melted spot on light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FATBOY

Reaction score
I have an mh400 and my bulb has a melted spot or possibly a hole and is still working is this bad

That's a damn good question to which i have no answer. It might just be a defect in the bulb itself because i don't think it would wrok with a hole in it. ;)

the spot is right up toward the metal at the socket

Metal halide (MH) lamps consist of an arc tube (also called a discharge tube or "burner") within an outer envelope, or bulb. The arc tube may be made of either quartz or ceramic and contains a starting gas (usually argon), mercury, and MH salts. Traditional quartz MH arc tubes are similar in shape to mercury vapor (MV) arc tubes, but they operate at higher temperatures and pressures.

MH lamps start when their ballast supplies a high starting voltage higher than those normally supplied to the lamp electrodes through a gas mixture in the arc tube. The gas in the MH arc tube must be ionized before current can flow and start the lamp. In addition to supplying the correct starting voltage, the ballast also regulates the lamp starting current and lamp operating current.

As pressure and temperature increase, the materials within the arc tube vaporize and emit light and ultraviolet (UV) radiation. A bulb (also called "outer jacket" or "outer envelope"), usually made of borosilicate glass, provides a stable thermal environment for the arc tube, contains an inert atmosphere that keeps the components of the arc tube from oxidizing at high temperatures, and reduces the amount of UV radiation that the lamp emits. Some MH lamps have a coated finish on the inside of the bulb that diffuses the light. Often a phosphor coat is used to both diffuse the light and change the lamp's color properties.

If you have a burn 'hole' the gas would escape and the bulb will not 'fire'.

What you have is just a heat burn discolouration :)

FATBOY said:
I have an mh400 and my bulb has a melted spot or possibly a hole and is still working is this bad

if you havent used it yet, try and return it, otherwise, just hope the hole doesnt break thru. light will fail if it does. probably just a molding mark. :aok:

Latest posts

Back