New LED's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirt people could not accept Hydroponics back in the day, Well, I am pretty sure all accept the fact that Hydro, Aero and ebb & flow are legit. Same I head when T5 and Fluros, NO WAY.. we all know that outcome. LEDs work, so much so I import them for sale. (no, no sales pitches) you will obviously never know who I am as a business.... I use both and I have just went into my first week of flowering on my second grow after some 35 years, as the last kid moved 18 months ago to college and I can be a kid again and not a responsible dad LOL....

CallMeAFool2 said:
Dirt people could not accept Hydroponics back in the day, Well, I am pretty sure all accept the fact that Hydro, Aero and ebb & flow are legit. Same I head when T5 and Fluros, NO WAY.. we all know that outcome. LEDs work, so much so I import them for sale. (no, no sales pitches) you will obviously never know who I am as a business.... I use both and I have just went into my first week of flowering on my second grow after some 35 years, as the last kid moved 18 months ago to college and I can be a kid again and not a responsible dad LOL....

Well I'm hoping to see some big buds here.

no one is saying LED's dont work, it's just a matter of how well. maybe LED's dont work as well as they should theoretically because the lights are in their infancy.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I agree--the T5s work well for veg. I have a 250W and a 400W MH that I do not use anymore (unless I need the heat that they provide). And a HPS for flowering. That is my 2 cents worth, too (so now is it our 4 cents worth? :rolleyes:)
feel like coming off with one of those? hhahaha:p

if i'm going to be flowering with a 600W HPS how many 4' t5's would i want for veg, 6 or 8?

I use to veg under a 400 w mh and flower 8-12 plants under 3 600w hps. I now veg under four 54w fluoro 6500k and it has totally outperformed the 400 w mh with about half the watts. Maybe my 400 w bulb was old or somehting but it was a huge difference. They just looked way way happier vegging under the flouro.
If I had another spare room I would try some led setups but i just dont have the space right now. I think im gonna get my buddy to try it since he has the space and Ill write up a thread. Sorry I know my post didnt really help but I will try to do a comparison side by side with clonesat the same size so onlyy variable will be lighting.

It is sad that old time growers, like the Hemp Goddess, who seems very very respectful and knowledgeable simple is wrong.

It is a FACT, that 80% as much as 82% of an HPS light DOES NOTHING for plants, NOTHING, it is science, not a myth. LED lights do work, if you have real lights and not crap copies. Lights with BridgeLux/Cree chipsets and the proper Hi Intensity LEDs. I am almost fearful into make this comment about such a trusted source as her and others, but I have only being growing my weed again for 18 months, but have been growing indoor gardens for years. I cannot speak for what she or others used, but I can assure you they work and I am going to post the pictures in time to prove it. THERE IS ALLOT OF JUNK OUT THERE. HTG Supply sells real and crap LEDs, you just cannot put a panel together with LEDs on them, right ones or not and not have the rest of the circuitry that pushes them

I too went away from MH two years or less ago for vegging. The WATTAGE, THE LUMES (which is all **, light makers tell you the overall LUMES and most we can see and most of that a plant cannot even use. Brighter does not mean better period). i am a novice with weed, I am not a novice with Lettuce, Maters, Okra, beans, Grape tomato's I fruit all year long and love them. herbs and spices for my wife. I use Pioneer VI 4 footers and all BLUE LED UFO 90s to do all my vegging anymore. Why they like it, is you are providing what they want, not blinding them with what they cannot use. I was as skeptical as most, someone had to GIVE me a 1st generation UFO to even get me to think about it. I was wrong and I admit it. growing is so subjective, there are good and not so good results from cycle to cycle no matter what you use and if you do not understand how to use ANY Light, have we all not learned with each grow how to do it different the next time, I surely have for years. I am not in love with LED, I am however sure real grow lights of LED work and work well, with all but no heat, no need for ducts blowers, fans and all the stuff you buy to make it all go together. The price of a plug up and use for 8-10 years from enviornmental chamber testing to excelerate life spans, anyone who thinks they can buy ballasts, lights, reflectors, blowers, chillers, duct work and a UFO cost more, really do not remember what you have spent. If all you have is a closet and you hung some mylar and do it in the dirt, it will take you a little longer to see the savings. Off my soap box, I am not here to defend LEDs, just give you my experience. I sell them all, please do keep buying the traditional stuff, i am sitting on 100K worth of it HA HA.....LOL

