Cold outside air through a cooltube?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolRide

Reaction score
Hello all!

I was wondering if someone here could help me out a bit.

I have a new small basement grow (its new and Im new) and I am using 3 4ft t-8's hanging over 11 3 gallon pots and seems to be working wonderfully.

My question, I want to buy a 1000 watt hps for flower and wanted to pipe fresh outside air in, through the cooltube (or a light like a cooltube) and into my basement to help heat it. But I am afraid that cold winter air, which could be sub zero, blowing over my light may cause serious problems?

Now this is not my only heat, I just thought a cooltube style light would make sense if I am going to buy a light anyway and help keep it cool in the summer.
I dont know.

My basment, without any heat right now stays between 55 and 60 and would all winter without added heat. I just added a small oil/electric radiator on low which is keeping a steady 73 deg execpt when I turn on a box fan for an hour a day (just to move the plants) then it drops to 68.
As I said, plants are doing great.

Summer shouldnt be a problem down there but I knew winter would be a challenge.
I live near the Canadian border.

I believe from what I have read that these lights are desinged to have fresh air blown or drawn over or through them, but just dont know about cold outside air.

If I could plumb fresh outside air through the light, I would vent in into the basement in winter to help heat, and vent it outside in summer to help keep it cool.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sammy

In the winter you might want to not use a cool tube...I hve been thinking of not cooling my light because with it cooled the temps in my tent are on the cold side...was thinking of unhooking the fan and letting the light provide the heat for the tent...if you are having trouble keeping your grow area warm then a cool tube wld only make that problem worse...I wld get the cool tube because it is great in the summer and hook it up without the venting and see how your temps are...then if they are too warm you cld always hook up an inline fan to the cool tube and cool it....

I'd be concerned about condensation within the tubing/light pipe. Basically, w really cold air meets really hot air... you got yourself a weather storm w any moisture that is present in the air... it will condense, which may be an issue if the bulb gets wet while fully fired up. Peace.

If your basement stays between 55 and 60, this air is probably cool enough to keep a 1000W cool.

:yeahthat:

Hey CoolRide-

I would think that pulling the ambient air from the basement that is 55 - 60 degrees would be more than sufficient to keep temps- and the exhaust would warm the air in the basement- not sure by how much though (I'd guess not much).

I grow in a basement also- summer can be problematic with heat and rh issues, but fall and winter have never been a problem.

Good luck- and by the way-

Welcome to MP! :cool:

Thank you all for the quick responses!

Sounds like the smart thing to do is (in the winter at least) just use the air from in the house through the tube. Then pump it outside in the summer.

I gotta get back to work.

Anyway thanks again, I'm sure there will be a few more questions before I am done.

IS it ever "done"? lol

Sammy

CoolRide said:
IS it ever "done"? lol

Sammy

LOL--no, it is never done. I am taking my flowering room down soon to change the lighting and ventilation...

I'm planning a death star like contraption for an update to the grow room.

smokingjoe said:
I'm planning a death star like contraption for an update to the grow room.

Will you be posting that in the DIY section? :rofl:

Latest posts

Back