9 grams per/watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ozzy! You're cracking me up man! Hahahahahhaa

Well, just an update to everyone on the research I've done on the LED panels I've purchased.

I've found a few other grows on other MJ groups where others have used the same LED's, but in not a way that is most productive with LED use. ALL of the people who have used these panels have praised them. Most had limited success. One person had wonderful results, but his harvest quantity was limited because of his application limitations.

The problem with all of these attempts was that they allowed the plants to get too tall. LED's don't have the "throw" (a term used in the lighting business for the *penetration*, or distance effective light will travel using a given application), that other more common lights such as HID's have.

LED's just won't support plant growth at a distance comparable to HID's. Therefore, a method has to be developed with which to keep the plants at their shortest possible height until harvest.

This is what I'm going to do. I've chosen a strain that is a short growing strain, (Pre/98 Bubba Kush), and has very large center cola growth. I'm going to trim off all other growth *except* the center cola, and pack those colas in as close as possible in my entire grow area. I also intend to use only sexually mature, rooted clones and to use nothing but 12/12 HO LED lighting from the moment of transplanting the fully rooted clones into the hydroponic tray.

This, hopefully, will maximize the cured weight per/area, and also avoid the pitfalls experienced by other growers using these lights in relation to plant height.

I'm hoping to keep these plants at 24" max height at harvest. If I'm successful at doing this, it should result in a grow-room full of massive, full grown colas that are literally touching each other and only 24" tall or so.

I'm hoping that this will result in an excellent harvest weight and be at least as much cured weight as I've grown in this same amount of area with much larger plants.

If so, then the combination of low growth and compact usage of the area should result in a method that will allow me a second level of plants on the grow following my initial experiment.

With two grow levels in the same area, each being of the same weight as previous full height grows, and using a month less time and only 1/10th of the wattage, it would be a step in making inside grows more monetarily available to more people.

I have all my fingers crossed and I'm hoping for everything I've forecast to come out well.

really? I mean really?

every time I see Stoney's name on a post I learn something...EVERY TIME...rad..you rock dude!!

anyway, enough of that, I am totally watching your grow and fully appreciate the fact that what you are doing will be beneficial to everyone reading this....no matter what happens... you don't manage to pull much, :( and we know not to waste our time,(b/c it's safe to say that if you can't pull it off neither can %99 of other growers) and saving thousands for us in hours and $...

or it does work out well,(yeeeeeehaaa:) in which case we all have a lot of new reading and researching to do to follow in your footsteps...

not blowing smoke, just think you need to know that what you're doing can't be valued enough....needless to say...GOOD LUCK and MOJOMOJOMOJO

forgot to mention that DirtyOlSouth showed me a killer LED contraption that he's working on..I won't say more because it aint my design to speak on, but you guys might be able to bounce some cool ideas off each other..IDK, just throwin it out there...peace

cmd420 said:
really? I mean really?

every time I see Stoney's name on a post I learn something...EVERY TIME...rad..you rock dude!!

anyway, enough of that, I am totally watching your grow and fully appreciate the fact that what you are doing will be beneficial to everyone reading this....no matter what happens... you don't manage to pull much, :( and we know not to waste our time,(b/c it's safe to say that if you can't pull it off neither can %99 of other growers) and saving thousands for us in hours and $...

or it does work out well,(yeeeeeehaaa:) in which case we all have a lot of new reading and researching to do to follow in your footsteps...

not blowing smoke, just think you need to know that what you're doing can't be valued enough....needless to say...GOOD LUCK and MOJOMOJOMOJO
Thanks, cmd420! I'm very, very excited about the upcoming grow.

I have two Host Plants growing right now that will supply the clones for the LED grow. I think I'll have to wait awhile for them to gain enough size to take 64 cuttings from them. So far, each of the two plants has about 6 or 8 branches, so the next topping will go to 16, the one following that one will be 32, then 64, then lastly, 128. After arriving at 128 branches, I'll prune each plant with consecutive 30% cuttings every week or so. This will keep them at the same size and provide me with a zillion clones.

Hi Stoney...

