yellow/brown spots on some leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyd944

Reaction score
Im about 3 weeks into flowering and have started noticing these spots on 2 of my plants. Plants are roughly 10-15 inches under a 600W HPS light. Temps during the day around the top leaves stick around 78, humidity around 40-50%.
I water about every 4 days or so, or when I notice they start drooping. Pots are ~5 Gal with Fox Farm soil. I water with Arrowhead distilled water, 1 Gal, which I add 1.5 ml of GH Flora Nova Bloom and 5 drops of GH Floralicious. I PH the mix to ~6. Two other plants getting the same regimen have no spots on them.
Any ideas?

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0682.JPG

I had the same thing going on awhile back, it was diagnosed as a P deficiency. I was also watering with a low ph'd water. Brought it back up to 6.8 or so instead of 6.3 and it seems to have helped a little bit. The plants are doing better, Do you know the runoff of your soil? What pH are you watering with,you say 6 but how do you check it? I think that could be the same thing I was battling. Wait for the experts to chime in...

Ive never really tested the runoff. I test the water/nute mix with the standard 3-4 drop tester than compare the color. Im thinking maybe i need to alternate watering with straight water every other time instead of nute mix every time...

Yes, if your feeding your plants everytime your watering, and your watering every 3-4 days that is probably your problem right there. Which Fox farm are you using? I used the ocean forest with amazing results when i started to grow it was just to expensive.... I can make cheaper mixes with peat moss based mediums, and still get fantastic results...

Hello scottyd944
Yellowing (Chlorosis) - Chlorosis is a yellowing of leaf tissue due to a lack of chlorophyll. Possible causes of chlorosis include poor drainage, damaged roots, compacted roots, high alkalinity, and nutrient deficiencies. Nutrient deficiencies may occur because there is an insufficient amount in the soil or because the nutrients are unavailable due to a high pH. Note- Always check the pH before increasing nutrient level. In the last few weeks of flowering a yellowing of the leaves is completely normal as the plant uses up all stored nutrients.

Yellowing - Lower/Middle Leaves - Yellowing of the lower leaves/older growth is a sign of a possible Nitrogen (N) deficiency. Nitrogen is a transferable element (this means the plant can move it around as needed). If a plant is not receiving enough Nitrogen from the roots then it will rob Nitrogen from the older growth. Plants that are Nitrogen deficient will exhibit a lack of vigor and grow slowly resulting in a weak and stunted plant that is significantly reduced in quality and yield. In a Hydroponic system, usually the pH is too high and has locked out the available Nitrogen. In soil a yellowing of the lower leaves could also be an indication of a root bound plant .

Solution - First, check the pH, and adjust if necessary. The correct pH for marijuana is 6.3 - 6.8 in soil and 5.5 - 6.1 in a hydroponic system. Second, make sure you are giving the correct amount/type of fertilizer/nutrients. For the vegetative stage of growth marijuana needs a fertilizer/nutrient with a high Nitrogen (N) content like 2-1-1 (or 20-10-10).

Yellowing - Upper (New Growth) - Yellowing of the upper (new growth) of the plants could be a sign of a Sulphur (S) deficiency. Sulphur deficiency is pretty rare but usually start off as a yellowing of the entire ‘younger’ leaf including the veins. Other signs of sulfur deficiency are: Elongated roots, woody stems, and Leaf tips curling downward. Note- Most yellowing of the upper leaves is a bleaching from being too close to the lights.

Solution - Check and adjust the pH level as necessary. Check your fertilizer/nutrient levels and make sure you are giving the correct amount/type for you particular stage of growth. Also a good test to see if your lights are too close is to put your hand between the light and the plant. If your hand gets too hot for comfort, the light is too close and needs to be moved up higher. Peace and i hope this may help you ! As i am unsure if that is a top or bottom leaf !

Latest posts

Back