fridge off at night so save elec?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like they say, keeping those "instant on" devices unpluged will roll that electric bill down. When I got this computer, my bill went up ten bucks, same with the new plasma TV, so unplugging them is what I am doing. Actually just hitting the red button on the power surge thing. Turning the temps down on the hot water heater will save even if you use propane, and the AC up to 80, sounds like a winner. Good luck, let us know if the fridge gets turned off and the results.

Mutt said:
Things like frdges, freezers, hot water heaters, AC units are best left to run at there pace.

It takes more energy to bring something up or down to temp than to maintain the temp setting. If you let them drop or raise above the temps by unplugging it causes more and longer work for it to get it back up, unlike just having it kick on for a few minutes then off as it maintains its temp. It also causes excessive wear and tear on it.
I know you probably believe that what you've said about hot water heaters is true, but it's not.

By doing what I've suggested, it can save about 30-50 bucks a month in electric costs, every month. That shows that it takes less energy concerning hot water heaters.

Lots of people are mistaken about that, just as you are Mutt.

It's also not true about the A/C temp. That's an old wifes-tale that can be shown false with one quick call or email the power company. They have tons of data on it that show you can save good money by turning your thermostat up during non-at-home hours and by closing vents in unused rooms during the day.

Fridges are also well insulated. They don't drop temp very fast. You can turn it off completely for four hours, on for 30 minutes and off again for four hours at night and save a noticeable amount of money each month.

All of this is absolutely provable information. The misinformation in your last post is all very popular belief passed on from people 50 years ago when it was true. With today's Energy saving devices and advanced insulation and fast recovery devices, that information is no longer true unless you're using a fridge from the 1950's and an A/C unit from the 60's and have a house built more than 30 years ago.

Freezers, same thing. They are so well insulated in the last 20 years, that you can again use the four off, 30 min on, four off, at night and save money each month. The food in either the fridge or freezer will not know the difference.

zipflip said:
thanks stoney. i'll have to look into it.
but if im not mistaken a persons home hot water heater is basically hardwired into they fuse/breaker box, No? jus curious if any extra electrical wiring will be required.
The instructions come with the timer and are pretty easy. I did my own in about an hour. Very little new wire is required.

Here's a few of the types:

hXXp://www.shopzilla.com/electrical-supplies/water-heater-timers/25000700/products

From what I've read, timers aren't a good idea on gas water heaters for several reasons.

A few tips I can offer to save power:

- Run your lights at night, off peak hours

- Ensure your room is temp stabilizes and reduce as many fans in the dark as you can, without hindering your circulation.

- Turn off all other non essential items during the day, especially cell phone chargers.

- Keep the curtains closed and the house sealed up when it is hot, then vent in the evenings when it gets cooler.

- If you have to use an ac unit, use it in your grow room.

- Hand wash dishes.

- Get a gas or tankless water heater.

- Turn off your computer when you are done using it.

ok... here are some PROVEN (by me) electricity saving measures...

change yer incandescent light bulbs (ESPECIALLY Halogen bulbs) to CFL's... or AT LEAST lower the wattage of the bulbs if ya don't wanna go with CFL's

I turn my central heating furnace OFF from about April-Sept (it is gas, but it uses a lot of electricity to run the fan...)

I use my closeline to dry my laundry... NOT the dryer

as tcbud said, only use your appliances (dishwasher, washing machine) only whith FULL LOADS

do not leave lights on in unoccupied rooms

don't use an A/C at all (unless you need it in the grow room)... unless yer a wuss

RARELY do I use the oven/stove... I use my BARBEQUE (sp?) almost all year round

I rarely watch TV... (probably cuz I'm so busy looking after my babies all day/every day...:rolleyes: )... instead, just listen to the radio - uses much less power

oh... and at xmas time?... nix those damn energy hogging xmas lights....

I've cut my power consumption IN HALF with these techniques even with running 2600W of lights and fans and stuff... just think about the necessity of using that electricity to run whatever it is you are about to use it for... little things add up fast when it comes to saving energy....

when we had a 3 day black out a few years ago on the east coast, my deep freeze was still frozen solid after 2 days, just dont open the door.

Lots of people are mistaken about that, just as you are Mutt.
huh?!?!?
alright stoney, what ever...easy to say someone is wrong without evidence other than your own personal statement. NO where have i ever seen that by reducing the ambient temperature which in turn reduces the ambient temp of tyhe food create more efficiency, thats why they have a built in thermostat, to maintain ambient temp. The longer the more temp is dropped. a full fridge set at proper temp is the full efficency of the appliance period. Changing the dial does more than a timer.On average it takes 2x the amount of energy to bring up to temp then it is to maintain it. this is just physics..not opinion.

