Cloning newbie- two from each plant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastyness

Reaction score
So I need to make some clones so I can flip the plants I've got going.
Since I'm still new and my conditions are not ideal (temps in mid 60's instead of high 70's) I'm not sure what my survival rate will be. I wasn't planning on using a dome- but could put something together if needed. That's why I did the test run with the ozzy solo cup method from the sticky.

How many clones should I take from each plant?
I've got several known females and 3 unknowns.

If I took 2 from each plant that would be 18 cuttings total (plus the 2 I've already got from my practice run)

One issue is suddenly I've got more plants than I'm really comfortable having on hand. Right now I have 8 confirmed girls + 20 new clones... no wonder that dude was over his limit, it happens quickly.
I realize many of them may not last more than a month after curing, if it isn't worth really growing again, but in the meantime it sure feels like I'm close to my personal comfort limit.
It would be fun to grow out a bunch of clones both for the quicker turnaround and the known outcome.

Either way I've got two days to figure out what I want to do- the great advice I got on my GJ means I'm going to need a few days to get things settled before the flip.
Patience grasshopper.

tastyness said:
One issue is suddenly I've got more plants than I'm really comfortable having on hand.

LOL that's not an uncommon problem . . .

I would take two from each female and two from each unknown also. Since it's your first time, this will give you better odds that you have one good survivor from each donor. If any of the undetermined ones turn out to be males, you can just ditch the clones you took from em . . . and if you end up with more female plants than you feel comfortable with, you can always cull the weakest ones and let the strong survive for your second harvest . . .

I hope you can get a handle on the temperature swings . . . clones need a nice steady environment right about 80f in order to root well, and even your mamas don't really enjoy being in the mid 60's all that much . . . mojo for the clones !!

jm2c :48:

Thanks guys-
Temps are not only a problem for the plants.
I've been freezing my butt of for most of this winter.
Single pane windows, no insulation and cold temps do not make for happy insiders.
The good news is I have no need for AC! I had to germinate on top of a little mini oil heater.
Mama's are warmer since they are living in the tent- clones are living in a little closet area. Going to add a light (600W) there so that should bring the temps up. The clones will be getting partial flourescent light while the bigger light is keeping the plants I just took the clones from happy while they heal for a week.
Thanks for the help- as always

Latest posts

Back