9 grams per/watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stoney I'm excited to see what comes of your experiment, and commend you on haveing the balls to even make it public. Nothing good that we have in our lives was given without people willing to take risks. If your experiment fails at least you had the guts to give it a shot, way more than the few that sit behind their computer screens tossing negative energies. With 60 yrs growing experience I would say that you are just the guy to attempt this, and I wish all the luck in the world! The nay-sayers only wish that they had the brains or the balls to see this one through. I look forward to watching this!

Well thanks, legalize_freedom, I grow pretty consistently, and the electric costs are killin me. The extra heat produced during our usual 90+ degrees outside, makes the air conditioning work overtime and cost even more.

If the LED's work the way I think I can make them work, I'll use about 200 watts where I was using 860 for lights. Plus, it will produce no heat, so the air conditioning will run much less. All in all, I think it will be quite the savings.

It will also eliminate any "heat signature" is someone was really bored and did an IR scan on my roof.

It's a win-win if it works. I'm letting my host plants grow out right now for the cuttings I think I can go with 4 plants per/tub for now. That will give me the exact diameters of the colas and tell me the spacing that is possible to max out the next grow after this one.

Then, of course, the grow after that will have two layers of plants....IF the first layer works.

Stoney,

Either I misunderstood your reply to dirtyolsouth's post regarding BUSHMASTER or you misunderstood his post.

BUSHMASTER is NOT a nute, it is a growth hormone type of vertical growth inhibitor that nearly stops vertical growth at the height when it is applied. My understanding from having spoken with them over the telephone is that it can be used at any point in the plant's life and with any nute, or even with plain water if you're not using nutes.

Great Idea but I'm a little confused about what the double decker grow has to do with the 9 gm/watt thing. Since you will be using the same amount of wattage on each level, how will doing the double decker thing prove anything except that double decking will work?

There is no question in my mind about whether or not a double decker grow will work because the plants are NOT intelligent enough to know whether they are growing under a 2' ceiling or under a second bed 2' above them. IF you duplicate exactly the same conditions for each bed, you should get the same results out of both decks, or did I miss something basic to the experiment?

I think your experiment would be more relevant if you kept repeating the same grow, regardless of whether it is a single deck or double deck until you maximize your yield per watt, rather than repeating the same grow the second time only in 2 decks. I know from personal experience that it will be very hard (for me impossible) to repeat the second grow exactly with the only variable being whether you used 1 or 2 decks, at least until you have the whole LED thing dialed in.

Either way, I do NOT have the knowledge or experience to predict the outcome of your experiment other than to predict that if you exactly duplicate the conditions for each grow, you will get twice as much bud using 2 decks, regardless of whether they are stacked or side by side.

I respect my elders, even if they are younger than me but have more experience. You are way more experienced and knowledgeable that I will ever be!

As t the LED issue, I remember when they first came out for truck lighting there were most of the same arguments that we are seeing in the grow issue. Now they are pretty much standard equipment on new trucks and trailers. However, just like in our area of use, the LED technology will NOT solve related but different issues. For example, on heavy trailers, one of the biggest causes of light failure is corrosion at the terminals connecting the light to the wiring harness regardless of the type of light and going to LEDs did NOT solve that problem. The crap they dump on our roads to deice them still eats up the connectors regardless of whether the light is LED or incandescent.

Like wise, switching to LEDs will NOT cure other problems like using the lights too far from the growing part of the plant, or using the wrong light cycle or the wrong nute and so on. NO new technology will ever take the place of knowledge and experience.

Whether or not you reach anywhere near the 9 gm/watt goal, your experiment is probably going to show a significant increase over your current yield because you have learned everything you could learn without trying it. You also have the other variables in your operation dialed in to the point that even though it will be in 2 different grows, your result should be very consistent because you will duplicate as close as possible the same exact conditions in both grows except for the double deck issue.

May I suggest an additional record keeping and analysis for the experiment? Please keep the data for the upper and lower beds separate so that not only will you be able to analyze the overall yield information but also whether it makes any difference whether the plants are in the upper or lower bed.

Once again, I admire your under taking this experiment and your tolerance and patience with those of you that say it can't be done without even having tried and, for the few that have actually tried, haven't shared, if they kept it in the first place, enough data to enable us draw meaningful conclusions about why it did or didn't work. In order to have any meaning, except ** or bragging purposes, an experiment MUST have enough information to enable another experimenter to EXACTLY duplicate the experiment and see if their results match yours.

Stoney, your's is one of the few so-called experiments that meet that requirement. You have my respect, support, and prayers that you will accomplish your goal in a manner that would let me duplicate your result because I'm a medical grower trying to maximize yields without sacrificing quality to be able to help more patients. I'm nearly maxed out on the number of plants that I can grow in my confined area so my only hope is to increase my yield for both wattage and square footage.
Obviously kicking the yield/watt up to even 4gm/watt will greatly increase my production and regardless of your actual yield/watt, if you show that double deck grows are practical, that lets me double my output without having to enlarge my grow rooms.

