molasses question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New_2_Chronic

Gone Baby Gone
Reaction score
I have a question regarding molasses. If I am growing a particular strain with a unique taste would the use of molasses change that taste? I dont want to use it if it alters the taste that was meant to be there.....

I heard it does, but I've never tried it, was thinking about it this grow, :). Compare two plants.

I found that using molasses adds at least 20% more weight and I didn't notice much change in taste (it just tastes more of a full flavour) but deffinately not a bad taste at all. The only way I can explain it is it's like canna boost or any good boost accellerator. Molasses is the way forward imo...

No not another debate.

Thanks for the links, ive looked at them, none of them address my original question....

Does the use of molasses alter the intended taste of the bud?

The reason im asking is I am growing a strain that has a very unique taste and it is something people rave about this strain, as well as the high. I want to use molasses but if it makes the buds sweeter im wandering what it would do to the Spicy Flavor this strain is supposed to have....

New_2_Chronic said:
No not another debate.

Thanks for the links, ive looked at them, none of them address my original question....

Does the use of molasses alter the intended taste of the bud?

The reason im asking is I am growing a strain that has a very unique taste and it is something people rave about this strain, as well as the high. I want to use molasses but if it makes the buds sweeter im wandering what it would do to the Spicy Flavor this strain is supposed to have....

i myself read all the way thru where there was a extensive debate on this molasses thing and the conclusion was in it it that technichally speaking does not alter flavor but is said to increase the weight by 20% like said^^^ just read them links thru you'll find plenty enough to satisfy any ? on the mollasses thing im almost sure of it just from wat i found in em

hmmm...interesting,,, You sure we are reading the same links.

The links i looked at dealt with the fundamental questions regarding the use, or non, use of mollasses. I also read about extensive information about it making it easier for your plants to accept nutes with the use of molasses, about adding weight to the budz, and some about it sweetening the tast of the budz.

Im directing the question to people who have actually used molasses and can attest to it either changing the flavor, or not. I am not really interested in what people "Heard" or "Read" in regards to it....

The reason I really bought this strain was for the unique flavor. I want to use whatever I can to benefit my plants but not at the expense of the actual reason for purchasing the strain....

Let me see if I have this right....

On my last hydro grow, I got 18 ounces of cured weed.

If I had used molasses also, I would have had 3.6 ounces more cured weed? (3.6 is 20% of 18)

Does anyone have any cites at all to back that increased weight up, or is this another anecdotal story?

Please, someone show me a cite of some sort of test that proves this claim other than "I had a buddy who knew a guy who had a friend whose brothers second cousins nephews next door neighbors sister in law did it".

A simple side by side grow of the same strain using the same variables will suffice if it shows a 20% increase in cured weight.

Thanks,

Stoney.

i'll let u know in couple months come harvest i picked out 3 girls to try theis on and started them on the treatment last feeding few days ago. i also have others i havent nor am i givin this to just so i myself can compare for real first hand... tis best i can offer i guesss. other than that im probly worthless on the mater so i'll wait n see if anyone has done any comparisons so say on ithis as well

Plants can't absorb sugars in their natural form. The sugars are actually being used by microorganisims bacteria and fungi within the plants root system as fuel. Plants can only absorb nutrients and what not in there molecular form (that might be the wrong word.). This is why the idea of organic and chemical growing are laughable. I'm not talking about pesticides but chemical nutrients. If you grow organically you need microorganisms and bacteria and fungi to break the organic components into their molecular form so that the plant can use them (this is why using tap water with chlorine in it is so bad for organic grows). So what I am saying is that molasses as it is is useless to the plant and until it has been broken down into its molecular parts for the plant to use it will not be taken up by the plant. It may increase flavour in the plant but only because the plant itself is healthier and happier. So I can't see how it would affect or sweeten your plants final flavour.

Tater said:
Plants can't absorb sugars in their natural form. The sugars are actually being used by microorganisims bacteria and fungi within the plants root system as fuel. Plants can only absorb nutrients and what not in there molecular form (that might be the wrong word.). This is why the idea of organic and chemical growing are laughable. I'm not talking about pesticides but chemical nutrients. If you grow organically you need microorganisms and bacteria and fungi to break the organic components into their molecular form so that the plant can use them (this is why using tap water with chlorine in it is so bad for organic grows). So what I am saying is that molasses as it is is useless to the plant and until it has been broken down into its molecular parts for the plant to use it will not be taken up by the plant. It may increase flavour in the plant but only because the plant itself is healthier and happier. So I can't see how it would affect or sweeten your plants final flavour.
thats honestly wat i was thinkin of to say. really i remembered the same explanation and reading it and it makin sense to me... dont recall which specific thread tho

Tater said:
Plants can't absorb sugars in their natural form.
Until a week ago, I would have agreed with you, Tater. However, it was proven to me that plants are capable of sucrose uptake if the proper environmental controls are used.

That book has already been closed.

Sorry man.

I ate a lot of humble pie after that discussion.

and the debate begins once again lol :) jokin

thanks Tater.... That is a hydro and im in soil....

Anyone done a side by side in soil with a molasses regimen??

Tater said:
Here's an example of a grow done side by side with the only variable changed is adding molasses in its raw form to the reservoir.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29777

See how well it turned out :p

The above is also a classic example of what will happen if you don't do your research.

Actually, that example is great to show someone that using the proper amount of molasses is necessary.

He obviously used WAY too much.

Had he used the proper amount, it wouldn't have caused the problems he had.

Oh great.... I honestly didnt want to open this pandoras box but just didnt want to mess up the flavor of my bud....

I think that Grow dude can add this link to his list....:p

Some Master Gardeners suggest using the following amounts of molasses, depending on what task you expect it to do: (There are about a thousand variations of these amounts...)

As a nutrient additive: 5ml per/gallon of water.

As a soil additive: 15ml per/gallon

As a foliar spray: 1 ounce per/gallon

I've never used the stuff for growing, so I can't vouch for the validity of the claim from personal experience.

I use molasses on pancakes.....goes great with milk.

Got weed? hehe

Until a week ago, I would have agreed with you, Tater. However, it was proven to me that plants are capable of sucrose uptake if the proper environmental controls are used.

Must have missed that thread or link or wherever you got served your humble pie lol. Could you post a link so that I may go and educate myself.

Latest posts

Back