I do not have 15 posts, so I cannot put in the pictures I uploaded to the LIghts forum, go there to see subject LED UFO DO THEY WORK

CallMeAFool2 said:
It is sad that old time growers, like the Hemp Goddess, who seems very very respectful and knowledgeable simple is wrong.

It is a FACT, that 80% as much as 82% of an HPS light DOES NOTHING for plants, NOTHING, it is science, not a myth. LED lights do work, if you have real lights and not crap copies. Lights with BridgeLux/Cree chipsets and the proper Hi Intensity LEDs. I am almost fearful into make this comment about such a trusted source as her and others, but I have only being growing my weed again for 18 months, but have been growing indoor gardens for years. I cannot speak for what she or others used, but I can assure you they work and I am going to post the pictures in time to prove it. THERE IS ALLOT OF JUNK OUT THERE. HTG Supply sells real and crap LEDs, you just cannot put a panel together with LEDs on them, right ones or not and not have the rest of the circuitry that pushes them

I too went away from MH two years or less ago for vegging. The WATTAGE, THE LUMES (which is all **, light makers tell you the overall LUMES and most we can see and most of that a plant cannot even use. Brighter does not mean better period). i am a novice with weed, I am not a novice with Lettuce, Maters, Okra, beans, Grape tomato's I fruit all year long and love them. herbs and spices for my wife. I use Pioneer VI 4 footers and all BLUE LED UFO 90s to do all my vegging anymore. Why they like it, is you are providing what they want, not blinding them with what they cannot use. I was as skeptical as most, someone had to GIVE me a 1st generation UFO to even get me to think about it. I was wrong and I admit it. growing is so subjective, there are good and not so good results from cycle to cycle no matter what you use and if you do not understand how to use ANY Light, have we all not learned with each grow how to do it different the next time, I surely have for years. I am not in love with LED, I am however sure real grow lights of LED work and work well, with all but no heat, no need for ducts blowers, fans and all the stuff you buy to make it all go together. The price of a plug up and use for 8-10 years from enviornmental chamber testing to excelerate life spans, anyone who thinks they can buy ballasts, lights, reflectors, blowers, chillers, duct work and a UFO cost more, really do not remember what you have spent. If all you have is a closet and you hung some mylar and do it in the dirt, it will take you a little longer to see the savings. Off my soap box, I am not here to defend LEDs, just give you my experience. I sell them all, please do keep buying the traditional stuff, i am sitting on 100K worth of it HA HA.....LOL

82% of the light is lost? Where did you get that info? Can you please post that for us to see please. :rolleyes:

I cannot post URLs as I do not have 15 Posts, just go read, search out in google, you will find all you need about HPS lights. I will cut and paste it here, but anyone can type anything, so please just do some SCIENCE research about LED, HPS lighting.

