Auto's Done Carty's Way

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leaf Stripping 101.

What your going to see here is a person who grows with 3yrs+ experience who refuses to listen to a grower with 20yrs+. Defoliation is a good thing done correctly and at the right time... like a few weeks ago when I suggested it to him... #2. cleaning up the bottom of your plants for air flow and, so your plants energy is concentrated on upper bud production.. and especially true of indoor growing with buds closer to the light becoming the biggest, fattest of them all...

Bagseed of neighbors
IMG_20240413_144427.jpg

What Carty would do
IMG_20240413_144427.jpg

and
IMG_20240413_144427.jpg

Results, these branches will look like these upper branches for about 4ft.... solid buddage.
IMG_20240413_144920.jpg

See if this makes sense to you....

Plants such as these take in the majority of needed nutrients via the roots and it's taken up the stem and distributed as the plant feels is needed.

So, water & nutrients on the way up your stems hollow core stops off at each and every single bit of growth..
given the amount of lower useless growth on the plants above, the upper part of his plants are showing bad signs of deficiency at a point in the game when something such as that will affect your end production big time.. his comment. Oh well. grrrrrrr. smack. hahaha. ok, I'm much better now. lol.

When I seen this on a youtube video where the guy explained it like this, it just clicked into place for me and made sense... yes, every bit of larf left on the plant robs them big upper buds of getting even larger.. for some reason trimming lower branches went against my nature and took me a bit to understand and do... like throwing out trimmings the size of useful clones and not cloning them.... it's ok to do... hahaha

I have one pink mango x GDP its s photo? I should put her outside with the other girls
She's the big girl in the first 2 photos with the tomato trainer around her... she was topped to so imagine if not... her head buds have turned into a weird cluster and he keeps saying... I thought GDP grew tighter buds.. what part of Pink Mango x don't you get. this is not a good representation of GDP at all bro.. hehe.

Starting Oaxacan over there next, gonna grow one my style.... hehe. maybe he'll come around.

Last edited:
I have one pink mango x GDP its s photo? I should put her outside with the other girls
Ok let me know when your’s is done how long it took. I will up pot her and move her outside tomorrow. I wondered why it took forever to start flowering.

Carty's Auto news.....

Beast Mode F2 seeds are going to be made here soon. I have a new team member of Carty's Collective Crosses who lives in a legal state... project #1 is make the next generation of Beast Mode Autos..... after that.

Preserving my Miss Piggy F2 seeds int F3 stock and making her available for the first time since her big breeding mishap in 2015. being breed in the humboldt mtns Miss Piggy took up half of a beautiful half acre outdoor grow next to my Gabagoo....
Miss Piggy : Man Bear Alien Pig fem'd seeds from Mephisto Genetics Illuminauto Collection. x Gabagoo F2 Agoo phenotype. Outdoors in Humboldt she was 11-13ft. sending my new breeder my last 10 seeds of her.
so, here we are attempting to preserve this beauty...

See if this makes sense to you....

Plants such as these take in the majority of needed nutrients via the roots and it's taken up the stem and distributed as the plant feels is needed.

So, water & nutrients on the way up your stems hollow core stops off at each and every single bit of growth..
given the amount of lower useless growth on the plants above, the upper part of his plants are showing bad signs of deficiency at a point in the game when something such as that will affect your end production big time.. his comment. Oh well. grrrrrrr. smack. hahaha. ok, I'm much better now. lol.

When I seen this on a youtube video where the guy explained it like this, it just clicked into place for me and made sense... yes, every bit of larf left on the plant robs them big upper buds of getting even larger.. for some reason trimming lower branches went against my nature and took me a bit to understand and do... like throwing out trimmings the size of useful clones and not cloning them.... it's ok to do... hahaha
I had such a hard time throwing away cuttings at first, now I throw away cuttings bigger than some of my plants and never give it a 2nd thought.
It ain’t like you can’t take more, lol.

Like a Rastafarian grower once said.
I'm growing buds to smoke,,,not leaves.
This guy would remove almost all his leaves about 2 or 3 weeks before harvest.
He had huge colas. He said the small sugar leaves and buds took in all the light they needed to get huge and ready for harvest.

Carty's Auto news.....

