I have looked for...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilikebigbuds

Reaction score
I have been looking for a thread that had mentioned purple stems, cant find it, maybe someone can help me....

I took about 6 cuttings 2 weeks ago and they are all rooting really nice except 2, which the main stem has now turned a dark purple.... the leaves are a little bit wilted. :holysheep:

why?

thanks for your time, you guys have been so very helpful these past few months, just amazingly helpful.:cool:

Ilikebigbuds said:
I have been looking for a thread that had mentioned purple stems, cant find it, maybe someone can help me....

I took about 6 cuttings 2 weeks ago and they are all rooting really nice except 2, which the main stem has now turned a dark purple.... the leaves are a little bit wilted. :holysheep:

why?

thanks for your time, you guys have been so very helpful these past few months, just amazingly helpful.:cool:

I've experienced it from both N and P deff's. or a combination of both. Cold temps inhibit their ability to utilize the nutes, resulting in defficiency 'symptoms'.
If I read/interpretted correctly, only the 2 'unrooted' cuts are turning?
My only suggestio would be a light foliar feeding w/ a bloom fert'. Bloom because.. "IMHO" ... you want to avoid hi N because it inhibits rooting.

actually, when I took cuttings I did like all you suggested and used a rooting powder. I just put nuits in yesterday, for all the new growth was a bit yellow, so ppm is at 100 right now.

it was just those 2, the others all have great roots coming from the bottom of the net pots. it so amazing how fast they developed!

they looked so good I put them in their own home (areo bucket) yesterday and they are doing great today. I left the 2 so mo's in the dripper, hoping they will come around.

I thought if i knew what went wrong with them I could prevent such a thing from happening in the future.

the temps are about 77 with lights on and drop to about 70 at night.

thanks for your time.

To echo Growdude's and Hick's posts, my understanding is that this may be related to three issues:

1) Some strains do have purple stems
2) You have a potassium deficiency
3) You have enough potassium, but climate or soil conditions are keeping your plants from absorbing it.

A foliar spray may help in the third case.

Latest posts

Back