First time grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munkers

Reaction score
This is my very first PLANNED grow, not let me throw seeds in the dirt and see if they grow. Ive done quite a bit of research and still am to this very day. I havent actually started but I do have a 90 watt tri band ufo LED light as well as I orded good feminized seeds, two bags of Roots organic soil which I heard works very well with first time grows with almost to none nutrients whatsoever and just need some water, and I ordered a small containter of oregonisms XL Endo/ecto mycorrhizae. I plan on buying a bottle of both budda bloom and grow but Im working with a limited budget. I am growing indoors and have ample amount of space. Just kind of curious on what others think of this for a starting point for 2 five gallon buckets and maybe some sugestions on what else I can do to improve. Remember this is my first actually thought out and studied, planned grow and im very excited to get ahold of my final product when all is said and done. I hope I got enough here to make it through from start to finish im very confident I will!:icon_smile:

IMO LED lights are worthless, you wont have nearly enough light to give good flowering growth to your plants, I would go with a HPS light... I would go with T5 lights for vegging and HPS for flowering. I would buy some nutes just incase you dont have enough to finish out flowering or counter act a deficiency if one occurs.

Ventilation is a MUST with indoors, get a good centrifugal fan and how big of an area are you going to allocate for your grow? You might want to check out my first thread here the members have given me amazing information and it explains why LEDs arent good for flowering.

http://marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61586

The Silver Bullet Special has given you some good advise.

Sorry you did not discuss the pros and cons of LEDs with experienced growers before you purchased the UFO. The LED may get you through vegging if your space is small, but it will not do for flowering. If you want to have any kind of yield at all, save for a HPS for flowering. The size of the light you need will depend on the size space you have. You need a minimum of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering.

Ventilation is almost as important as your lighting. Your plants need a continual supply of fresh air all the time the lights are on for proper photosynthesis. This mean that you must exchange air, exhausting out old CO2 depleted air and bringing in fresh air. I like to exchange the air in my space several times a minute.

You will also need a space that you can keep absolutely 100% dark for 12 hours a day for flowering. This means absolutely NO interruptions of the dark period.

I have heard both sides, that LEDs dont work or that LEDs do work. I have also SEEN LEDs fail as Well as succeed. I have personally seen single plants grown under LEDs.... As far as the grow space I have a 39"x39"x78" Mylar aero grow tent. Maybe you guys can check this video out I found on youtube from different forums and whatnot... Might not change your mind too much but I did research the lights the guy used and they seem to be pretty well built.... although I do not have the specific light I am pretty sure I can sustain a plant or two with the right attention and nutrients.

hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg

THe link to the lights are under the video.... Idk looks convincing BUT I also understand them trying to make it look good....

On another note im still going to give it a shot and possibly post on a few forums my results and whatnot as time goes on. Lemme know what you think.:icon_smile:

You can even see in the video those buds arent producing as a normal one would under HPS (if you check out some other members grows on here youll see the difference).

Also, with youtube videos people could be very well growing with HPS then just throwing up the LED light just to make it look like the light is making powerhouse buds... I would just use it to assist in veg growth.

What is the size area for growing your two plants? Hemp already stated that you need 5000lumens per square ft in your flower room you will also need 3000 lumens per sq ft when you veg growth. These are also bare minimums for good plant more light is even better!

Munkers said:
I have heard both sides, that LEDs dont work or that LEDs do work. I have also SEEN LEDs fail as Well as succeed. I have personally seen single plants grown under LEDs.... As far as the grow space I have a 39"x39"x78" Mylar aero grow tent. Maybe you guys can check this video out I found on youtube from different forums and whatnot... Might not change your mind too much but I did research the lights the guy used and they seem to be pretty well built.... although I do not have the specific light I am pretty sure I can sustain a plant or two with the right attention and nutrients.

hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxPvN9ke2Xg

THe link to the lights are under the video.... Idk looks convincing BUT I also understand them trying to make it look good....

On another note im still going to give it a shot and possibly post on a few forums my results and whatnot as time goes on. Lemme know what you think.:icon_smile:

It appears that that video was made by the people that make or sell the lights. I never pay any attention to those--simply propaganda. I have never seen a REAL LED grow that I was impressed with. The only grows that look even half-way decent (and they really aren't that great) are the ones made the the LED retailers and I don't trust those at all. Like mentioned, it is very easy to manipulate results.

It would be absolutely wonderful if a 90W LED could adequately light 10-1/2 sq ft, but the truth of the matter is that it won't. Many have tried flowering with LEDs and found them to be wanting. This is one of those cases where if they worked, everybody would be using them--it would be a no-brainer.

You will be able to "sustain" a plant or two. However after putting in 3-4 months or more it is incredibly disappointing to end up with a tiny little harvest. Yield is determined in a large part by your lighting.

Update to an old post: So I Decided to go ahead and give the LED a shot, heres what I got so far.... This is my setup.

setup.jpg

please do a separate grow journal to document your experience with the LED

MOJO your way----:icon_smile: :D

Theses pictures (In order from oldest pic to newest) is what I got going so far. I took the pictures outside the grow tent so you could see it better.... So far so good IMO, im not saying its 100% going to work, but so far ive had pretty good luck. I am giving her water that I leave in a five gallon bucket opened for longer than 24 hours to get rid of any chemicals. I also have given her root hormones, which brand I cant exactly remember at the moment but I will get back on that, and also Iguana grow. Been steady growing for about 6 almost 7 weeks now. Hows my progress so far?

Oldest.jpg

Older.jpg

Old.jpg

New.jpg

New2.jpg

Your growth looks really small for almost 7 weeks. My plants are 4 times that size 7 weeks. What kind of nutes are you using and does your bucket have good drainage. They look healthy and decent growth but it just seems like your plants are growing rather slow.

Munkers said:
Sorry, what do you mean? Im kinda new here....

you are doing it---a journal---entries include pictures with explanations of what we are looking at, time frame between the photos, what you are feeding---a road map of your grow

@Silver, I kinda thought they were small... although I did clip a few shades... Was told that was bad after I did it, not really sure. Also for nutes Im using Iguana Grow and heres a link for its label :http://www.planetnatural.com/planetnatural/images/iguana-juice-grow-label.pdf. Also forgot to mention, I have good drainage yes.
@Orange, oh ok lol, yes I am also doing a journal in a notebook for myself.

Munkers,
The shades/leaves are like solar panels for the plant. they gather the light and turn it into energy. Sometimes growers may clip a fan or two in the flowering stage-but different then.
Keep it green!

:48:

ODF

Damnit.... Lesson learned. NEVER will do that again.

On your live link change the Http to Hxxp... Live links arent allowed on the site (just a heads up for ya). I've never heard of those nutes and I would go with a line more formulated for MJ like FoxFarms or General Hydroponics Flora line of nutes.

Oh ok gotcha. Also noted, although I want to finish with what I have and see how good it actually turns out then next time I will use FF or GH.

The plants look nice but my current Eight Miles High are between 5 and 6 inches tall at 25 days (see the attached link). I am growing under MH as my tent is really too small for T5's.

Quick question, now that Ive made the mistake of cutting the fans, Im currently running 18/6. Would it hurt to change it back to 24/0 For the rest of vegging? Maybe speed it up a little with the healing?

Latest posts

Back