Wow... It sounds like things are starting to come together nicely with your plans. Have you ever checked out the product "Bushmaster" by Eel River Hydroponics? The same company that makes Purple Max/Snow Storm and Gravity.

www.eelriverhydroponics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ERH&Category_Code=ProductInfo

It's a vertical growth inhibitor made from some derivation of sea kelp. I've played around using Bushmaster as a foliar with a few strains and I was very impressed with the control it gave me. The plants I used it on were hybrids that leaned a little more sativa and after a week of foliar apps the plants would grow another 4-6" and slow down or halt any more upward growth and they really kick into flowering profusely. I've done some reading about guys using them with 'stadium' setups and very small clones with great results too... It seems a bit like voodoo but if it's made from kelp how bad can it be? I went with foliar apps because I compost and re-use my soil and didn't want any residual BM in the soil to hold back future grows...

Rock ON!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
Hi Stoney...

Wow... It sounds like things are starting to come together nicely with your plans. Have you ever checked out the product "Bushmaster" by Eel River Hydroponics? The same company that makes Purple Max/Snow Storm and Gravity...
I may check that out on future grows. My first grow will be using the same nutes as I use now; GH Flora Series 3 part. I know it very well and want to use that in my control grow.

no sense changing the play book in the middle of the game , persay...

i love my gh products. i do the 2 part fn. it's what i know...

so , i say stick to the plan, and go with what you know... you know?;) :D :cool: ...

:watchplant: ... just 9 more days to go ... ... the short countdown has begun! Hip, hip, hooray! :dancing:

Stoney I def agree that the single cola method is gona give best results under the LEDs... I will be doing a SOG next grow in my LED tent and im hopin to get 32 big buds out of there... GL i hope your plan works...

Thanks everyone! This crop is almost done. I'm within a few days of harvesting.

While it's drying for about a week, I'll start building my "bunk-bed" setup. It will have two levels, just like stacked bunk beds.

Each level will hold a 3' x 6' hydro tray. I'm going to plumb them together so that it will fill from the reservoir, to the top tray, then the top tray's overflow will fill the bottom tray and then drain back into the reservoir.

I have to do only the single level grow this time, but I'll just add the top level to it for the next crop. I don't want to wait for 128 cuttings.

StoneyBud said:
I'm going to plumb them together so that it will fill from the reservoir, to the top tray, then the top tray's overflow will fill the bottom tray and then drain back into the reservoir.

So you liked my idea! thats cool.
Are you going to do anything to hold the water in the top tray before letting it go to the bottom for the flood time?

Growdude said:
So you liked my idea! that's cool.
Are you going to do anything to hold the water in the top tray before letting it go to the bottom for the flood time?
Yes, your idea made sense! Why use two pumps and increase the potential of failures and cost?

The trays will have the normal ebb and flow fill level before spilling into the overflow to the bottom tray. When the pump shuts off, it will back drain through the pump via gravity.

I'll use my regular One On, Two Off cycle for my pump, 24/7.

StoneyBud said:
That's exactly why I'm doing this. My energy consumption has reached critical mass. My wallet is crying and sobbing every month when I get my electric bill.

This will work. It's a matter of lights, placement, growing technique and process.

I'll maximize each.

How well it works per/watt of LED is the only question left in my mind.

I'll throw all the data into a spreadsheet and track it every way it can be. Total overall costs with light life taken into consideration.

Dollar for Dollar, I'll see what happens.

Sell me one of your old hps lights =)

Whattup Stoney!

So the bunk bed grow is also the LED grow right? Excited for that one.!..

if you make it work, then I will need to start looking into LED's!!(as I'm sure a lot if us will)

BTW, do use the Lucas formula, or the regular 3 part?

cmd420 said:
Whattup Stoney!

So the bunk bed grow is also the LED grow right? Excited for that one.!..

if you make it work, then I will need to start looking into LED's!!(as I'm sure a lot if us will)

BTW, do use the Lucas formula, or the regular 3 part?
I use the 3 part formula that's on the bottle. Full strength per/gallon is 15ml, 10ml and 5ml the way I use it. The micro stays at 10ml and the other two switch at flowering.

Yeah, two crops from now, I'll have two layers of plants growing, IF, this experiment works with only one level.

So you're dedicating the next grow to the LED experiment...

Awesome!...Excited

it should result in a grow-room full of massive, full grown colas that are literally touching each other and only 24" tall or so.

But . . . the flowers don't do photosynthesis. The leaves do. Where are the leaves going to get light from?

leafminer said:
it should result in a grow-room full of massive, full grown colas that are literally touching each other and only 24" tall or so.

But . . . the flowers don't do photosynthesis. The leaves do. Where are the leaves going to get light from?
I've never seen a cola that wasn't surrounded by leaves...???

The center stem, with all of it's growth, will be my grow. No side branching.

how's this grow going stoney?

Latest posts

Back