Fridges are also well insulated. They don't drop temp very fast. You can turn it off completely for four hours, on for 30 minutes and off again for four hours at night and save a noticeable amount of money each month.

The fridge cuts on when temp drops...not on its own timer. So if the temp doesn't drop below the thermostat seting it won't cut on...sound to me your just using a timer to do what the thermostat job is. insulation is what makes it efficient. Take off the timer put a thermometer in there and set the thermostat accordingly. Be more efficient to wrap the fridge up in a thermal blanket than a timer. has nothing to do with time in enviro control...its all in temp exchange. thats just physics. not my opinion.
The only thing i could see of use is putting the condensor heater in off and keeping up with your drip pan more would be the only thing. but to put the whole fridge on a timer doesn't make sense period. Set you fridge at about 37F will result in its most efficiency. Do not use the thermostat temps settings use a thermometer for accuracy ;)

Pull the fridge out from the wall a bit, keep the condensor coils clean, blow out the motor condensor heater every now and then, keep the fridge sorta full, and set the temps right and it will work at its most efficiency, you are the only person i have ever heard seen read anywhere that put a timer on a fridge and honestly sounds like your using the timer to do the thermostats job.

A few things i do know about, becuase i have worked from condensors to 25 hp 3 phase systems, hvac, dust and air handling, calculations and design on HVAC, i have hands on experience as well as physics, calculus...spelling i suck math i know.
You are wrong sir.

here's link for you zipflip on thermal jackets for your hot water heater..get better efficiency at less the cost than a timer. ;)
hxxp://www.greatlakeshomeperformance.com/elibrary/Water%20Heater%20Timers%20&%20Jackets.pdf

hxxp://books.google.com/books?id=_TeJm9EuHkAC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=timers+on+refrigerator+for+efficiency&source=bl&ots=oX8tKh1CPu&sig=0QZxKVHGsnYaCyeizDS1TyVjeug&hl=en&ei=oDlqSub7K8qwmAfbw-XlBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Was watching a thing on tv the other night called dragons den and these guys came up with a electrical device that well i cant remember exactly but it saves money.

They were using a standard tv as an example, when it was on stand by the damm thing was using 25w!!
Most homes have about 3 tv's so lets say thats 75w on all day every day...thats a lot of juice.

Mutt said:
huh?!?!?
alright stoney, what ever...easy to say someone is wrong without evidence other than your own personal statement.

I used a meter to measure the amount of kwh used by each device for a month.

The meter proved what I said.

I'm sorry this has upset you so much.

Kill A Watt
Power Monitor

Start reducing your energy bills with the Kill A Watt electricity usage monitor from P3 International. This device enables you to easily make the decisions that can save you money and reduce your electrical consumption. Virtually any household could use this device and reduce its electrical bill in a single month by an amount greater than the one time cost of this unit.

Mutt said:
huh?!?!?
alright stoney, what ever...easy to say someone is wrong without evidence other than your own personal statement. NO where have i ever seen that by reducing the ambient temperature which in turn reduces the ambient temp of tyhe food create more efficiency, thats why they have a built in thermostat, to maintain ambient temp. The longer the more temp is dropped. a full fridge set at proper temp is the full efficency of the appliance period. Changing the dial does more than a timer.On average it takes 2x the amount of energy to bring up to temp then it is to maintain it. this is just physics..not opinion.

The fridge cuts on when temp drops...not on its own timer. So if the temp doesn't drop below the thermostat seting it won't cut on...sound to me your just using a timer to do what the thermostat job is. insulation is what makes it efficient. Take off the timer put a thermometer in there and set the thermostat accordingly. Be more efficient to wrap the fridge up in a thermal blanket than a timer. has nothing to do with time in enviro control...its all in temp exchange. thats just physics. not my opinion.
The only thing i could see of use is putting the condensor heater in off and keeping up with your drip pan more would be the only thing. but to put the whole fridge on a timer doesn't make sense period. Set you fridge at about 37F will result in its most efficiency. Do not use the thermostat temps settings use a thermometer for accuracy ;)

Pull the fridge out from the wall a bit, keep the condensor coils clean, blow out the motor condensor heater every now and then, keep the fridge sorta full, and set the temps right and it will work at its most efficiency, you are the only person i have ever heard seen read anywhere that put a timer on a fridge and honestly sounds like your using the timer to do the thermostats job.