Regardless of the actual yield that you get, I am sure you are going to enable serious growers to greatly increase their productivity without sacrificing quality! Great wishes and smoking to you!

How can we find the type of information that you used in choosing Glowpanel45 lights?

They are the ones by Sunshine Systems, aren't they? That was the only website that even looked like a manufacturer when I goggled them. I cannot find any information about color temperature of the light, the other technical information/specifications other than what you will find in any advertisement, on Sunshine Systems' website.

I'm positive that you had a hole lot more technical/scientific information than what I can find on the website.

Please share your information.

Starting this thread before you even started the experiment was sure great "marketing" move -- its just too bad that you're not charging your "fans" then you could afford to do a whole lot more experiments. Unless I miss my guess completely, you probably have enough different experiments in your head to last a lifetime if you just had funding for them all.

Yes you are gathering a pretty good crowd, including me, and stirring up widely divergent opinions and you haven't even started the experiment yet, although you probably have most of the construction done by now.

Good -- no- GREAT smoking and growing to you! I just had a couple of good hits and am not sure if I am making any sense or not. I'm leaving until I'm more lucid,

I found em on Ebay as well...no tech info except that NASA uses LEDs to grow plants in space :rolleyes:

DonJones said:
BUSHMASTER is NOT a nute, it is a growth hormone type of vertical growth inhibitor that nearly stops vertical growth at the height when it is applied.

Thanks, Don. The reason I don't intend to use the Bushmaster growth inhibitor is to keep the plants growing as naturally as possible in relation to what I've already done with them. I'm duplicating the growth parameters used for the "full size" grow, with the only changes being:

1. Using LED's for light

2. Using no vegetative day length.

3. Using the center cola only type of grow.

Other than those three methods, the grow will be exactly as done with a full height grow.

I may use the growth inhibitor *if* it turns out that it *has* to be used to make the plants stay within the plant height limitations of the LED's.

Great Idea but I'm a little confused about what the double decker grow has to do with the 9 gm/watt thing. Since you will be using the same amount of wattage on each level, how will doing the double decker thing prove anything except that double decking will work?

The double decker grow is to provide more grams per/square foot of area and is not involved with the 9g/watt part of the grow. Two experiments in one. I think I may be able to match my grams per/sq ft in the full height grow, with the shorter, but more dense height limited grow. If so, then having a second deck will double the amount of harvest weight, using the same amount of area. This would be a real boon to those who are "area critical" growers, but have a full 8 feet of height available.

There is no question in my mind about whether or not a double decker grow will work because the plants are NOT intelligent enough to know whether they are growing under a 2' ceiling or under a second bed 2' above them. IF you duplicate exactly the same conditions for each bed, you should get the same results out of both decks, or did I miss something basic to the experiment?

Nope. You didn't miss a thing. Growing on the second floor of an apartment building is no different than growing on the first floor. To a point, altitude has little to do with it. The Double deck is to maximize the grams per/sq ft.

I think your experiment would be more relevant if you kept repeating the same grow, regardless of whether it is a single deck or double deck until you maximize your yield per watt, rather than repeating the same grow the second time only in 2 decks. I know from personal experience that it will be very hard (for me impossible) to repeat the second grow exactly with the only variable being whether you used 1 or 2 decks, at least until you have the whole LED thing dialed in.

Over the years I've worked as a programmer using databases as the platform for my programming, I've learned a great deal about data tracking.

I have three things that this two part LED experiment will resolve:

1. I must keep supplying the medical users who depend on me for their meds. This experiment cannot interrupt my ability to provide them the amount of weed that they require each month.

2. I must find a way to reduce my overall costs and further my own protection while growing. The lessened electric costs and the elimination of any heat signature will accomplish both, if the experiment is successful.

3. With the limited light throw of the LED's, I have to keep the plants no taller than 18 inches *maximum*. While being a challenge, it will also enable me to utilize the double layer growth within the same footprint. The second part of the experiment will follow with a second level grow, *if* the first works as expected.

I can't afford to double my losses in LED light costs is the first part of the experiment doesn't work. After proving the first part, I'll buy four more lights and proceed with the second level experiment.

Like wise, switching to LEDs will NOT cure other problems like using the lights too far from the growing part of the plant...

Of all the LED grows I've seen now, this is the universal problem each have either ignored or just not used due to ignorance. The plant height is *the* most critical of the parameters of an LED grow. I have no idea why most of the experimenters have simply ignored it and failed as a result.

May I suggest an additional record keeping and analysis for the experiment? Please keep the data for the upper and lower beds separate so that not only will you be able to analyze the overall yield information but also whether it makes any difference whether the plants are in the upper or lower bed.

Thanks for the suggestion, Don. This is like candy to a baby to an old database guy like me. If a fly wanders into my grow area, I'll know his shoe length, width and color when he leaves.

