9 grams per/watt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey you ol'whippersnapper how's the grow go? You turn 76 and sllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwww down.:p

ahh. teased me for the past 2 months. got me all excited to see this grow go down, and you revert back to lurker status. wth man?

rise up brother. i just 'turn the channel' when something goes down i don't like. we have a function called the 'ignore that mother button'.;) :p ...

please don't keep this underground stoney. ( unless your having second thoughts?)...Irish...

if theres a show elsewhere, pm me...

sounds like **......to me i dont believe in leds because very store would be pimpin them

I bought one small 18"x18" dual spectrum panel (2/3 red and 1/3 blue - 250 light) and put my miniature rose bush under it. In a months time all the leaves from the base up three inches had dropped off. I did have a small amount (roughly 1/2") of vegitative growth and all the preexisting buds did open but no new buds have appeared. Perhaps if the bush were surrounded on four sides with the panels this wouldn't have happened but that would have been a $200 additional investment - hardly justified on a $4 potted plant. I won't be gambling on the LEDs in the near future but sure wish the OP would update us on your grow status. I'm curious as well. thanks!OHC

here's a growers report about using LED's and claims his plants never fully finished maturing.... just another reason i'll stick with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" mentality....

hxxp://www.texashydroponics.com/shop/product.php?productid=3241&cat=421&page=1

Hello all. I haven't started the LED grow yet.

I'll be putting the cuttings into the rooting machine this evening. That takes 15 days.

Then, I'll do this:

1. I'm going to use the ebb and flow tub setup I have now, because I have to prove to myself that this can be done before I'm tearing out my entire setup and rebuilding it.

For this grow, I'm going to use 36 sq inches for each plant. That's 6 inches by 6 inches.

As they grow, I'll remove any and all side growth of branching. Only the center stem and it's leaves will be allowed to grow.

2. Each tub will have 5 plants in it. Set up in the same configuration as the dots on the #5 dice.

3. Each LED panel will be centered over one of the four tubs. Each light will be kept at 2 inches from the top of the plant canopy.

4. Any plant growing too fast to make an even canopy will be bent over using LST to lower it's top to the same height as all of the other 4 plants in the same tub. This will allow me to keep the plants even and allow the lights to be *exactly* at 2 inches from the tops of all the plants.

5. The lights will be put on a 10/14 light/dark schedule immediately upon their placement into the hydroponic tubs. This will negate any vegetative growth and throw them directly into flower.

This, I hope, will keep the plants at 18" or less at harvest time. This takes into practice, the LED's inability to throw any useful plant light more than 18 inches.

I've seen at least a dozen grows using LED's. Each one has used them outside of that 18" limit and discovered that they just don't work that way. Keeping every part of each plant available to the light and withing the maximum distance of 18" is absolutely mandatory for a normal production of a cola. Those colas of plants that stayed within that distance on any grow I've seen, had great bud production.

6. The Pre98 Bubba Kush that I'm going to use, is tolerant of very strong nutrients. I'm going to push the nutes onto the plants at whatever their tolerance is.

The first grow will be a massive learning grow. I have to learn what strength of nutes to use as the plants mature.

I'll update this thread as I step through the process.

It'll be 15 days from now when the pics of "Day 1" are posted.

(IRISH- I couldn't care less about the very few individuals who have shown what little class they have. They certainly don't influence any of my actions. If one of them posts in one of my threads, I'll simply ignore them.)

fleshstain said:
here's a growers report about using LED's and claims his plants never fully finished maturing.... just another reason i'll stick with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" mentality....

hxxp://www.texashydroponics.com/shop/product.php?productid=3241&cat=421&page=1

The brief and almost void of data, fax that that shows is not something you would want to use as an argument.

1. He shows no info on light height, strain or nutrients.

2. He starts with too small of lights and then upgrades while the grow is on.

3. He admits that he's not an experienced grower.

If you use that incomplete, brief information to dissuade you from using LED's then I don't believe that you have enough data to make a valid decision. If that's ok with you, that's great, but I need to actually use my 60 years of Marijuana growing experience, (containing 30 years of using Hydroponics to grow Marijuana), to prove to myself how well the LED's will perform.

