HELP ON CFL's VERSUS MH, HPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No 85 is good for many strains. 80 is good for all strains. 70-75 is too cool for most strains. If you use co2 then anything under 85 is not too potential.

... The ideal temperature is 68 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 25 degrees ...
www.drugs-plaza.com/marijuana/growing.php
The ideal temperature to grow marijuana is around 75 degrees F or 24 degrees C.
www.marijuanaseedbanks.com/growing_marijuana_indoors.html
. The ideal temperature for the light hours is 68 to 78 degrees fahrenheit
www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_cultivation2.shtml
The ideal temperature range is between 68 and 78 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 25 degrees Celsius).
www.420magazine.com/forums/grow-faq/63695-f-q.html
The ideal temperature for the light hours is 68 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit and ..... The author, Jorge Cervantes is a renowned expert on Marijuana growing,
www.onlinepot.org/grow/article6.htm
The ideal grow room temperature is between 20-28° C , with the best results being
www.gonesouth.co.uk/grow-media/marijuana-weed-cannabis-growing-supplies.html
Maximum temperatures should ideally never rise above 26°C, so you must do everything you can to prevent your room getting too hot (run lights at night, use exhaust fans, air conditioners, etc). An ideal temperature range is 24-25°C when the lights are on, and 22°C when the lights are off.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/1536.html

I failed to find a single expert, recommending 80+F temps.(without co2 induction)

I think to say out right that marijuana likes to be at this temp is just a bit naive to be honest.

It's quite probable that the experts are correct and that they have observed that 80+ temps don't do quite as well as 75 temps, but to be completely honest it all depends on what strains they were testing this out on.

I know for a fact that if you get greenhouse white widow and delta 9 labs stargazer and grow them in 85 deg+ heat you will get a different response from the two plants.

The stargazer plant is really sensative to heat and likes a cooler temperature where the white widow can handle more. Last summer i was running more than i should and trying to do too much
for the entire flowering period the temps didn't drop below 100 and most of the time they were 110+, I didn't have any co2 supplement nor did i have any for of air/heat extraction as that is just not possible in my situation, so i just had to carry on with the heat, the plants turned out fine, got a little bit of burn on a couple of plants on the whole it was no biggie.

In my eyes 85 degrees isn't that bad of a temperature to run out depending on what strain you have.

Even if you go to sensi seeds website or whoever you can read information about strains and the heat they can handle, most companies even seperate them into groups, indoor, indoor/greenhouse, outdoor. These 3 different categories will show what temperature these plants like and can handle, in their literature it states that outdoor plants can be grown upto a latitude of 65 deg north indoor greenhouse 60 and indoor 55 outside, this alone says that the plants will prefer different temperatures.

I don't want to fight or argue with anyone, this is just from my own experience and observations, this isn't some snippet of information that has been handed from person to person and god knows how many times.

I've seen quite a few jorge cervantes errors and ed rosenthal too and lots of the pros and quite often they say one thing and then 6 months down the line their opinion has changed, this is just because we are constantly learning about this plant and what its intentions in life really are.

If we went on everything that had been passed along we would be feeding them birth control pills putting nails through the stems and god knows what else.

So in summary i don't think that 85 deg heat will cause negative effects that will be noticeable unless your growing maybe an outdoor strain indoors.

I just think 666

Temps 66.6
PH 6.66
Humidity 66.6

Perfect conditions for vegging

The other thing i would really love to know is,

where in the world do you get 18 hour days sunshine every day throughout summer then 12 hours a day in fall/winter while keeping these 75f ideal temperature conditions and not dropping too much in the dark period

I doubt such a place in the world exists (outside a grow room)

If we went on everything that had been passed along we would be feeding them birth control pills putting nails through the stems and god knows what else.
I don't see "the experts" telling folks to do these things. Just as I don't see the experts saying 85-100 is "recommended" ideal temp's.
ntire flowering period the temps didn't drop below 100 and most of the time they were 110+, I didn't have any co2 supplement nor did i have any for of air/heat extraction as that is just not possible in my situation, so i just had to carry on with the heat, the plants turned out fine,
...and under the "ideal recommended" temps, do you suppose that they would have done/been better?... of course they would have.
I've little doubt, that those excessive temps affected your final yield AND potency negatively.

