Mandala Satori in Hempy Buckets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi art, i know im kinda late, but i would like to follow your journal. i heard many great reviews on these wonderful seeds. i'll be watching! [=

Hahah i wish! i soaked 5 satori and 1 g13-QSilve in 10ml of ph6.2 tap water with chlorine conditioner/remover, and maybe .001ml of root stimulator N/P/hormone fert(so little i just dipped a wet tube in it. trying out the urban legend of N levels producing fems). these re

i kept it on my hood for 24hrs when the QS split a root and was planted in reused Promix MZ microfungal inoculated dirt with about 1c added perlite per gallon of dirt and some basic mixed in nutes that have mostly been washed out in the prior grow. i placed the unsplit satori beans in paper towel in a sealable petri dish and placed it atop the hood again. about a day and a half later(2 days at this point without the satoris even cracking) most split then within 8hrs all were split and planted in the same promix in 2x2 pots. i then watered with conditioned water at about pH6.

Unfortunatley, when i watered 1 seed was washed above the dirt which i didnt see. i saw this the next day and it was bone dry. i soaked it for about 8hrs then replanted it. while doing this i saw that one was growing it's taproot upwards???(it had the longest taproot out of the bunch before i planted and it seemed to have rolled over when planting). so i flipped this seed around as well. stupidly, the next time i watered the first seed washed up again but was easily poked back down so it is actually about 1.5in but is now pulling strong.

they are in 12/12 under a 1000w HPS conversion on a MH ballast with 5x3gal flowering experiments(2 fimm scrog pots, 1 spear and one lollipop and 11 flowering clones. so its a bit cramped but they are working along.

The g13 QS did the oddest thing. it grew the normal set of single fingered leaves, then the next set was 1 perfect 5 finger fan leaf on each side.. as it's first leaf. so cool. the Satori are about the same hight at the g13 but has slightly thicker stems and the proto-leaves are about 50% larger than the dwarf's. at this point the 3rd set is looking about a half inch by morning.

i gave them a minute amount of root stim nute/hormone once, and a heavy pk for rooting once also. the rest of the waterings have been water. i only give them about 5-15ml every 3 days or so when they dry out.

When do you guys think i should take clones off them? I plan to mother every female i get how about you OP? i wouldn't mind if half the clones turned male if it meant half would be ready to flower a couple weeks behind where the mothers should have.

im considering cloning a male and dwarfing it via shading and a small pot then planting it outside to save some satori pollen for a later cross. i need to come up with a HID light for the mothers. atm im running a carbon copy style perpetual clone.

Lotek, my G13 NL or Durban Poison ( i forget which one because they were run at the same time) did that same thing...didn't show the three but showed five instead. This was after the single fingered leaves of course...the plant was no different than any other plant besides that feature though.

Also, you might want to water those seedlings a little slower to prevent the beans from being flushed out. Just pour a little slower to prevent damage to their roots.

Other than that it sounds like you got everything covered. Good job.

You too Art, looking good.

:) It's 93 degrees outside and 101 in my grow box :).

I told you at the outset - it's either grow or no grow down here this time of year. Let's go tropical satori! By the way, GG, the plants have grown an inch in 2 days :)

Art, have you ever tried hippy A/C? Freeze a couple large yogurt containers full of water. Place the hunks in a bowl in front of a fan aimed at your grow. Keep freezing new hunks and pray your temps go down a smidge. GREEN MOJO for your efforts.

ArtVandolay said:
Thanks GG. Here they are at 7 days. As you can see, 2 are having trouble shedding their husks. I poked at them a little and couldn't get them off. The other 2 are on their 3rd set of leaves.

Questions for the Experts:

- about when would you start giving them some nutes?

- do you think the 2 runts will come around or should I sprout 2 more?

View attachment 115811

The runts will catch up. Im in love with the Hempy! I will never use soil again.
Now...Im assuming youwant as many plants as possible in your small grow area?
I took a walk thru Walmart yesterday, in the containers section, and came upon some tall but narrow 2 gallonn containers made for storing a large quantity of cereal or flour or whatever. Because they are TALL but only about four inches wide, they naturally take up little space in a cabinet.
So, I bought two of them, came home and spray painted them with a coat of dark green to stop light and another coat of white to reflect light/heat. I drilled a half inch hole in them two inches abouve the bottom. This give me the potential of putting two plants in the same or less space than one 2 gal "bucket". IF I could get my photos to upload Id LOVE to show a pic...but Im still undable to get my damn pics to the gallery.

Anyway, check out the container aisle at Walmart--

Lass

umbra said:
hey art,

those hempy buckets gonna rock. my local hydro guy is selling some on ebay for $50 a pop.lol low tech cutting edge, yeah. you doin' coco or something else?

I know you're not asking me, but I talk about Hempy every chance I get!
Im using perlite and vermiculite. I start seeds in Jiffy pellets, then seedling in a hempy 12 oz cup then move them to a hempy 2 liter soda bottle until ready to flower. Then into these cool 2 gallon, tall but narrow plastic containers I found at Walmart.

Just to see if it would work, I made a Hempy out of a black rubbermaid tub about 16 X 14 and 9 or 10 inches deep. I drilled my hole, added the perlite/verm and popped four plants in--one in each corner. Those little suckers grew to 14-16 inches from seedlings in five weeks.
Sadly, my HPS only has so much room under it and every inch is crammed with White Widow starting the third week of flowering. So...the Hempy Tub was on the deck. The plants simply got too big to be easily hidden, so I had to dump them.

Still, the experiment proved that you can put four plants in one Hempy container without stunting their growth.

In my mind, the implications of this are huge. I mean...it's the containers that take up so much space, not the plants! So...next grow I may take two tubs, four plants in each and try to go from veg thru flower. May have to trim for single cola, but my WW's seem to be kinda tall and narrow by nature with not much side branching, anyway.

