First time grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Silver Bullet Special said:
They're not half the power of an HPS a 300w led won't have the same lumen output and light penetration as a 600W HPS. My buddy I was going to be partnering with is using LEDs and hes half way through flower and is wondering why his buds arent producing with UFO's. LED's simply don't have the light intensity or penetration. The sad thing is the LED light manufacturers(sp) don't even post a lumen output they only advertise by watts of the LED itself.

I'm sure they work by your method, but what about people that have a certain plant count and cant have a bunch of small plants? For my state anything over I believe 3 plants is 15years in the slammer. I'd rather buy bulbs that arent very expensive ($40-$90 the price of an 8th-4th street price) and keep my plant count low.

I've done my research on LEDs and for the most part it's hype. For the price of the light vs how they produce on bigger plants it wasnt worth it to me personally. It would also require smaller spaces which is a little ahrder to control your heat (yes LEDs themselves dont produce heat but the driver boards in them do, thats why they put heatsinks on them).

P.S. My friend is using 4 180W Jumbo UFO lights in a 4x4 area the recommended space for the lights and it's still under producing compared to HPS grows I've seen.

Is any of your arguement proven fact? so bc your friend isnt having good results nobody is?? how many watts are the LEDs in his unit? if they are not 3watt LEDs then the light is prob junk... so i can see why hes having issues...

before your argument was that they didnt work at all... but now your just saying they dont work on large plants...? well which is it?

So they do work depending on your situation or do they not work at all?

Lol such hostility. You're claiming to get great results from small plants well small plant do not need as much light penetration as bigger "normal" plants meaning, hps will still out preform LED given the plant size is 24 inches due to better light penetration. I said they may work in your case but for people that need to keep plant numbers down and yield close to the same they wont work as good as an hps.

I'm not bashing LEDs I'm stating fasts but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I'm not wasting my money on expensive led lights to save 200w of power for not that great of a plant. If they work great for you, good, I'm not you.

Sorry didnt mean to mess up your thread if you want I can delete my posts for you.

LOL hostility? im as cool as the other side of the pillow.... :48:

Im just sick of seeing people gettin bashed for using LEDs... Thats what hes got to work with so help him out... dont just tell him it aint gonna work... get an hps...

I agree with you LEDs are not for every situation but im sure he could pull 2.5-3 zips with the soda bottle SOG in a 2x2' space with that UFO alone...

Im just glad we got ya over the hurdle of saying that they can work...

Now, now guys. Why dont we all just chill and blaze one up lol. Anyways, thanks for the support guys, but please do keep in mind this is my first grow. I dont care if I was handed a profesional setup and told to go nuts, I would not expect my first time to go 100%. I am on the other hand taking notes and making adjustments as you are giving me advice. No need to delete any posts or engage in a heated battle of wrong vs right, just remember this is my thread for my progress/your advice. I have many questions yet to be answered. And JustAnotherAntMarching, I do thank you for the support because I wasnt really feeling the love from anyone else when I mentioned using LEDs(Probably because most dont approve of them), but hey watcha gonna do. ON AN UP NOTE, thanks Silver and Hemp godess. I reduced space by about 60% or so and moved my light right on top about 2 inches or so away and it seemed to respond very well! I will give it another day or two and I have to water it tomorrow and then I will take some photos.

Also, whoever mentioned the watering thing(Because im to lazy to go back and look) It is true. From what Ive seen, read, or been told about watering every 2-3 days with this LED moisture is retained extremely well and stays moist for 1-2 weeks cutting down drastically on feeding and with nutes.

Munkers,
Well, if an LED is what you got, then thats what you're gonna use and I can handle that. I've never used LED's myself. I've looked at some grow journals on this site where growers used them and produced some bud-and I am leaving it at that......
Right now Im looking into air-cooled 600 hps, but only if it can happen-only my shadow and I know, for the smog of uncertainty is upon me again.
let us know how things go.
Keep it green!!
:48:
ODF

So I was a little anxious to take some pictures because I had a couple questions, here what I took....

New1.jpg

new2.jpg

New3.jpg

new4.jpg

The front of it filled in quickly and looks better than it did before I lowered the light.... But why is the back of it looking empty? it because of the light or the way its tilted backward? And why is my stalk got brown spots... Its only close to the dirt in that one spot but the stalk is also curved instead of straight up... Anyone got a little help for me?

Munkers the back is more then likely getting alot of shade since your plant is leaning alil... she looks very healthy to me...

What if I tied the branch down leaning back? Maybe that would help some? I just topped her today.... Probably will only do it once.

:cry:OH NO! I went outside just a couple minutes ago to feed my baby and now she looks like this:

new.jpg

new2.jpg

new1.jpg

I got a question about buying a PH tester, what kind should I get? I see a couple different kinds online but what do you guys suggest would be best to test the water/soil?

The most affordable that is worth having is the Milwaukee PH600 but they are only good for about a year of use before they get so far off that you can't calibrate them anymore. Here is a good quality and relatively cheap meter to get you started: hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HANNA-HI99104-99104-PH-METER-TESTER-CHECKER-/300422601645?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45f2951bad Just right click on the URL and click copy. then put your cursor over the search box at the top of the page and right click and click paste. then double-click over the hxxp at the beginning of the URL and type http, then hit enter and it will take you right to it. :)

Thanks Hushpuppy! Just checked it out and im just gonna go ahead and order one sinse i am in dire need. Hope it arrives quick!

So I went out to check on her today as her leaves were moist like it was letting out water? Only some of them were like this and more towards the top than bottom. Why is this and is it good/bad?

No, it just looked like moisture from a spray bottle or something...

OK im going to post more pics up later but I have more of them leaves now... I took off the last ones and they were all fine and new ones growing and now it just so happens that my plant was touching the light again already.... And it looks a little different but the leaves that were touching look the same yellowish.... The other ones appear to have a "burn" looking spot on them.... Ill get back with pics after my phone charges some. Also that moisture thing on the leaves still appear to be there.... Dont know what to make of it I even googled it...

Take a look at this-hope it helps-change xx to tt

hxxp://www.weedfarmer.com/cannabis/plant_abuse_guide.php

Latest posts

Back