Yellowing Fan Leaves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key2life

Reaction score
Hey All,

4 weeks into flower now, and some of my fan leaves are turning yellow. From what I can gather, this is normal to some degree - as the plant is using up its stored nutrients. Is this correct? Have I got a problem?

I'm growing in FFOF and using Technaflora nutes, feeding every 3rd watering. I fed today, the first time at full strength. All the plants seem healthy and are growing really well, as far as I can tell. Problem is, I don't know much about what I'm doing, so I want to make sure I'm not screwing up with just 4 weeks or so to go. I've included pics, and my grow journal is "A Greenhorns First Grow" if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance for all help! GREEN MOJO TO ALL!

:icon_smile: key :icon_smile:

yellow1.jpg

yellow2.jpg

yellow3.jpg

That is normal, at least in my garden. Now if it was the smaller sugar leaves then I would be concerned.

Thanks, pcduck - I appreciate your help. Other than the yellowing, we're all good, I think! Due to post some more pics in the next day or 2 on the grow thread.

Yellow leaves always indicate a nutrient problem, but the cause of the nutrient problem isn't always lack of nutrients. Too much or too little water, too cold, too hot etc. pH being too far off, onset of disease, many factors.
so IMO its not normal and yields will suffer your plants are hungry period.
In flowering phase plants need more food as well as N i would suggest feeding every watering in bloom stage and monitoring your ph water less more frequently to avoid over watering a plant @ 7 weeks flowering healthy and going to be a good yield

dscf4359.JPG

dscf4360b.jpg

Yellowing leaves are not ALWAYS indicative of a nute/ph problem. FFOF tends to run out of N quickly with my Sat-heavy jack47's. Additional N is needed to boost it for the last jog to the end of the line.

Yes what 7G said. Those leaves look like a grow in ffof at week 5. I would give a tad of N in worm casings or whatever you have.

I agree more or less with DF that you need to feed more often. The issue isn't bad but typically in flower the plants need more nutrients for building flowers. If it isn't getting enough then it will start stealing from the lower fan leaves. I would say to feed every other watering. (I feed every time I water) :)

Thanks to all who answered! I appreciate it! Will some milorganite get me where I want to go? I'll also step up the feedings - sounds doable.

GREEN MOJO! THANK YOU!

key

From their website: hMPp://milorganite.com/en/Using-Milorganite/Why-Use-Milorganite.aspx

"Milorganite’s slow-release formula provides nitrogen and other nutrients over an 8-10 week period for even growth "

I'd probably steer away from any slow release. You're going to want that N to be available immediately to correct the N-loss. Plus it'll still be giving increased N when you'll want to minimize the N intake. I personally LIKE seeing that fade at the last two to three week mark, ime/o. It means there's none resident in the soil or plant. Most ppl say why starve a plant but my results speak otherwise.

yes i have to agree with df and 7 eyes. you need to feed more often and with more n your about half way into flowering so you should see a nice boost in flowers. i use the yellowing leaves to tell me when to feed my ladies. i been growing in 640z cups for over a year now and the one thing you get alot of is yellowing of the leaves learned alot in the last year. keep up the good work key your doing good

Thanks again, all. I'm using some blood meal to try and boost N levels, and will definitely feed more often. Should the blood meal help?

peace, key

I believe that is high in Nitrogen so I would use it sparringly at this point because too much could stall the flowering process. A little bit watered in should green them back up within a week. :)

take one tablespoon of dried blood meal add it to one gallon of water, wait at least three days blood needs time to break down and leach N into water.
Word of warning it stinks like hell and when its had time to get strong it smells worse no need to heat and boil mixture as this will only produce more smells

blood tea must be prepared in advance and imho it's not worth the stink god help you if you spill it in doors

blood tea is only good for N you must still feed P+K at high doses in bloom stage
Hush is right about to much N in flowering although N is needed how much is added can also slow the bloom process down and cause other issues
I think we should start a thread to give growers some numbers of what is needed for veg and bloom stages

Wow - blood tea doesn't sound worth it to me, either, Doc! I'll get some N in there some easier way, I think. Hushpuppy - thanks, man, I had no idea too much can jam up flowering - a great piece of info for a greenhorn.

Latest posts

Back