70watt HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jane_doe

Reaction score
Well a buddy of ours gave my husband this light, he got from a BurgerKing they had out in the parking lot. I googled the bulb and found its good for growing but my husband refuses to set it up, due to the energy and says that it would take a dryer outlet to work. I think he is full of crap! I wanted to know how to set it up? its all incased. His friend says its got all it needs just to work just get a 3 wire plug and attach it to make it work.

So what do yall think?

light1.jpg

light2.jpg

light3.jpg

not true, those run of 120volts they can wired in with romex to a wall socket plug. i was just looking at them today as a matter of fact.

and due to the low wattage. you won't have that large of spike in ur electric bill.

jane_doe said:
Well a buddy of ours gave my husband this light, he got from a BurgerKing they had out in the parking lot. I googled the bulb and found its good for growing but my husband refuses to set it up, due to the energy and says that it would take a dryer outlet to work. I think he is full crap! I wanted to know how to set it up? its all incased. His friend says its got all it need just need to work just get a 3 wire plug and attach it to make it work.

So what do yall think?

I am very pleased to inform you that your correct and your husband is, indeed, "full of crap" (and also knows nothing about electricity). This is a 70 watt bulb--so it takes more energy than a 60W incandescent, but less than a 75W incandescent--which you probably have scattered throughout your home. They run off regular 110. All you need is a 3 wire cord and some wire nuts (or other connectors)

GREAAAAATTTT!! you guyz have made me one happy lady! So now I just got to getter hooked up!

thanks so much for the replys!

jane_doe said:
GREAAAAATTTT!! you guyz have made me one happy lady! So now I just got to getter hooked up!

thanks so much for the replys!

Hey, us gals got to stick together, especially when we are right :hubba:.

I got spares of that bulbs.. that 70 watt hps bulbs works great for me too..
it sure got hot, but be sure use fans or have a air cooler to go though that light... but you got only one bulb, I think you will be fine I used 7 bulbs in one place.. that gets sure HOT!!

thanks papa I didn't think about heat. Right now I have just one of the big round house fans running on my plants to keep the stems healthy.. would that be fine? or would it need something closer to it?

jane_doe said:
thanks papa I didn't think about heat. Right now I have just one of the big round house fans running on my plants to keep the stems healthy.. would that be fine? or would it need something closer to it?

I have a 400w hps in my closet with a house fan and temps rarely exceed 80 degrees. I think you would be OK with a 70w. Only way to find out is hook her up and run it for a while and see.

jane_doe said:

yeah ceiling fan works fine... add one one fan stand.. adjust the air circulation you will be fine.. :D

Looks like quite the find, I'll be off to Home Depot tomorrow to get some for me for some fill lighting. Will these lights need ballasts?

blancolighter said:
Looks like quite the find, I'll be off to Home Depot tomorrow to get some for me for some fill lighting. Will these lights need ballasts?

these lights low as 70 watts do not need any ballast..

before you try it you really need to open the ballast compartment and verify it is wired for 120v. if it was used in a parking lot it could be 120, 208, 240, 277, or 480 volts. the cord could be any of these voltages, alot of outdoor lighting maintenance and construction guys (like me) dont rely on the wiring color codes when it comes to outdoor lighting, especially the wiring in poles.

open the ballast compartment and look for info on a sticker inside. if the info inside says: "voltage 120" you are o.k. if it reads: voltage 120, 208, 240, 277then check the ballast lead the black wire is connected to. the ballast lead should have the voltage printed on it. hope this helps

bombbudpuffa said:
Yes...a 70w hps needs a ballast. Most definitely;).
THANK you BBP. so much confusion over those small hids. good call dude.
but a lot of ballasts can switch from 220 and 120 just a jumper or a rewire of the leads.

The smaller HIDs have the ballast and the socket in 1 unit, like this one--they are not remotely located, although you can make them so. All HIDs need ballasts.

Thanks guyz for the help. I haven't got it set up yet still trying to find the right plug.

Clanchattan, I'll check that out for sure. Let you know what I find.

Sorry for the delay in responding my computer refused to work. So I had to dump everything and start over. I've been so pist.. all my photos, videos, doc, music.... gone :( But at least computer's running again lol :)

Latest posts

Back