First Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mr_chow said:
Plants absorb nutrients and water through their roots, but photosynthesis — the process by which plants create their fuel — occurs in the leaves. Therefore, plants need to get fluids and nutrients from the ground up through their stems to their parts that are above ground level. ... hZZp://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-plants-get-water-and-nutrients.html

i try to keep my seedlings and small veg between 50-70RH if i can...helps w/ transpiration :hubba: (the act of getting fluids and nutes from the ground to the leaves)

...the more you let the small leaves "dry out" the harder it is for the plants to send essentials to them, which in turn leads to slower growth during this phase.

peace,

mr_chow

Not only do i not use a dome for seedlings, i point a fan at them.

dman1234 said:
Not only do i not use a dome for seedlings, i point a fan at them.

why are you all such "doubting nancies"???

...i've been doing this longer than most of you know.

when in doubt, ask the experts: (ed rosenthal; i bet you'd trust his word, eh?)

optimal temperature:

>>between 70-85 degrees

optimal humidity:

>>60-70% for vegatative growth

>>40-60% during flowering
(lower rH helps to reduce the risk of fungal contamination).

>>80-90% for rooting clones and cuttings
(high humidity is a must as these new plants may not have roots to draw moisture through).

i never try to blow smoke up anyone's posterior when i post. you can either listen and learn from me, or ignore me...either way, i'll keep posting "the truth".

peace,

mr_chow

Dont take it so personally,

The Truth as you put it is seedlings dont need domes.

ofcourse you have been doing this longer as you say so i must be wrong, i think you might have PH issues in some of the pics you posted, but what do i know.

Why wld I want to try an unneeded step? Oh and Ed is not the be all end all on MJ info.

i digress...

dman1234 said:
ofcourse you have been doing this longer as you say so i must be wrong, i think you might have PH issues in some of the pics you posted, but what do i know.

...and i didn't say i have been "doing this longer" than you, just longer than what you all think or seem to give me credit for. ...why would i want to post something for hemperfi to make things harder on him? that's not what i'm about nor what i think this site is about. i believe this site is all about learning to be the best gardener that you can be. right?

...don't believe me or don't believe ed, but you can't turn your eyes/ears/brain to science. just look it up.

dman1234, as for me and my grow, if you've read it, along with looking at the pics, you would've seen i already understand what my problem is and have documented it so that i do not replicate. a ph-issue would affect all the plants being watered, not just the one. ...so no need to throw stones; that's not helpful to me nor hemperfi. ...come to my journal and tell me why you think it is.

‘The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.’

A fan blowing GENTLY to the seedlings is a most to grow strong stems.

@HEMPERFI - The wheel is already invented and it is round not square. Keep it simple and follow some basic rules to have a nice grow. Lot's of ppl have spent years and years making this things. Follow them first and after you have some nice smoke choose the size of your wheel. But round cause the square is hard to move ;).

the subjective wheel can be any shape you choose, it seems...:rolleyes:

...support your hypothesis/claims w/ science is all. (as i have done)

AND as i mentioned before, i'm just here to help. hemperfi seems wise enough to not trust ANY OF US and to do his own research/scientific-method.

to have your vegetative growth at ~60%rh is ideal throughout that stage, period; look it up.

...i never said you had to grow the whole time under the dome. ...come to think about it, hemperfi never asked me to elaborate on anything about it. so i didn't...but since i seem to have to support/elaborate everything i suggest, contrary to others...here i go:

...for me, i usually use the dome for the first week or two (i like to see the third node). i "burp" the dome 2-3 times a day for 5-10 minutes to let the air refresh and not get stagnant. after the first week or two, when i see growth is vigorous, i remove the dome and allow for ambient rh to take over (with fan blowing).

