2nd Grow (Newbie)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyLiving29

Reaction score
This will be my 2nd growing indoors. Three plants total until sexing. I'm using GH Waterfarm (complete kit/single unit) and GH nutrients. I will be applying GH 3 part nutes using their ratio. I will be using one 30K CFL, one 41K CFL and one 50K CFL bulb in a multi spectrum light system. This will be the configuration for growth with light being cycle as followed:
  1. Light will be on seedlings 17/7 for 2 wks before transplanting to water farm.
  2. 2 wks of 16/8 followed by 2 wks of 14/10 followed by 2 wks of 12/12 (sexing and remainder of flowering).
Once flowering begins bulbs will be changed to two 30K CFL's and one 50K CFL bulb. In addition, one 100 watt soft white CFL will be placed on lower half of plant on each side. Temperature in room ranges from 72 degrees (F) and 85 degrees (F) with one ceiling fan (on medium) and another oscilating fan (on medium). Window allow circulation with no issues with humidity, insects or molds/fungus. Keep a very clean grow room.

With this information I was hoping to find any suggestions, comments, questions and/or concerns. I am new and have done a lot of homework on my hobby and with all I know now I want to be able to understand any help I might get for my next grow. My hobby is for my enjoyment only.

People here have been very helpful and I appreciate all the support. I hope I can return the favor in the future.

Start your plants out at 1/2 the dosages recommended by GH. You can work up from there. I personally find the amounts too high for my strains.

How many watts/lumens are you running and how big is your space? Don't mess around with weird light schedules. Turn the lights on and leave them on 24/7 until you are ready to flower. And then put them into 12/12. When you flower you will need to do something with the window. They are going to need 12 hours of absolute darkness, uninterrupted by any kind of light.

If you can keep your temps below 80, your girls will like it...

hey, sounds like a good grow... ive always wanted to use cfls, im gonna watch this grow

stoner said:
hey, sounds like a good grow... ive always wanted to use cfls, im gonna watch this grow

LOL this may change as of today. The light system I have has been a real issue and I've been advised to use a HPS system. The light that I'm currently using has been nothing but a pain while flowering over the past 10 weeks. (Take a look at my thread titled 9+ weeks no trichomes). The light bulbs alone will run me close to $100 for just 2 CFL 30K. I can by a 150 HPS system for less than that. So I am still playing with the idea and may use both on but on two different plants (experimenting still a newbie). Nevertheless, if I decide to run with this idea I will keep this thread going with pics and use it for data/research for newbies. Thanks for the interest!

The Hemp Goddess said:
Start your plants out at 1/2 the dosages recommended by GH. You can work up from there. I personally find the amounts too high for my strains.

How many watts/lumens are you running and how big is your space? Don't mess around with weird light schedules. Turn the lights on and leave them on 24/7 until you are ready to flower. And then put them into 12/12. When you flower you will need to do something with the window. They are going to need 12 hours of absolute darkness, uninterrupted by any kind of light.

If you can keep your temps below 80, your girls will like it...

I have been using the GH nutrients on my last grow and on some newbie's. I have had no problem (as of yet) with GH nutrients. But I will remember your advice on that (have read that several times). As for light, that may change I will keep you updated on what I may use. The room is 3 feet by 4 feet (closet). Check out my other thread's and you can see the problems I've had up to this point (only if your interested).

So NO screwing with the lights? I read that lower light to darkness (16/8) helps in producing more females. Now I could be WAY off it was just a consideration. My only problem with 24/0 is my own sanity. I am more comfortable with 18/6 would that still be fine as well?

The window is covered for darkness now. I have that issue under control. Now when you switch to flowering (sexing) to you give 24-48 hours of complete darkness before turning 12/12 on? Just curious, that seems to be a personal choice. Any thought behind that?

Thanks again for you advice.

EasyLiving29 said:
...So NO screwing with the lights? I read that lower light to darkness (16/8) helps in producing more females. Now I could be WAY off it was just a consideration. My only problem with 24/0 is my own sanity. I am more comfortable with 18/6 would that still be fine as well?

The window is covered for darkness now. I have that issue under control. Now when you switch to flowering (sexing) to you give 24-48 hours of complete darkness before turning 12/12 on? Just curious, that seems to be a personal choice. Any thought behind that?

Thanks again for you advice.

I've checked out your other threads :D.

What does running the lights 20/4 have to do with your sanity? You can run your lights 18/6 if you want, but, IMO, it gains you nothing and lengthens your vegging period. Do not do the 2 week at this and 2 week at that thing however. There is also no reason for a dark period before flowering.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I've checked out your other threads :D.

What does running the lights 20/4 have to do with your sanity? You can run your lights 18/6 if you want, but, IMO, it gains you nothing and lengthens your vegging period. Do not do the 2 week at this and 2 week at that thing however. There is also no reason for a dark period before flowering.

Okay:D you have put me in my place. With the new light system we discussed will heat be an issue. And for veg 24/0 for 4 weeks after seedling appears correct? before flipping to 12/12?

Here are the nutrients that I will be using on this grow. Please advise if I need anything else.

1.) 3 part Flora GH
2.) Kool Bloom Liquid (until week 7 or so)
3.) Kool Bloom Powder for last 2-3 weeks
4.) Flora Kleen (after every water/nutrient change running for 1.5 hours) and at the end of final flush.

If there is anything else I might add please let me know and advise what benefits it may have. Just want to make sure all fits together.

Latest posts

Back