furnace oil burner burner help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zem

Reaction score
i had a problem with the burner, it would shut off the breaker when put on, i figured there was some burnt piece and it turned out to be the transformer of the electrodes, had it replaced, and then tried to bleed the furnace. at first it wouldn't bleed, so i removed and cleaned the dirty filter, put it back on, so now the oil flow was good, but it took a lot of bleeding and the oil was pouring out but would not reach the nozzle, so i figured that i had yet more dirt between the filter and the nozzle. and then comes the mind blowing part, i took a lunch break and thought that after that, i would strip that thing apart for cleaning, so when i came back, i tried one more time to bleed it, but, this time, it wouldn't bleed! just like it was before cleaning, and it started to get messy, as i became tired from crouching down, i removed the filter off and on like 3 times took every screw out cleaned it all, checked if there it oil flowing when i open the oil valve and the flow is great. i have no clue what the hell is wrong with this thing. i have no problem changing the filter, but really, i worry to go buy some useless piece, only to find out that it was something that i missed that was wrong, as it looks as if it is new. that repair took a lot of energy out of me, it really really sucked and it still hadn't worked. Anyone with helping info please? :(

Are you saying the filter is clear and you still don't get flow out the bleeder?
If so, check that the pump coupling is not broke, look thru the small slots between the pump and motor.
If its not could be the pump.

If this was natural gas bro I'd have it nailed but I'm not an oil guy. Like grow dude said the pump but also the tank could be air locked. This is a prime reason why I hate oil beside its dirty and smells.

Sounds like tank is air locked or flow is stopped up some how. I'd check pump, the air inlet at tank. Then I'd check to see where flow starts and stops along the line.

You sure you didn't shut a valve go smoke a fatty and forget you closed it? LoL just odd it was working then you had lunch and she stopped

thanks Growdude and StankDank. I am now 99% sure that it is pump failure. although the pump looks very clean inside, and nothing seems to be out of place, it seems like it is not pumping oil. I still have to find out what the pump coupling actually is, as i don't know where this piece is found, if it is that plastic that goes from the pump to the motor, i even had this changed just to make sure. or is it something inside the motor itself that holds to that plastic piece?

I would need pics as I don't work on oil. I'm a natural gas propane guy. I have oil buddies I could pass pics along.

Im new on this site, but I do have oil heat experience , Pump is more then likely bad . coupler connects pump shaft to burner motor ..

also.. oil line could be clogged, btw how much oil is in tank ? does line come out of bottom or top of tank ?

Im new on this site, but I do have oil heat experience , Pump is more then likely bad . coupler connects pump shaft to burner motor ..

Thanks for the good info and welcome to MP!
I opened up the pump and had a look at its heart, the rotating wheels seem like they are brand new, shiny and clean. how does a pump that looks so clean inside stop operating after it had been good for a while?

You need to OHM out the windings of the motor in the pump. The motor could also have an internal overload that is tripping and causing the motor to shut off.
You will need a multimeter to troubleshoot if you can't see it with you eyes.

I hope it's not -20 like it is where I live.

You need to OHM out the windings of the motor in the pump. The motor could also have an internal overload that is tripping and causing the motor to shut off.
You will need a multimeter to troubleshoot if you can't see it with you eyes.

I hope it's not -20 like it is where I live.

this thing broke down just after the last storm, where it got to lows of -4 and luckily it passed us through the storm and broke after it. now it goes to low of 8 at night but any day may carry new weather so I have to fix this today.

the motor "in the pump"? the pump is not hooked to electric by itself, rather to an external big motor that spins it. the motor is spinning freely. think that I will go ahead and buy a new pump, it's like 75$

it's a big storm again and it is warm inside :D i just remembered this thread, because it was more complicated than i thought. it turned out that the pump was broken, but not only that, everything but the motor itself was broken too. i bought the 75$ pump and it pumped but the solenoid was blocked so i just removed the inner valve and relied on the solenoid that comes with the pump. but the nozzle was clogged, so i changed it and i had previously changed the trans for the electrodes, and the eye was malfunctioning so it was changed too, so the thing burned, BUT for a coupe of hours before the breaker switched off just like it had at the beginning, so i checked the new transformer, and it was fried again! so i tested the electric to it by hooking a light bulb in the transformer's place and it turned out that the automatic controller or relay of the motor is broke and is leaving the transformer ON after the flame is on, so i had to buy a new relay + trans and what else. the whole issue cost me like 240$. I guess that if I knew from the start that everything can break at the same time, i would have bought a new burner, but on the bright side, it has been working flawlessly since then, every iece on it is brand new except for the motor itself, and i am warm and happy :D

Good to hear Zem glad you hung in there. It's neat you used a light bulb . Guess you don't own a multi meter

i could have tested it with the screwdriver electric tester, but i wanted it to be hands free since i was running the motor and oil too. I had to light it up manually for 2 nights by throwing in a small burning paper and turning it on LOL dangerous to do if you forget it running it could pump oil with no burning but i had to do it so i tuned up the thermostat in this way it kept running until i put it off. right now it is back on its own timer so every morning it is warm and afternoon till evening it is warm.

Latest posts

Back