Once again, I admire your under taking this experiment and your tolerance and patience with those of you that say it can't be done without even having tried and, for the few that have actually tried, haven't shared, if they kept it in the first place, enough data to enable us draw meaningful conclusions about why it did or didn't work. In order to have any meaning, except ** or bragging purposes, an experiment MUST have enough information to enable another experimenter to EXACTLY duplicate the experiment and see if their results match yours.

Thanks again, Don. I don't concern myself with naysayers. I've studied every LED grow I could find, tracked the variables of their grows and found many improvements that can be incorporated to ensure a more likely success. When I'm finished, the grow will be easily reproducible.

I'm nearly maxed out on the number of plants that I can grow in my confined area so my only hope is to increase my yield for both wattage and square footage. Obviously kicking the yield/watt up to even 4gm/watt will greatly increase my production and regardless of your actual yield/watt, if you show that double deck grows are practical, that lets me double my output without having to enlarge my grow rooms.

Now you've mentioned something that will be a problem for those who are limited to plant numbers. I have to use close, dense spacing to accomplish the harvest weights I need. This will require the use of a large number of plants. Each plant will be one cola, 18 inches tall, and packed as closely as possible to provide maximized area utilization. This would negate any plant count limits. Sorry.

Perhaps if the powers that be, get their collective heads out of their collective rears, they'll realize that *Harvest Weight*, not *Plant Numbers* is the factor that they should regulate. They simply don't have enough knowledge of the plant that they are creating laws about. If they did, they would know that one well grown plant can produce as much as 4 pounds of cured weed and 30 tiny plants might produce the same harvest weight. Plant count is an ignorant method of regulation.

How can we find the type of information that you used in choosing Glowpanel45 lights?

I chose the lights for their output and configuration. The 12 x 12 inch size and light spread were two of the most important factors in my choice. I looked at many grows that used this very same light before seeing that the most common factor of failure was plant height/light throw. The parts of the plants that were within the lights distance limits were productive enough to tell me I could use them.

They are the ones by Sunshine Systems, aren't they? That was the only website that even looked like a manufacturer when I goggled them. I cannot find any information about color temperature of the light, the other technical information/specifications other than what you will find in any advertisement, on Sunshine Systems' website.

They are made by Sunshine Systems and are:

Blue: 460-470 nm
Red: 645-655 nm

They have a 20-30 degree light cone.

Unless I miss my guess completely, you probably have enough different experiments in your head to last a lifetime if you just had funding for them all.

I sure do. I'm also working on several types of outdoor Hydroponic systems for growing vegetables. My largest project is a single contained system for 32 full size vegetable plants in a 72 x 72 inch area, with no rain intrusion/dilution of nutrients.

I'm also working on an in-house hydroponic herb garden that will be self-contained, mobile, and able to be stationed directly in a kitchen.

Yes you are gathering a pretty good crowd, including me, and stirring up widely divergent opinions and you haven't even started the experiment yet, although you probably have most of the construction done by now.

I'm waiting only for my host plants to produce enough cuttings to get the first experiment going....

stoney, did the LED industry make some leap in technology we dont know about?

Youve seen led grows, and the yields are paltry to say the least. Wispy buds much???

Im down to watch, but i must say, math is not on your side friend.

Hey Stoney wake up and give us a up date or at least let us know your still kicking.

:yeahthat:

Youve been teasing us for three months. I cant wait to see what these LEDs can do.

32 ouces out of 64 plants doesnt seem very good to me, just had 28 ounces out of 15 uk cheese plants and 2 big buddah cheese plants and that was the first grow under 1 600w lamp in coco medium

tester said:
just had 28 ounces out of 15 uk cheese plants and 2 big buddah cheese plants and that was the first grow under 1 600w lamp in coco medium

i'd like to see photographic proof of that claim....

tester said:
32 ouces out of 64 plants doesnt seem very good to me, just had 28 ounces out of 15 uk cheese plants and 2 big buddah cheese plants and that was the first grow under 1 600w lamp in coco medium

Is that wet or dry?

if it's wet, it's understandable.... if it's dry, i want proof :D

tester said:

ROTFLMAO whatever

Let's not turn Stoney's thread into a flaming on someone without Stoney here too?

i'm wondering if Stoney got tied up with holiday plans?

to be totally honest, i'm hoping that Stoney's knowledge of growing and this LED setup prove a lot of us wrong.... he's definately gathered my attention with this project....

yeah he has alot of our attention. With his knowledge and exp he is one that has a good chance of pulling it off.

I find myself wondering this:
MV lamps they say, are not much good for growing because they put out light of a limited spectrum (wrong wavelengths). These combo red/blue LEDs may be the wrong idea. It could be that the white (phosphor based) LEDs would work better.

Leafminer,

Before you make that jump, what spectrum does Mercury Vapor lights put out?

If my memory is right, and it has been awhile since I saw an MV in use for anything, they have virtually NO red in their spectrum.

If you check her on the forum, there is a chart of the spectrums used for plants to grow. There is a real high peak both in the Red and Blue spectrums. so I don't see the problem with using red/blue combination LEDs.

I know that Stoney is very well informed and clearly has done his research -- have you?

Good smoking man.

Latest posts

Back