New LED's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ross

Reaction score
Im sure most of you have heard of the LED UFO that is supposed to rival the 400 HPS, but i found out today that there is a 270W that is supposed to rival the 1000W HPS, so i was considering getting it because i did the math and it would actually be cheaper than going with the 1000W HPS after considering a year's electricity, has anyone used this light or heard good things?

if it does rival a 1000wt hps wich i very much doubt please let me know lol

hxxp://www.hidhut.com/catalog/led-supernova-270w-led-array-standard-spectrum-p-1758.html

ross said:
Im sure most of you have heard of the LED UFO that is supposed to rival the 400 HPS, but i found out today that there is a 270W that is supposed to rival the 1000W HPS, so i was considering getting it because i did the math and it would actually be cheaper than going with the 1000W HPS after considering a year's electricity, has anyone used this light or heard good things?
Lol, well you can say all you want but for that price i could buy 3-4 1000 watt lights with reflector hoods for $999.99 bucks man thats a rip! :eek:

Ross, it's important to note that on that web page it states that in order to get the full spectrum of light necessary for maximum flower development, you need to purchase the upgraded Enhanced spectrum model. Plus, it may or may not put out more light than a 1000 watt HID, but it only lights a 5'x5' area. The average 400 watt HID will light a 5'x5' area as well.

If the led lights are really as good as the site says they are, then one day more people will start using them and the price will go down. I'd wait for the price to go down before trying that out. It does sound like a nice light though.

How many actual led's does it take to get that effect? i mean can you diy? i had daisy chained some led's and it worked but how many are in those lights?
I went to a site that sells them for under a dollar a piece if anyones interested.
hxxp://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=LEDS

the only reason i am considering them is because of the thousand watts of lighting i would have that would increase my bill by about 40%

Alistair Young said:
Ross, it's important to note that on that web page it states that in order to get the full spectrum of light necessary for maximum flower development, you need to purchase the upgraded Enhanced spectrum model. Plus, it may or may not put out more light than a 1000 watt HID, but it only lights a 5'x5' area. The average 400 watt HID will light a 5'x5' area as well.

If the led lights are really as good as the site says they are, then one day more people will start using them and the price will go down. I'd wait for the price to go down before trying that out. It does sound like a nice light though.
400 w hps = 50,000 L
5x5=25 sq/ft
50k into 25 sq.ft = 2,000 L per sq/ft
or less than half what is recommended as 'optimal'...and only 2/3 of what is recommended as "minimum". (3,000 L. p/sq.ft.)

ross said:

IMO, this is just sales hype. No, actually it is worse than that--it is really just not true. I have yet to see an LED grow that came anywhere close to what a HPS can produce. Although LED technology may get there someday--they are not there yet. And I don't even think they are close.

The bottom line is that there is no other light that produces like a HPS. If you do not feel like you can afford to run a 1000W (but you can afford to spend $1000 on a light :confused:), get a 250W or a 400W and size your grow space accordingly. My 1000W and all the fans costs me less than $30 a month when I am running it 12/12. and in the winter, the heat from the light is directed back into living space, so some of the energy is recaptured.

i would be using a 400W MH and a 600W HPS for 1000W total, i'm not considering using a 1000W HPS.

I actually did an experiment with LEDs, cfl, and T5 fluoros. Used clones in soil, so are factor were as equal as possible. All worked. Leds had the shortest internode spacing as well as the smallest plants, also less developed when it was time to flower. Cfl did ok. But T5 won hands down. Still use the T5's instead of of MH. HPS for flowering all the way. I still believe that for some type of supplemental lighting they are worthwhile. Just my 2 cents

i did the math and after considering i wouldnt need a hood or extra cooling fan and the electricity for a year, going with the LED's would be cheaper than MH/HPS. but it sounds too risky with all these negative comments about them.

umbra said:
I actually did an experiment with LEDs, cfl, and T5 fluoros. Used clones in soil, so are factor were as equal as possible. All worked. Leds had the shortest internode spacing as well as the smallest plants, also less developed when it was time to flower. Cfl did ok. But T5 won hands down. Still use the T5's instead of of MH. HPS for flowering all the way. I still believe that for some type of supplemental lighting they are worthwhile. Just my 2 cents

I agree--the T5s work well for veg. I have a 250W and a 400W MH that I do not use anymore (unless I need the heat that they provide). And a HPS for flowering. That is my 2 cents worth, too (so now is it our 4 cents worth? :rolleyes:)

Only thing I veg under is 4ft Floro 2 bulb shoplights.... 40 watts a bulb...stick a couple side by side... can use a variety of bulbs for different Kelvins...

Flower under HPS all the way though

ross said:
i did the math and after considering i wouldnt need a hood or extra cooling fan and the electricity for a year, going with the LED's would be cheaper than MH/HPS. but it sounds too risky with all these negative comments about them.

Do you wanna save money or grow bud? If I dont have weed I buy it, the money wasted on buying weed has paid for all my equipment many times over.

LED's are for FRIGGING FLASHLIGHTS!!!!!! :hitchair: :doh: :shocked: :angrywife: :hairpull: :chuck: :chuck: :chuck: :chuck: :chuck:

ross said:
the only reason i am considering them is because of the thousand watts of lighting i would have that would increase my bill by about 40%
no it wont your crazy i run mine 18 hours a day with the ballest and i have about a 20-40 dollar increase, it doesnt take as much as you think and if you thinkg 20-40 dollars is a lot then you would be spending a lot more for something you dont need just get a 1000 watt hps/mh/ballest, all for cheaper then the LED, and it wouldnt cost as much as you think for the cost of running, people are all talk it doesnt cost that much at all.
good luck

whiterussian said:
no it wont your crazy i run mine 18 hours a day with the ballest and i have about a 20-40 dollar increase, it doesnt take as much as you think and if you thinkg 20-40 dollars is a lot then you would be spending a lot more for something you dont need just get a 1000 watt hps/mh/ballest, all for cheaper then the LED, and it wouldnt cost as much as you think for the cost of running, people are all talk it doesnt cost that much at all.
good luck

Maybe he meant 40% more than the LED'S

1000 watt light is easy to figure, every hour its on is a killowatt hour, check your bill to see what you are being charged per killowatt hour.

my last bill was a little under 1000 KWH, a 400W HPS @ 18/6 = 216 KWH, a 600W @ 12/12 = 216 KWH, so 432 KWH total, that's over a 40% power increase, not to mention fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back