Harvest Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FUM

Reaction score
Three (3) of my Indica gals say that the trichromes are done (foggy and turning amber). The only thing is the hairs are still (mostly) white. Are they trying to fake me out, or are they? Waiting for advise.

Man, this is an assume site. I can't thank you all enough,You all have been a big help in my season.

Harvest Time :yay: congrats..post up some pics when ya can..we Love pics...i like just start Amber...good High...take care and be safe

Thank you all for your advice. I going to go falling. Timberrrrrrrrr!!!! Oh boy howdy. I'm stocked.

Job well done FUM...you survived a strange season:D

Pics...Pics...like 4U said;)

awesome job! Any pics? let us know how it smokes!

Hey FUM I don't know if you harvested yet but in my opinion if the hairs are still sticking out and are bright white then they aren't ready.

Contrary to what everyone who posted seems to think, it's NOT all about the trichomes. They are an important part of judging a plants ripeness. To ignore all other signs the plant is giving you is selling yourself a bit short no?

Post some pics if you can.

MennoTheWise said:
Hey FUM I don't know if you harvested yet but in my opinion if the hairs are still sticking out and are bright white then they aren't ready.

Contrary to what everyone who posted seems to think, it's NOT all about the trichomes. They are an important part of judging a plants ripeness. To ignore all other signs the plant is giving you is selling yourself a bit short no?

:bong: you cut your plant with red hairs and clear thc ima wait till my thc turns amber

MennoTheWise said:

Ignore this.

:peace:

Some strains will be pumping out white pistils, long after the optimal harvest window has passed. Trichs color and condition are the way to judge. Hippy is right (again)

MennoTheWise said:
Or? Do some research. It couldn't hurt ;)
Ripeness, potency can always be determined best by trichomes...
If you have "research" proving different, I along with the entire forum would love to see it.

Did you know trichomes swell and shrink in stages? So it may appear to someone that peak harvest has passed and degradation has begun but within a couple of days the trichomes swell again with increased vigour. This unfortunately is not well documented by people.

THC is abundant in resin heads yes? So when we see the trichomes turn cloudy and amber we are watching the development of THC. At last count there are at least 66 cannabinoids and we don't know what most of them do because the governments of the world don't allow proper research of the plant. Are you telling me that these are all irrelevant and don't need to ripen as well as the THC to give you the best smoke?

Terpenoids and flavinoids are also a huge part of having a successful harvest. They need time to mature and develop their flavour. But if all we are doing is looking at the trichomes we're oblivious to all the other things the plant is telling us.

But who knows man? Not you or me because cannabis, for the most part still remains a mystery. This is the philosophy I have when it come to harvesting, maybe I'm wrong. To each their own.

....'yes'.. "windows" of harvest are a well known fact. "IMO" and ..'philosophy (and according to all of the harvesting guides that I have seen) when the "window" is open, the trichomes are ripe, so must be the 'other' cannabaniods'.
hXXp://www.mellowgold.com/grow/mjbotany-removed/marijuanabotany4.html
This is the philosophy I have when it come to harvesting, maybe I'm wrong. To each their own.
"philosophy"... ;), you stated that I should research...no documentation of the 'research'? .. links?

MennoTheWise said:
Did you know trichomes swell and shrink in stages? So it may appear to someone that peak harvest has passed and degradation has begun but within a couple of days the trichomes swell again with increased vigour. This unfortunately is not well documented by people.

Well, personal experience tells me that this is not true. Trichs go from clear to cloudy to amber and then they start turning brown. When they turn brown, there is no "regeneration"--no trichs swelling with increased vigor. They continue to degrade until there are no trichs left. I have had strains where the hairs stay white and never turn red and some that turn early in flowering.

Well MennoTheWise I'm going with the Trichomes thory for my harvest. Allthough I have harvested four (4) branches, just to check and see if I can tell the differance. Some one sugested harvesting on the full moon. These branches will cover that thory also. I like to listen to everyones thory(s), and make my own judgement(s).

I want to thank everyone for your advice this growing season. I learned alot from this site.

Latest posts

Back