Growing From Seed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffsta

Reaction score
I have lost a lot of feminized seeds. Some people say to germinate and plant the seeds and keep them in the dark until the first leaves break through.

Others say to germinate, and plant seeds and put under CFL's immediately.

Which is it???

TIA

Yo Ho ffsta,

The skinny is this. There are many who like to sprout their beans between two sheets of a good clean, bleach, and dye free paper towels. I'm here to tell you that you can sprout your beans in a simple container filled with a good loamy soil.
Place your beans no deeper than 1/4 inch deep in the soil, water well, and yes you CAN and should put them under a CFL if you are going to do anything with them indoors. Pick a CFL that is more designed to grow plants, (aquarium lights).

I like simple, it usually works well until someone tries to make a better mouse trap ya know ?

smoke in peace
KK :cool:

:yeahthat: Ain't that the truth King

Yea i use the paper towel method ...I try and keep the paper towel in a dark warm area , once the bean sprouts i add it to my grow medium and put it under a CFL ...

EZ&SAFE

That is how I do it. Just wasn't sure if I should turn on the lights right away, or wait until they sprouted. I have been reading that some people suggest complete darkness after planting until the first leaves break ground.
Thanks

this the exact question i had. i just put a bean in a rapid rooter medium. it has like a 1/4 inch tap root. anyway i was also wondering if i should have the light on in the humidity dome and if so does it need to be on the same cycle that ill be using.

its an auto ak47. they recommend 18/6 light cycle.

Some people choose to leave them in darkness until the 1st set of leaves come pop up and some don't ...LOL... It's all a matter of preference i'm not positive but i really don't think it makes much of a difference...

EZ&SAFE

simply put.. plants can not use light before green vegetation is present.. "however", the heat produced by the light source may be beneficial in 'some' cases.

tbomun said:
this the exact question i had. i just put a bean in a rapid rooter medium. it has like a 1/4 inch tap root. anyway i was also wondering if i should have the light on in the humidity dome and if so does it need to be on the same cycle that ill be using.

its an auto ak47. they recommend 18/6 light cycle.

I am not a big fan of those rapid rooter plugs for seed starting...they work great for clones but I hve lost a number of beans trying to germ in them...I too hve found the easiest way is to just put the bean in your soil...water and put under a cfl and wait...no messing with a seed with a tap root and excessive handling...

Latest posts

Back