I'll have a Grow Journal that shows every variable in the grow. It will be the first journal I've found on LED use with ALL the information needed and attention to growth parameters followed.

As the saying goes; "The proof is in the pudding". We'll all see in 80 days on my harvest date.

OldHippieChick said:
I bought one small 18"x18" dual spectrum panel (2/3 red and 1/3 blue - 250 light) and put my miniature rose bush under it. In a months time all the leaves from the base up three inches had dropped off. I did have a small amount (roughly 1/2") of vegetative growth and all the preexisting buds did open but no new buds have appeared. Perhaps if the bush were surrounded on four sides with the panels this wouldn't have happened but that would have been a $200 additional investment - hardly justified on a $4 potted plant. I won't be gambling on the LEDs in the near future but sure wish the OP would update us on your grow status. I'm curious as well. thanks!OHC

What height was your LED panel from the top of the rose bush?

How many watts of light did it use?

Do you have a link to the exact lights you used?

I put a hot pepper plant under one of mine and it flourished. I had the light 2 inches from the top of the plant and the entire plant was no taller than 12 inches. I kept bending it to keep it short and I snipped off anything that wouldn't fit under the light span. It grew flowers on it in massive amounts and the flowers held. They would have produced peppers had I kept that experiment going, but it proved what I needed so I tore it down to get ready for the real experiment.

btw...I'm Stoney, not Opie.....hehe (Now I can't get the Mayberry song outta my head.....)

StoneyBud said:
What height was your LED panel from the top of the rose bush?

How many watts of light did it use?

Do you have a link to the exact lights you used?

I put a hot pepper plant under one of mine and it flourished. I had the light 2 inches from the top of the plant and the entire plant was no taller than 12 inches. I kept bending it to keep it short and I snipped off anything that wouldn't fit under the light span. It grew flowers on it in massive amounts and the flowers held. They would have produced peppers had I kept that experiment going, but it proved what I needed so I tore it down to get ready for the real experiment.

btw...I'm Stoney, not Opie.....hehe (Now I can't get the Mayberry song outta my head.....)

OK I see I lied - it's 12"x12" and 225 lights and roughly 13 watts

They were suspended roughtly three inches above the plant.
hxxp://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=263

OK Stoney, but can I call you OPie when the others aren't around?

003.JPG

i must be old, cause i keep seeing this OP? care to enlighten me?...

i knew you would not give in ol chap. K+. as you know, i'm fairly new to the indoor game, so my mind is pretty clear , and uncluttered as to what is being said about LED test grows. ( as in, i've not seen one completed as to this date)...

i've seen a few talk it up, jump out the box running with it, then BAM, nothing. they disappear as fast as they appeared. test incomplete. please don't take me on that ride Stoney, as i've waited patiently for this test me friend...;) ...

i need to know what these lights of yours are equivilent to in watts? i'll go re-read over to see if i missed it. i just woke up, so no need for me to try to do figures this early.:rolleyes: ...

you notice tbg and tcvg have come back over? these are some of the guys' i look to for solid advice, and the occasional wink, wink, nod, nod of approval on a given grow. look forward to thier comments here.:) :cool: ...

although Van can be colorful sometimes, he don't mince words. i've followed many, many of his grows, even when the naysayers said 'it can't be done', well this brother will show you that it can be done, and he'll do it several ways to prove a point. he walks the walk. top notch skills, both these bros'. look forward to thier comments on this grow...

so, when do we begin?:D ...Irish...

hey Stoney.... that's just an article that's on my local shop's website.... as you said, he did fail to mention A LOT of variables....

never the less my friend, i wish you the best of luck in your trial!

i'll definately be staying tuned in to this one....

OldHippieChick said:

I dunno OHC... Very Studio 54 grow pics... did you play any BeeGees for the plants? :p

Its pics like the one in Oldhippiechicks post that make me not use leds. Im sorry but that is one sad looking plant. What is that thing?

I can't wait to see some "puddin" Stoney. I just wish you'd tell us what 'brand' of pudding it will be :p ..and shart on the 'nay-sayers'..

:ciao: TurkeyNeck, Stoney...