A few things i do know about, becuase i have worked from condensors to 25 hp 3 phase systems, hvac, dust and air handling, calculations and design on HVAC, i have hands on experience as well as physics, calculus...spelling i suck math i know.
You are wrong sir.

here's link for you zipflip on thermal jackets for your hot water heater..get better efficiency at less the cost than a timer. ;)
hxxp://www.greatlakeshomeperformance.com/elibrary/Water%20Heater%20Timers%20&%20Jackets.pdf

hxxp://books.google.com/books?id=_TeJm9EuHkAC&pg=PA189&lpg=PA189&dq=timers+on+refrigerator+for+efficiency&source=bl&ots=oX8tKh1CPu&sig=0QZxKVHGsnYaCyeizDS1TyVjeug&hl=en&ei=oDlqSub7K8qwmAfbw-XlBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1

Sorry but Mutt has it spot on and as a fellow hvac guy . its physic's load vs useage. How many ttimes we open and close that fridge door dictates on how much it costs us. SEER seasonal energy effiecentcy Ratio was created for us consumers.

it al boils down to this... if ya can't pull it off... don't do it!... don't be a fool if ya can't do the crime and get away with it... or else, be prepared to do the time if ya get caught... simple as that!

"if yer gunna play with fire... sometimes yer gunna get burnt..."

life is all about risks... 'n stuff could go wrong at any time, so balace what yer willing to risk... simple as that!

The Effen Gee said:
- Hand wash dishes.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Not these days the wife won't do anymore when she stylen:rofl: she says oh well that what the dish washer for......;)

meds4me said:
Sorry but Mutt has it spot on and as a fellow hvac guy . its physic's load vs useage. How many ttimes we open and close that fridge door dictates on how much it costs us. SEER seasonal energy effiecentcy Ratio was created for us consumers.
I guess I didn't make it clear that the freezer and fridge would, of course, have to stay closed during the off hours. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

I put my meter on each of those devices while I did exactly what I said. After a month, each of them had dropped in kwh usage and my food didn't suffer a bit.

How can that possibly be anything but an energy savings? Less electricity was used.

The milk didn't sour. The frozen stuff stayed frozen. The water was hot by the time I got in the shower.

Each appliance used less kwh for the entire month it was on the meter.

This isn't an opinion either. It's a tested, proven fact.

Now lets get on with marijuana growing and quit all this tension.

Fire it up and chill out! Please!

I'll just send this puppy back and tell them it's not working right.

MVC-008S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG

thanks for all the replies but now im just really confused! maybe ill get one of those meters and find out for myself. stoney where do you get those? any stores sell them?

ross said:
thanks for all the replies but now im just really confused! maybe ill get one of those meters and find out for myself. stoney where do you get those? any stores sell them?
I bought mine online. I don't remember where. I lost that record when my email pst file was corrupted and lost.

If I remember correctly, it cost me about $25 or so.

One thing at a time, I plugged everything in my place into it for a month. It helped me get a handle on my electrical usage and see *exactly* where all my electrical money was being used.

Since the first month, I've cut my electric costs in half.

No sense in giving them bucks for no reason. The meter has paid for itself many times now.

It's a real smart investment.

how much do you people pay in power each month? I know i switched every single bulb in the house to cfl's and lowered the wattage of the bulbs and saw a huge decrease. Im sorry but im a spoiled american and i will run my appliances at their full capacity, and never will I put my food in danger by turning my fridge off for even one second. Im an energy killer, i waste elctricity and water like its nothing, dont judge me

Stoney you are a hero to me in some aspects but i regret to say i must leave the power on

The way i see it, if i cant pay a little extra on my power bill, then i dont need to be growing, but thats me, and like i said before im an energy killa!

...............but im also only using around 750w total for my grow

bluealein56 said:
how much do you people pay in power each month?
about $150-170 summer 110-120 in winter includes AC, 800w surround sound which is on all the time when home, Xbox360 which my comp, movies and TV port through, Large flatscreen monitor, 42" CRT TV, oven fridge deep freeze. 90+ degree weather outside, Hot water heater with blistering hot water...when i want hot water i want hot water ;) all my lights are CFL's and have a thermal wrap around my water heater.
and 400w MH for flower, 120w micro grow, 200w veg.
included on the elecy bill is my trash pick up water and sewage ;)

my fans i didn't count don't know the wattage but they cut off with the lights. veg and micro on 18/6 flow has most and is on only during lights on.

bluealein56 said:
Stoney you are a hero to me in some aspects but i regret to say i must leave the power on
Heheehe, that's just because you haven't seen me in my spandex hero suit and cape. :eek:

I also have a "High/Low" temp gauge on both my fridge, regular freezer and my sushi freezer. I never let any of them get above the safe zone.

I live by myself and have the night time to have these things off every night. With others in the house or kids, it would be a lot harder to do.

I had to tweak my whole house to keep the electric people from seeing an unusual amount of electrical usage. During non-grow periods, I don't use these methods and it makes my power bill almost a constant.

That makes me feel safer.

The largest decrease was the CFLs. What a difference! I had regular lights all through the house. Several 3-way lights that were in the 150W mode most of the time they were on.

The CFLs kind of whack you when you buy them, but they save a bundle in electric costs.

Latest posts

Back