9 grams per/watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matsakleen said:
I just have a couple of comments about LED fixtures. I have never used one for growing plants but I do have a lot of experience with LED's in marine aquarium applications. Talk about a maximum amount of lumens in the smallest amount of space! People in the reefing hobby (marine aquariums) are playing with different configurations all the time. Its affordable to make your own fixture as well if you know how to use a soldering iron and you have some hand eye coordination. The brilliant thing is that you can do your own configurations simulating moon lighting effects, sunrise, sunset, rotating patterns ect. There could be some very effective techniques for plant growing applications. Check out this link to another forum site that I belong too, tons of info and instructions on how to build your own LED array and performance data:

(I don't have enough posts to post a URL yet so google reef central DIY LEDs - the write up)

Its a lot to read, but its so cool. There are so many advantages to LED's really I don't see why we all don't use them. However, I know why I don't, I'm to lazy to make one on the cheap and I don't have the money to buy a prefab unit.
Stoney, you have some time on your hands waiting for that first grow, you should take a shot at it, you seem and sound capable.
Just my two cents.
Oh and good luck!
Back about 20 years, I was NASA certified on circuit boards...

I'm willing to bet that I could make my own LED panels.

I've seen the process. It's pretty easy. 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, etc...

I may give that a try when I get some free time. I'm slammed right now on my other projects.

As for the cloning, I'll continue using the "30% Rule".

Until the last "take" heals for 7 days:

1. Never take more than 30% of a branch.

2. Never take more than 30% of the tops.

With this in mind, I have at least one month, maybe 2 before I'll have my clones. I have to have 96 tops on each of the two bushes before I'll take the first clone. Then, I can take 32 of each bush without stressing it bad enough to turn hermie on me.

In about two weeks, I'll be up to 6 tops per/Host bush. I have a ways to go.

BBFan said:
Good luck with it Stoney- obviously you're putting a tremendous amount of pressure on yourself with this thread.

If you're successful, you will turn the growing world upside down! We'll have to throw out everything we know about lights.
I've "thought" this thing to death. I've turned it every which way but loose.

Now it's time for the doing...

I want first shares in the stocks. Come on let someone make a penny or two.

ozzydiodude said:
I want first shares in the stocks. Come on let someone make a penny or two.
Ok, it's Eleventy Two Ninety Five a share. Pay up!

Ok! Now we're talking!

The lights have just arrived.

After hooking one up, I'll say this: Damn that's bright!

The viewing angle of the LED's is 20 to 30 degrees.

The bulbs are 112 x 10mm High Brightness LED's.

It contains blue: 450 - 470 nm, and red 630 - 660 nm

The light uses 45 watts of power and when briefly looked at from about 20 inches, is as blinding as a 400 watt HPS bulb. That took me a bit by surprise. I've never seen an LED that was quite that bright.

I intend to use each panel to cover 5 square feet of grow area. My total area is 20 square feet, and I've purchased 4 panels to cover the area.

I'll measure the lux at 20 inches from the panel and see how it compares to the 400 HPS. According to the data provided, it should be more than half the lux at the same distance.

I'll post the results. I have to borrow a light meter first...

Damn, I'm still seeing "flash bulb" images.... I think I'll not look directly at it again without dark glasses.

So far, I'm pleased with the construction of the light and the obvious brightness level.

Great experiment. I tested LED lights head to head last year with equivalent HPS and had no where close to the production levels after a substantial investment - so I'm curious to see how it works. A good freind of mine in NY growing Diesel used them as well and has switched back to HPS since. The technology is on the way but IMO it's not there yet. As far as the grams per watt are concerned those numbers seem a little high for a goal to me but the scale is different with LED's - more effecient lumen output per watt. It's more about plant production and square footage, at least that's how I looked at it when I did my comparison. Obviously your goal is effecient production and I'm impressed with anyone thinking progressively. It's rare to find growers capable of pushing the limits and risking crops to help the rest of uss out. I wish you the best of luck and will be paying close attention. As I said earlier - I have some experience w/ LED's so I'd be happy to help out w/ info if you need some although you sound like you've got things under controll. Will you post pic's once things are underway? Again - awesome project Stoney

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
I hope that those panels are not from LEDwholesalers....
<snick>hehe, me too. I got em from Ed's used car's, toothbrushes and LED's. Ha! :D :eek: :)

Got a deal on one o them toothbrushes too! It still had paste init!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

StoneyBud said:
<snick>hehe, me too. I got em from Ed's used car's, toothbrushes and LED's. Ha! :D :eek: :)

Got a deal on one o them toothbrushes too! It still had paste init!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

lmao whats up stoney you wankin n bakin?

StoneyBud said:
Well, I just ordered the first four panels. $578 including shipping.

I read a lot of online reviews of the panel, and they were mixed. One guy said they were worthless and others said they were working great.

It looked like about 10 good for one bad review.

I don't want to have anyone else get ripped is they turn out to be turkeys. (No offence Turkey Neck)

Hopefully, my Host Plants will start growing faster. I have them in dirt under fluorescent light and their far behind the Hydro plants.

I need 64 cuttings off of these plants by Mid October. I hope I don't have to delay the crop until cuttings can be snipped.

I've just topped the 3 tops on each small plant. I also started with a 1/8th strength GH nute regimen today. That traditionally has increased plant growth in my dirt Hosts greatly.

Step by step it's getting closer.

None taken!:p This is extremely interesting.. and suspenseful:) Cant wait to see it all in motion. Thanks for sharing dude!

StoneyBud said:
Nope. Not until the first testing is complete.
Oh come on man....can at least give us some pics of the plants without the LEDs :hubba:

Mutt said:
Oh come on man....can at least give us some pics of the plants without the LEDs :hubba:
I'll be creating a Journal for the grow, Mutt. No problem.

I'll include photos of the plants and a full description of each stage of the process.

I'm not going to advertise this guys lights until I find out if they work or not. It's how I feel about it and there won't be any changes to that.

If they work, I'll sell them for the guy. I'll vouch for them. I'll openly say how great they are.

If they don't work, I'm going to make him give my money back and I'll post that they don't work after showing it in a day by day grow.

I hope everyone understands.

Wow! This is exciting!!!

I haven't started growing properly yet, but I had read a bunch about LED grow lights. I have read lots of bad stuff, but a bunch of positive stuff. As LED growing seems to be in it's preliminary stages, I have hope!!!

I wish you the best of luck stoney...

StoneyBud said:
I'll be creating a Journal for the grow, Mutt. No problem.

I'll include photos of the plants and a full description of each stage of the process.

I'm not going to advertise this guys lights until I find out if they work or not. It's how I feel about it and there won't be any changes to that.

If they work, I'll sell them for the guy. I'll vouch for them. I'll openly say how great they are.

If they don't work, I'm going to make him give my money back and I'll post that they don't work after showing it in a day by day grow.

I hope everyone understands./
Can't wait to see!!! Keep us updated Stoney :p

Hey Stoney I just bought a LED TV if I keep a picture of the sun on it at all times, will it grow plants? If so should it be a picture if the sun in morning or afternoon? :laugh:

Hope everything is going good for you.:48: :peace:

Latest posts

Back