(it's a rose bush mh)...

few questions Stoney. first, how many clones you looking at right now. and two, have you grew a BK with just a main cola, and, if so, how tall was it???...

i've got five bk's in soil at 1 week today 12/12. straight grow for some smoke. will take clones in week2, and 3 12/12...

do you have a timeline on the grow-n-show?:D ...

Don't mean to rain or piss on your parade but I bought a 1200 usdollar led used in the horticulture industry and it is not a perfected technology, far far from it, yes it supplies useable light, indeed light that the mighty plant loves, but not enough!!!!!! Now 600hps, that is about the best light on the market, 90,000 lumens, mostly hard bud pounding light! Give it a try anyways, I couldn't sleep until I bought one, and then I couldnt sleep until I moved into my kitchen to grow my butter letuce!

OldHippieChick said:

They were suspended roughly three inches above the plant.
hxxp://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=263

OK Stoney, but can I call you OPie when the others aren't around?
I think the 13 watt panels are a little weak for that application, OHC. Everyone I've read of that used that size had the same results you did.

You can call me anything but late for supper...

IRISH said:
...my mind is pretty clear , and uncluttered as to what is being said about LED test grows. ( as in, i've not seen one completed as to this date)...

i've seen a few talk it up, jump out the box running with it, then BAM, nothing. they disappear as fast as they appeared. test incomplete. please don't take me on that ride Stoney, as i've waited patiently for this test me friend... ...

i need to know what these lights of yours are equivalent to in watts? i'll go re-read over to see if i missed it. i just woke up, so no need for me to try to do figures this early. ...

so, when do we begin? ...Irish...

The panels I've purchased are "GlowPanel 45" which are 28 watts each. They are supposed to put out the equivalent of a 250 watt HID. They are *remarkably* bright. I'll see on my test what they are capable of doing.

I'll have a journal for the entire grow. Pics included. I'll explain exactly what I've done, as I do it.

I was going to take cuttings from my host plants yesterday, but I've decided to wait until the hosts are a little larger first. I need 32 clones, and the hosts have only about 50 total. I don't take cuttings that add up to more than 30% of the total available tops. I believe it stresses the hosts too much.

I think a week or two maybe....I'll have to see when the hosts are able to provide enough cuttings. I'm taking 35 to ensure 32 survivors, so I'll need 112 available tops to take my 30% or 35 cuttings from them. I wish I had more host plants right now, but I don't.

fleshstain said:
hey Stoney.... that's just an article that's on my local shop's website.... as you said, he did fail to mention A LOT of variables....

never the less my friend, i wish you the best of luck in your trial!

i'll definately be staying tuned in to this one....

Thanks man. Yeah, all of the grows I've researched have very spotty data. Some say nothing more than "I tried and failed".

I want to get this thing moving...

IRISH said:
few questions Stoney. first, how many clones you looking at right now. and two, have you grew a BK with just a main cola, and, if so, how tall was it???...

i've got five bk's in soil at 1 week today 12/12. straight grow for some smoke. will take clones in week2, and 3 12/12...

do you have a timeline on the grow-n-show? ...

I have two host plants, Irish. Between the two, they have about 50 tops now. I need 32 without taking more than 30% of the available tops.

I'm hoping to start in about two weeks.

TURKEYNECK said:
I can't wait to see some "puddin" Stoney. I just wish you'd tell us what 'brand' of pudding it will be ..and shart on the 'nay-sayers'..

I posted in this reply, the types of LED panels I've purchased. I'm doing this test for my own knowledge. I think I can make it work. We'll see.

Five said:
Don't mean to rain or piss on your parade but I bought a 1200 usdollar led used in the horticulture industry and it is not a perfected technology, far far from it, yes it supplies useable light, indeed light that the mighty plant loves, but not enough!!!!!! Now 600hps, that is about the best light on the market, 90,000 lumens, mostly hard bud pounding light!

Hey, everyone has their own opinion. The differences between LED's made even just a year ago and what is in the lights I just bought are many. I've grown using HID's for 30 years. I'm tired of paying those electric bills. If I can make LED's work, it will really help with both stealth and money.

Latest posts

Back