...do you need to do this? NO
...am I recommending this? YES
...do you care and/or do this practice? <<THAT'S UP TO YOU; BUT TO ARGUE SCIENCE AS PRESENTED IS THE DEFINITION OF INSANITY

you all make me smile and glad that i'm here to share my knowledge...we can all be better growers if we all allow ourselves to be, including me.

peace,

mr_chow

Well, okay then -- no domes -- round wheels roll better -- damn, I am learning so much today. I think I like the put em under a fan idea best. It's 77 degrees in there -- humidity seems fine to me. I mist them a couple of times a day, and I PRAY. I'm having a lot of fun with this little project. Last night I got a real good buzz going and then blacked out the whole stern of my boat. There is no more "glow" coming from this slip. Ed specifically mentioned "cuttings and clones" for the high humidity -- not seedlings. I think I'll go with the fan and a bit of misting Mr. Chow, but your advice is always welcome. I like the way you grate against the grain of things.

Thank you all for your comments -- I'll WEED through them and do what sounds right.

Where is my coffee?

HemperFi said:
Where is my coffee?

...where's my beer. :eek:

I like the way you grate against the grain of things.

...complacency is equal to failure. if you're not always trying to improve, then you might as well pack up shop, imo. some people just have their set ways, to change 'em is like turning the titanic.

peace,

mr_chow

Well, "I" .. like a little air movement(fan) as well, just moving the seedling just a tad to build stem strength. It seems to help in preventing damping off and weak, extensive stretching stalks.

Hick said:
Well, "I" .. like a little air movement(fan) as well, just moving the seedling just a tad to build stem strength. It seems to help in preventing damping off and weak, extensive stretching stalks.

Let's do an mp experiment? ...I've got a fall grow starting soon.

...I smell a new thread. ...:lama:

peace,

mr_chow

I'm with you Hick. Everything you say makes perfect sense to me, my man.

Thank you for taking an interest in an old fool havin a ball doing something he loves.

I will get dialed in here soon. I believe if I get the basic requirements (soil, light, nutes, temp and air circulation) down I will be like the Hampster and relegated to being a plant watcher, and they will grow their little hearts out for me.

I am a minor God. I have created my own little world and have brought forth life. I am in control here and I feel the power. It feels good, and I will take care of my little world as best I can.

But it's all about the nugs, and I am determined to grow some of the dankiest to ever come off a boat. :)

Bubba Cush, my chihuahua, is jealous of my plants. I know he is planning a pee raid soon. I have my eye on him.

What is the PH of pee?

I'll post a pic of Bubba soon -- if I can remember how I did that yesterday. I'm gonna let the seedlings grow out a week or so and then take more pictures. They look good today -- growing.

Peace

HemperFi said:
What is the PH of pee?

:D Isn't that one of the old wives tales? Something about peeing on your plants for nitrogen? I know they say peeing around your plants is suppose to chase off deer....lol, that one is so NOT true!

A little coffee ground tea, some pee --hey we goin ORGANIC

DO NOT PEE ON YOUR PLANTS!:eek:

Do not give them any nutrients yet. Do not give them coffee grounds yet.

The Hemp Goddess said:
DO NOT PEE ON YOUR PLANTS!:eek:

Do not give them any nutrients yet. Do not give them coffee grounds yet.

lol...i agree.

OKAY -- no pee and no coffee for the plants -- they look good this morning -- getting their third set of leaves (except the one alien)

Don't worry, I never even considered peeing on my plants -- It's my Chihuahua, Bubba, who is planning a pee attack -- I have an eye on him though, and I won't let him pee there either. Crack me up.

Now I am going to go and buy some soil. I believe the first soil I mixed was not very good. This time I will get the best they have and try hard not to make it too hot for the plants. I am thinking 50% foxfire ocean forrest and perlight w/ some micro nutes like bone meal and bat guanno. I'm thinking, if I get the basics right -- light, soil, temp, RH, PH and plant food -- things will go a lot better for me. You OLD growers have experimented already -- I will listen -- and learn. thanks.

Latest posts

Back