be transplanted. I'm using a 400w MH and have a HPS for flowering. My grow journal is posted with pictures at 5 weeks.

How tall is your area? A lot depends on strain. Look into LST and Supercropping often called pinching to maximize yield and keep your plant low.

I'm not concerned with height. I have 8' ceiling less light. I'm asking if the plants with need to be transplanted due to lack of room for root development. Will the plants will be come root bound

I am growing my Blue Mystics under a 400w MH right now then a 1000w HPS. I grow until 20" in 5 gallon nursery pots with no LST for mostly indica dominant strains in a 7' tall room. My plants end up being 5' tall including the 1' tall pots. This leaves me 2' between the plants and ceiling which allows for 1' of the lamp and 1' of space between the light and tops. So all in all we have similar setups and I never transplant. Grow straight out of soil from beginning and never have problems... I say you are fine. Wouldn't wanna stress your girls that far in if possible.

you should be fine. All plants will grow to the size of their container or to what their environment will allow.
plants will of course become root bound over time, but i think in this situation you will be just fine. Though id think about flowering soon just to be safe
good luck yo

Disco94 said:
I am growing my Blue Mystics under a 400w MH right now then a 1000w HPS. I grow until 20" in 5 gallon nursery pots with no LST for mostly indica dominant strains in a 7' tall room. My plants end up being 5' tall including the 1' tall pots. This leaves me 2' between the plants and ceiling which allows for 1' of the lamp and 1' of space between the light and tops. So all in all we have similar setups and I never transplant. Grow straight out of soil from beginning and never have problems... I say you are fine. Wouldn't wanna stress your girls that far in if possible.

Are you running a grow journal? I ask because I am about to start germing some Blue Mystic and it would be good to see what's happening with another grow.

Hello maryjanenewbie-

The very short answer to your question is yes, the pots they are in will accomodate the plants you have in them. However, they will not get to be 4 or 5 feet tall for several reasons.

First off, you are growing an indica dominant strain, correct? Switching to 12/12 at 18" under a 400 watt light, in the size pot they are in, they won't reach 4' during flower.

Put them in a bigger pot, say 5 gallon, and they will grow bigger and healthier... but you won't have enough light from a single 400 watt bulb to effectively light the canopy of 7 plants. The 5 gallon pots will take up too much space and spread them out too far.

Have they shown sex yet? What schedule are you on, 24/0 or 18/6? When I grow indicas, they usually show sex at 6 weeks on an 18/6 schedule. Perhaps that may make your decisions easier if you have to cull a few males.

4 plants under a 400 watt light in 5 gallon pails (I use 24 quart kitchen trash cans with holes in the bottom- they have handles, makes them easier to move if need be) should grow very nicely under a 400 watter.

IMHO, as it stands now, your plants will most likely end up root bound.

Just my .02. Good luck.

leafminer said:
Are you running a grow journal? I ask because I am about to start germing some Blue Mystic and it would be good to see what's happening with another grow.

No journal due to no camera. I always post pics of harvest and give smoke reports though so tune in around January next year.

The "general rule of thumb" is 1 gal of soil for every foot of height.

Latest posts

Back