Beast Mode F2 seeds are going to be made here soon. I have a new team member of Carty's Collective Crosses who lives in a legal state... project #1 is make the next generation of Beast Mode Autos..... after that.

Preserving my Miss Piggy F2 seeds int F3 stock and making her available for the first time since her big breeding mishap in 2015. being breed in the humboldt mtns Miss Piggy took up half of a beautiful half acre outdoor grow next to my Gabagoo....
Miss Piggy : Man Bear Alien Pig fem'd seeds from Mephisto Genetics Illuminauto Collection. x Gabagoo F2 Agoo phenotype. Outdoors in Humboldt she was 11-13ft. sending my new breeder my last 10 seeds of her.
so, here we are attempting to preserve this beauty...
ManbearPig Some good stuff
I tested it for them way back when it had alien in it. LOL
1713360982400.png

Last edited:
Im a picker. I do that, but I think I am going to try that with the new little babies I got growing.
I want the round 2 summer plants to get friggin huge. I will start toping them in a week or so. I have one auto that is actually a photo. I am going to put her outside. I can’t wait to see what she does. I got some FF happy frog, a few bags of compost, a few bags of composted manure and some other bags of soil that were 2 cft for like 8 bucks. If I don't like the looks of it I will mix my old soil with the new stuff and reuse soil. Jacks will have my back.

Off to paint for a bit....
ManbearPig Some good stuff
I tested it for them way back when it had alien in it. LOL
View attachment 355256
Sweet, and this is: Man Bear Alien Pig x Gabagoo Agoo pheno.. so same strain you tested and she can get freaken huge...
super MBAP.png

Last edited:
I had such a hard time throwing away cuttings at first, now I throw away cuttings bigger than some of my plants and never give it a 2nd thought.
It ain’t like you can’t take more, lol.
Hey Flower.... how's things bro. Good luck on your camping trip bro... good time of year for it.

Always trying to learn about this wonderful plant I love to test things... we all know cloning Autos is a waste of time because they do NOT revert back to veg but instead if they root, continue to grow from the stage they were cut... well, I want to know for sure if this is true... I tend to agree fully, but, nothing like seeing it first hand right... so let's do this together.
Cuttings of Muchacho F7.jpg

Lower branches removed off of the larger Muchacho F7 in preflower... these were cut yesterday and sat all night in a shot glass of water. not a one wilted.

This is how I used to test keeper photo periods... the cuttings MUST not wilt when removed off a female plant and placed into their cloning home. over half of most strains will wilt within hours if not placed into a humidity dome. BUT, prolific growers with vigor will stand on their own..

My clone method: Remove cutting off plant at plants stem and into water....

A 2nd cut is made later directly thru a node area where leaf's grow out of, cut at a 45* angle, rotate 180 degrees and shave the opposite side. Dip into your source, this time I used honey.. has healing qualities, but my go to if I was cloning seriously... Dip n Grow baby... stuff can root a telephone pole.

Water in once thoroughly.. after that, few eye droppers as needed and trust me, not often.... if they wilt over I'll just toss them, remember, this is about learning what this particular strain is capable of..

Imagine using this method to learn which photo period roots clones without the need of a humidity dome, how easy taking a bunch of cuttings to root would be... K2 is one I could just take a cutting off a female and just push it into a pot of soil walla.. rooted and growing in 10 days..

Last edited:
Hey Flower.... how's things bro. Good luck on your camping trip bro... good time of year for it.

Always trying to learn about this wonderful plant I love to test things... we all know cloning Autos is a waste of time because they do NOT revert back to veg but instead if they root, continue to grow from the stage they were cut... well, I want to know for sure if this is true... I tend to agree fully, but, nothing like seeing it first hand right... so let's do this together.
View attachment 355285

Lower branches removed off of the larger Muchacho F7 in preflower... these were cut yesterday and sat all night in a shot glass of water. not a one wilted.

This is how I used to test keeper photo periods... the cuttings MUST not wilt when removed off a female plant and placed into their cloning home. over half of most strains will wilt within hours if not placed into a humidity dome. BUT, prolific growers with vigor will stand on their own..

My clone method: Remove cutting off plant at plants stem and into water....