Six plants in 2 gal pots is the best I can do with soil and my one 600 w HPS. 8 plants in Hempy Tubs sounds like a way better thing.

Man, I love them HEMPYS!

Lass

420benny said:
Art, have you ever tried hippy A/C? Freeze a couple large yogurt containers full of water. Place the hunks in a bowl in front of a fan aimed at your grow. Keep freezing new hunks and pray your temps go down a smidge. GREEN MOJO for your efforts.

The Hemp Goddess said:
You do not need an HID for mothers. In fact, IMO, you will be better off with fluoros of some kind for mom.

LassChance said:

Still, the experiment proved that you can put four plants in one Hempy container without stunting their growth.

In my mind, the implications of this are huge. I mean...it's the containers that take up so much space, not the plants! So...next grow I may take two tubs, four plants in each and try to go from veg thru flower. May have to trim for single cola, but my WW's seem to be kinda tall and narrow by nature with not much side branching, anyway.

Six plants in 2 gal pots is the best I can do with soil and my one 600 w HPS. 8 plants in Hempy Tubs sounds like a way better thing.

Much to think about here, thanks everyone!

420benny - I'm thinking about it :rolleyes:. That's a lot of ice 18 hours/day :).

Good point, as usual, THG :). My CFL hood isn't going to run appreciably cooler, based on my 1st growing experience with CFLs last summer.

LassChance- that's a real interesting idea. One big tub the size of the grow area, no wasted space :eek:. The tall, skinny pots - well, a few questions. It would clearly take more time for the roots to grow further down to hit the res plus I wonder if the res is big enough with just 2 inches :confused:. I'm obviously very new to this, but I'd be inclined to drill a hole 4 inches from the bottom to get a bigger res. But I like your single big res idea a lot more :)

Question - LassChance - have you tried hydroton for a grow medium? When I picture my buckets full of (very) light perlite/vermiculite, I wonder whether it's "solid" enough to hold the rockwool/plant up, especially as the plant grows.

Here we are at 28 days:

Sat 28 days (640 x 480).jpgSat 28 days (a) (640 x 480).jpgSat 28 days (b) (640 x 480).jpgSat 28 days (c) (640 x 480).jpgSat 28 days (d) (640 x 480).jpg

I assigned everyone a number. The last 6 days they've been receiving 2.5 ml of each in 1 gallon. Number 3 there is 8 inches high and #2 is 6.5 inches high :). The runts look good, too :). Number 3 is looking so good I bet it will turn out male.

It's hard not to be a hempy bucket fan at this point :D.

Temps in the box hit 101 three times (at noon/lights out) in the past 7 days. It's been very hot here lately.

yeah everyones dealing with those temps lately.
looking great though art. very nice and green
so the passive hydros working out for you huh?
im more concidering doing this now, because im sure its
MUCH easier to flush them rather than in soil. Its a pain in the
bunyons flushing all of my plants in 4 gallon pots.. i tell ya.
:ciao:

yep those darn pesky temps keep creeping in on all our grows.
Luckily wether has been very mild in my neck of the woods so far this year.
Much more rain than normal, and much cooler temps.
But temps are expected to creep back toward the 100f mark within the next week.
Plants are looking real nice though, green mojo for some females!

thedonofchronic said:
sure its
MUCH easier to flush them rather than in soil. Its a pain in the
bunyons flushing all of my plants in 4 gallon pots.. i tell ya.
:ciao:

hey don i wouldnt even worry about flushing in a hempy cause youre watering them every day its like flushing every water. unless some low end nutes are being used. JMO. ive done this style w/ coco & didnt flush @ end & all was well. used F.F. & alot of teas.

Looks awesome Art. That #4 runt is really coming along huh? They should all really start taking off now, looks like #3 already is. I still can't believe your temps- but even mine are starting to get a little hot. Well keep on keepin' on :headbang:

docfishwrinkle said:
hey don i wouldnt even worry about flushing in a hempy cause youre watering them every day its like flushing every water. unless some low end nutes are being used. JMO. ive done this style w/ coco & didnt flush @ end & all was well. used F.F. & alot of teas.

Yeah exactly- no need to flush. Once they get bigger they will use up all the nutrients/water in the res each day- so basically you are giving them fresh water/nutrients every time you water. The only time you need to flush is when you are having some nute/salt problem.

GrowinGreen said:
Looks awesome Art. That #4 runt is really coming along huh? They should all really start taking off now, looks like #3 already is. I still can't believe your temps- but even mine are starting to get a little hot. Well keep on keepin' on :headbang:

Thanks, GG :). We'll just call it the "tropical temp test" on satori :). #3 looks really nice and has 2 clone candidates down toward the bottom. Otherwise, that's all the side branching I see on any of them. No signs of alternate nodes.

My grow space is 59 " high. The hempy buckets are 10 " high and I need another 12 inches total for the HPS (including the distance between the plants and the light). That leaves 36" for the plants.

The #3 plant is going to reach 12" high today or tomorrow, so if they're going to triple during flower I should start flowering pretty soon. If they're going to double, there's a little more time but probably less than a week. I really want single cola plants.

What would you do? :confused:

Also, what do you think about trimming all the lower growth except fan leaves? Or trim lower fans, too?

Hey Art- are you flowering them in the room they are vegging in? Because if you are flowering somewhere else you could always move them each over as you think they are ready. But if you are flowering in the same room you might just flip it over to flower now. I know if you flip to flower when they are younger they usually grow single cola.

And I think trimming the lower growth that won't get any light is a good idea. I didn't do it to any of the plants I have in flower now, but I will on my next ones. The little buds down there just aren't worth it.

Latest posts

Back