Hick said:
I don't see "the experts" telling folks to do these things. Just as I don't see the experts saying 85-100 is "recommended" ideal temp's.

...and under the "ideal recommended" temps, do you suppose that they would have done/been better?... of course they would have.
I've little doubt, that those excessive temps affected your yeild AND potency.

Maybe, but they still turned out strong weed and i got a decent yield, it may well have effected it but not by a massive amount,

i'm not saying everyone lets do 100 degrees everything is cool because its not, i'm just saying that the temp range given, is too set in stone, theres not enough variation in that for strain variation.

I'm fully away that outdoor climate is totally different to indoor, but the plants that all our genetics are bred from like colombian gold and strains from ketama valley and pakistan and afghanistan are getting heat quite a bit higher than that temp range your talking about.

Anyways i've said all I'll say because I don't really want to debate on this, just expressing my opinion and experience.

I don't believe anyone has said that mj "won't" grow and produce under "less than ideal" conditions/temps/ect. And I agree, there is a wide variation of temps that mj will do "well" in. But it will not do it's "best" under excessive conditions.
I'm not trying o be 'antagonistic" or "arguementative" here, but I regret seeing documented facts from several different experts, be disputed by opinions and rumors. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with stateing your opinion and experiences. I'm not trying to dissuade that. Simply making certain that the newbies aren't eluded into thinking that it is "correct/good" advice.

Hick said:
I don't believe anyone has said that mj "won't" grow and produce under "less than ideal" conditions/temps/ect. And I agree, there is a wide variation of temps that mj will do "well" in. But it will not do it's "best" under excessive conditions.
I'm not trying o be 'antagonistic" or "arguementative" here, but I regret seeing documented facts from several different experts, be disputed by opinions and rumors. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with stateing your opinion and experiences. I'm not trying to dissuade that. Simply making certain that the newbies aren't eluded into thinking that it is "correct/good" advice.

If you would be gracious enough to read my first post, i stated that i never disputed that obviously experts have probably charted the difference more than me but for what you lose for being those 10 degrees out at 85 really isn't going to hurt.

and the last statement.

simply making certain that the newbies aren't eluded into thinking it is correct or good advice, I would also like to say that panicing people into thinking that 85 is no good and maybe putting them off a 400 w hps and they get say a 200 w cfl or something and then they lose out on more yield that way.

If running a hid is going to give you 85 degree temps and theres nothing you can do about it, i'd take that over cfls and 75 deg heat.

We think along similar lines, my biggest problem is when people try to say something is set in stone and this is the way you do it and you make it happen.

I have a great deal of respect for you hick and I wish no mallace, this is getting kinda silly over nothing because we are both right, while I conceed that what your saying is correct as experts have charted this, it isn't the be all and end all.

You are absolutely correct in that, each individual grower/op, has unique circumstances, conditions, that may require "outside of the box" thinking and or techniques in order to accomplish what we are ALL attempting to achieve.
Everyone needs find what works best for their individual circumstance.

POTUS said:
CFLs put out more heat than either Halides or HPS on a watt by watt basis. CFLs are less efficient than either Halides or HPS on a lumen by lumen basis as well.

This information is available from many resources. A quick email to any light manufacturer would be the simplest way to prove it.

If you use 3,000 lumens of CFLs in one area and 3,000 lumens of Halides in another identical area and 3,000 lumens of HPS in a third identical area, the facts would become instantly obvious that what I'm saying is correct.

Charts showing the efficiency of different types of lights are available here on this site or with a simple Google.

Good luck man!

***!!!
I run one just one 400W hps and 1 double canopy 250+250W envirolite and those cfls make much less( 2x less) heat than one 400W hps, by the way where did you get that nonsense?
ain`t talking about efficiency of cfl as I have no finished project yet.
Anyways I`ll come back someday with 100% proofed data + pictures.
Good luck to growers.

Latest posts

Back