I cant stop her from growing up...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elliot Jansen

Reaction score
This particular plant, ever since her mother was a seed, all she wanted to do was grow tall. Her growing traits made me think that she was a male, because all she wanted to do was tower over her siblings and stretch.. But as it turned out she is a very robust, hearty female. I put her into flower at 18 inches just as an expirement, and she grew over foot in flower mode. She is now over 33 inches tall. IS this normal, or just a really good trait she has from her parents? She is flowering like crazy, but I was wondering if it would be better to redirect her growing energy into bushing out instead of up. Does topping your plant really increase yield that much? I really like the way her cola looks, and I don't think you get one when you top her.. I'd put up a picture but my girl took her digi cam back.. I'll get one up.

yes a plant can double or triple its size during the first few weeks of flowering then she will start to fill out ,,,i wouldnt mess about with her whilst shes in flower ,,,but next time during veg you could try topping or lst it wont inrease your yeild just lst will maximise its use of bud sites :peace:

someone will correct me if im wrong ,,still learning :p

There is something really satisfying about growing a really big fat cola such as you can only get from a plant that's taken its natural form, you're right.
If you've got the height, go for it.
If you haven't, try bending the top over, slowly, using a weight or rubber bands initially.

Let her go when she is flowering. To much messing with her could stress her and maybe turn her hermie. We don't want that now do we.

When you put your plant into flower stage you should expect the plant to grow another TWO THIRDS in height. If you have the space then it's no problem, if not then you need to take action. You've said you put her into flower at 18" but how many weeks into veg was that? How many weeks till she hit 33"? These are important numbers to know as you'll want to know if you're going to have the height to carry a full flower cycle, which should really last 8 weeks. Is it Indica or Sativa? Indica will produce a slimmer taller plant where Sativas are more likely to produce a bushier plant. But given the wide range of strains and varietys today that could be hard for the novice to pinpoint. Given your plants pentient for upward growth I'd hesitate to top or otherwise adjust it's growth since I suspect this plant of future hermitism as it shows male traits for height. Males reach upward mobility to be ready for the female flowers to emerge we all know this, so just keep a close eye on those nodes and pistols and remember YOU ARE IN CONTROL.;)

If anyone disagrees with anything i've said then please please correct me so we can help a friend grow big and reap a bountiful harvest of happyhappy!
Grow on and be safe!:)

just depends on the strain, i seen plants in mexico over 10foot, (outdoors ofcorse) with stocks as big as my calf's. sativas will just grow grow grow. my youngest plants are my super sliver haze plants, they are all so, my tallest!.... an they still have yet to show sex, i have no choise to tie them down once i get some flowers showing. i ant going to dare touch them yet, as this is a very imporet time right befor flowering but i have read it is safe to do it with a week after flowering. but once the buds take off its to late.....but i all so don't wanna end up with a 5 foot plant. would be nice but no. don't got that kind of space.i would have to move out all my other plants an put them in there. now for LST in veggie stage. it is very very import it to start it young. an if u do start it after 3 weeks is a danger. i did it after 3 weeks old with one, an it whent start male, but the one i started at 2 weeks old, turned it to a huge bushy female.

Plants will generally stretch either because of inadequate light or because that is just how the strain grows. As mentioned, plants can double or even triple in height after put into flowering.

Pictures would really help...

Ive got the room. My grow room is 7 feet tall, and about 4 ft across. I just had to adjust accordingly to her height because I hadn't planned for that in my initial setup. But if thats true (growing 2/3 her height in flower), then I might as well let her go to like 2 or 3 ft in veg, and try for some 4ft 5ft fat girls, and maximize my space. I have been debating whether or not to go 1 huge bushy plant or 4 smaller 1ft plants.

Light: I think that I may have more light than I should in that room. 400 HPS, with some reflective material bouncing rays around.

Strain: Lemongrass Thai. And according to the seed gurus she is 50/50 Sativa/Indica.

Hermie: Haven't seen any signs of seed bearing fruit.

Pics: I know.. I'll get some up, my girl took her cam back.. Maybe I should just get a cam for Christmas.. :)

They have nutes that stop all vertical growth..I use bushmaster. It saves me 2 weeks in flowering because the plant doesn't stretch. It also stacks the budding sites. Just use low doses as it is a very potent nute

SativaWeed said:
Indica or Sativa? Indica will produce a slimmer taller plant where Sativas are more likely to produce a bushier plant. If anyone disagrees with anything i've said then please please correct me so we can help a friend grow big and reap a bountiful harvest of happyhappy!
Grow on and be safe!:)

one correction indies=bushier, sats=taller;)

i agree with the correction.sats will grow thru the roof and hardly ever real bushy

Oh yeah? Bushmaster huh? Didn't know they had nutes that would stunt verticle growth.. Nice. Oh and I didn't mean that I would top in flower.. I didn't make that too clear... I meant on my next clone. Her cola is just now starting to look nice.

Latest posts

Back