A 2nd cut is made later directly thru a node area where leaf's grow out of, cut at a 45* angle, rotate 180 degrees and shave the opposite side. Dip into your source, this time I used honey.. has healing qualities, but my go to if I was cloning seriously... Dip n Grow baby... stuff can root a telephone pole.

Water in once thoroughly.. after that, few eye droppers as needed and trust me, not often.... if they wilt over I'll just toss them, remember, this is about learning what this particular strain is capable of..

Imagine using this method to learn which photo period roots clones without the need of a humidity dome, how easy taking a bunch of cuttings to root would be... K2 is one I could just take a cutting off a female and just push it into a pot of soil walla.. rooted and growing in 10 days..
I am trying to clone a King Kandy. a branch broke off the other day with the strong winds. If these buds are this heavy at 3 weeks of flower. In another 9 weeks what is she gonna be. One I want to keep. She smells heavenly too. Right now I smell citrus and pine but shes just in beginning stages. The branches are loaded. Nothing has wilted at all.

I am trying to clone a King Kandy. a branch broke off the other day with the strong winds. If these buds are this heavy at 3 weeks of flower. In another 9 weeks what is she gonna be. One I want to keep. She smells heavenly too. Right now I smell citrus and pine but shes just in beginning stages. The branches are loaded. Nothing has wilted at all.
I used to rotate my AK47 from Serious Seeds each run by rooting branches I've trimmed off her lower... after a year of this I did notice that the branches began to thin out.... vs keeping a mom.
I highly recommend adding "Silica" to all of you growing indoors....

day 3 and these 4 clones look great... I'm so curious as to see what happens after they root....

I used to rotate my AK47 from Serious Seeds each run by rooting branches I've trimmed off her lower... after a year of this I did notice that the branches began to thin out.... vs keeping a mom.
I highly recommend adding "Silica" to all of you growing indoors....

day 3 and these 4 clones look great... I'm so curious as to see what happens after they root....
For the clone or for the plants growing? Or for both. I had some really nice branches from my pink mango x gdp. I have 4 I took. They look good. I am hoping to figure this thing out soon. My Maui's are just hanging out.

LST... it's actually nice only having a few plants in the bigger tent atm.
For the clone or for the plants growing? Or for both. I had some really nice branches from my pink mango x gdp. I have 4 I took. They look good. I am hoping to figure this thing out soon. My Maui's are just hanging out.
Both, but especially cuttings. It does all kinds of things. But first and foremost, strengthens the inner cell walls which assists in pest control. I start mine at 1/4 tsp/gal, next week 1/2 then full weekly until halfway thru flower..

I'm loving having just a few plants this run so I can spread them branches out and the plants are really responding... the bigger plant has been Supercropped.. (Pinched and rolled). about mid branch on each growth, go about halfway down the stem and slowly pinch it.. feel for the squishy part, you'll actually feel it pop under your finger pressure.. now pinch her and kind of roll your fingers back and forth a bit so your sure to damage them inner cell walls.... you can even choose to bend some small branches to expose inner areas if so need be.. this is all about the plant concentrating it's energy where we want it to, above the pinch.

Muchacho F7 few days after supercropping... this is how Soma explains it in his book on organic growing.

IMG_20240418_112858.jpg

Below was supercropped, the above plant will be done tomorrow on 420..
IMG_20240418_112907.jpg

Maestro..... seed to weed in 80 Days.

A very green strain, the inner leaf and buddage is just loaded with trichomes and smells of sweet grapey goodness with hints of citrus and other berries. weight of the buds feels decent but nowhere near a nice kush.
One thing I'm terrible about is not taking them final shots before cutting a plant down... doh..

So, here are a few after.
IMG_20240422_203314.jpg

Some branches already trimmed up and into the colander for drying.. I usually hang my plant cut into 3rds and just removing the larger fan leaf.... but since running both tents I gotta change it up..
be trimming the other branches later tonight, had to stop to log on here people... hehe.
great scissor hash too.. omg.
IMG_20240422_203124.jpg
IMG_20240422_203136.jpg
IMG_20240422_203036.jpg

I just realized summin.... it's time to update the little plants and top off their soil a bit... gonna be a late night. and I'll be back to update it all ok... so give me a min and be back to yack...
peace..

Latest posts

Back