having problems cloning!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frank_P

Reaction score
Hi guys i currently runing a hydro system out of my closet i divided it by two on one side i have a 150w for seedlings mother and clones and the other a 400w for veg and flowering. i recently took clippings from my first set of plants (that i planted from seed) so i dont know if they are female yet but when i put them in the cloning side a day or two later they were all dryed and dying!! i covered them and placed them in rockwool with 20 20 20 i tried doing a second time and some thing can anyone help me out maybe im doing something wrong? i read alot of forms but nothing really helped! so ya thanks for ur help and support guys !! Frank_p :)

By 20 20 20 if you mean ferts ot nutes, you burned up the clones. Clones need plain PH'd water no nutes Read in the resources about cloning.

get a nursery flat, a humidity dome, and a propagation heating mat.... soak your rockwool cubes in plain ph'd water.... take you cuttings and plug them in the rockwool cubes.... put them in the flat with the dome on.... put on the heating mat.... most importantly, be patient....

that's about as simple as i can make it for ya.... DO NOT let the rockwool dry out at any point.... and DO NOT fertilize until well after roots have shown and you've transplanted.... i think you had a combo of no moisture and over fertilizing....

when i clone I clip into water so that the tips dont get aired out.. fleshstain is dead on..except I skip the heating pad and spray with fresh water twice daily..and spray the dome keeping them under flor lights...

I hate rockwool I use the other stuff those little brown things...much better

i'm with 2Dog.... i hate rockwool too.... Rapid Rooters and Jiffy Plugs can work just as good, if not better.... Rapid Rooters are the best in my opinion....

ya i use rockwool thanks guys i think its cause i used 20 20 20 nut at the start of the cloning. is it possible to clone after the plants have been switched to 12/12 lighting?

it is possible.... try to take them as soon as you though.... once the flowering hormones have kicked in it makes it harder for the fresh cuts to root.... usually takes a bit longer too from my past experiences....

build yourself a bubble cloner and never look back.

Cloning machines, regardless of the type have their own problems -- the main one being getting slime mold or other organisms into the system and then failing ot properly clean the system before reusing it -- but they can be very productive too.

Personally, I like cloning into Oasis cubes because they are a lot less work to prepare than rockwool and if you are going to use them in hydro the peat based blocks, regardless of shape MAY leach through your grow media after transplanting and mess up your pumps or other parts of your system.

Another newer alternative to rockwool is Sure To Grow which is very similar to rockwool in use and growing procedures except that it does NOT have to be conditioned ahead of time because it is instantly wettable, PH neutral, chemically inert and sterile. It is made from PET1 plastic and they are introducing a certified organic version that is biodegradable. In fact it is my understanding that once the organic/biodegradable version is in main stream production, they are going to discontinue the current, but I could be wrong.

The main things that I have discovered are keeping the stem of the cutting moist, or even wet and preferably in the dark, but I've seen my mother clone plants by just putting the cuttings in a glass jar of water and put it in the kitchen window sill. Another thing is you have to keep them WARM -- at least over 65F or they will not root! I learned that the hard way with 2 batches of clones -- did every thing identically bur 0% success until I remembered it was staying about 70F at night so once I moved them into the veg room where it was warmer, they started rooting again.

Good smoking.

I've cloned a lot of plants and rockwool has never been a problem (I have 100% success in rockwool soaked in ph6.5 water). I think the deal is to have that dome over the plants and spritz the air (inside the dome, NOT the plants) twice daily. I keep it as humid as the inside of a beaver and the plants all eventually show good roots in 2-3 weeks. Annoyingly I have more female clones than I can use right now.

Ive got 7 right now I just stuck in the rockwool, no presoaking and they are fine.

Growdude said:
Ive got 7 right now I just stuck in the rockwool, no presoaking and they are fine.

People mess up rockwool by using domes and misting.

ozzydiodude said:
By 20 20 20 if you mean ferts ot nutes, you burned up the clones. Clones need plain PH'd water no nutes Read in the resources about cloning.

I do 2 weeks of plain water spraying 2x per day, domed of course, 24 hours per day CFL or window sill light. Now in late fall I also place outside in sunshine during the day.

After 2 weeks, I use 20-20-20 half-strength 1x per week to help get the growth going.

Nothing burns for me this way. But first 2 weeks must be only water.

Growdude said:
People mess up rockwool by using domes and misting.
:yeahthat:

Esp the misting!

I leave the dome on for no more than 2-3 days and when it's warm and the RH is up, no dome at all.

People tend to complicate the simple.:hubba:

DD

Clonebucket... put them in and forget about them for 2 weeks.... no dome... ive lost 1 clone out of 4 batches of 15-18 each time... theres currently clone that have been in it for over 6 weeks and they have roots longer then most females have hair...

during the summer when it is hot I love my clone dome..couldnt live without it. have had almot 100% sucess rate with it.

Latest posts

Back