-----------------------------------------
LUMENS AND GROW LIGHTS
Carl Sagan made an interesting point when he said, ” We live in a society exquisitely dependant on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.” In the world of lighting- this is most evident in the use of lumens as a standard for measuring the output of grow lighting. We’re talking about measuring light in relation to a candle’s flame. As defined by Wikipedia: “The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the perceived power of light.” Lumens and Lux, by definition, are used to measure how bright a light source appears to the human eye- or what we perceive as bright. Although it has become common-place for grow light manufacturers to rate their grow light output in Lumens, they are only telling you how bright their light will appear to you and light your room, not how well it will grow your plants. Since the human eye is most sensitive to colors plants don’t need, and least sensitive to colors plants prefer, Lumens can’t be used to accurately compare the plant growing capability of grow lights. Light comes in many colors, or wavelengths. To the human eye, the colors green and yellow appear much brighter than the colors red and blue which are the primary colors used by plants for photosynthesis. HID, incandescent, and fluorescent lighting were all originally designed to light rooms. The manufacturers took these bulbs and added bits of impurities to get more of the colors that plants need and labeled them “grow lights”. As much as 82% of the light coming out of these traditional light sources is not absorbed by plants or is in the form of UV, or IR (heat). HID lighting can reach temperatures of over fourteen hundred degrees Fahrenheit at the bulbs surface. This excess heat is then ventilated and directly translates into wasted energy that is included in a lumen rating. In 2002, the engineers at Solar Oasis introduced the world’s first patented LED grow light. LEDs offered a unique opportunity to the designers. Instead of starting with an existing lamp designed to light rooms for people- the LED grow lamp designer can select LEDs that generate exactly the colors of light needed to target wavelengths that are needed for plant growth. Designers are able to add as many colors as they would like and add them in their proper proportion. Finally, the individual LEDs can be arranged in whatever pattern desired to create the final lamp design. By leaving out colors of light that are useful for human vision but not useful for plant growth, incredible levels of efficiency are attained in comparison to other types of grow lights. With this modern lighting- comes modern measurement. A typical grow light produces light wavelengths from 380nm (UV), up to and beyond 880nm (IR). Plants use light wavelengths from 400nm (blue) to 700nm (red). The most accurate unit of measurement for comparing grow lights is the micro Einstein, which measures how many photons of light strike an area per second. Using the micro Einstein we are able to measure how much useable light is emitted (aka wavelengths that fall between 400-700nm). But, while this is a much better way to estimate a lamp’s plant growing ability than Lumens or Lux, it is still very difficult to directly compare two different types of grow lights. All grow lights except the LED Grow Master grow light emit large amounts of light plants don’t use very efficiently, so including that light output in a light’s plant growing measurement is misleading. To those of you that feel like this is all Greek, an analogy… What is now called an inch was originally the width of a man’s thumb. The word carat comes from the weight standard for precious metals of the olden days- the carob bean. We promise not to send you bar measurements in thumb widths, or the weight in carob bean. Along these same lines, we do not measure our output in lumens. We understand the need for, and beauty, of accurate measurement. Human View

And call me a fool has the perfect name to match his post. dude no disrespect but if you did any research on actual output, HPS blows LED'S out of the WATER. SCIENTIFIC proof may say that hps puts out 82% wasted light, if thats true, that sucks. But LEDS do nothing for plants. Nothing. If a T5 can grow a plant better, then there is something seriously wrong (not to say that T5's are a bad light source).

Its not about scientific research, its about proven experiments. The LEDS may put out the exact spectrum of light neccesary for growth, but they do not put out NEARLY enough. Again, thats why everyone here uses HPS as opposed to LED's, because they DONT WORK like an HPS does.

actually LEDs are suppose to be cheaper but since there a new technology there over pricing them New Car lights are actually using LED technology ;)

pimpdaddycoolz said:
Its not about scientific research, its about proven experiments. The LEDS may put out the exact spectrum of light neccesary for growth, but they do not put out NEARLY enough. Again, thats why everyone here uses HPS as opposed to LED's, because they DONT WORK like an HPS does.

I have NEVER heard a more worthless ignorant comment as that!!! You probabaly never even seen an LED or a UFO. You want two good examples of LED growth...

1) My grow journal (link below)
2) http://www.greenpinelane.com/ufo_light_test.aspx (tomato's journal)

I am tired of worthless second hand garbage hear say information like that!! From now on you should start ALL your posts with a truthfull comment: "I once knew a guy who had a friend that was told by his brother that he overheard a lady tell her neighbor that she knew a worker that told her....."

I searched the forum...I dont see any "scientific research" or "proven experiments" with your name on them...

Yes...you hit a nerve....

NO..I am not sorry...

pimpdaddycoolz said:
Hahaha i asked the guy at the hydro shop one time about these...

i quote "I wont sell that Sh*t in my shop! That's ripping off my customers!"

I wonder what his profit margin for HID's was and how it compared to the LED's!!! He makes more money of the initial sale of the HID ballast, than bulb, than spare bulb, than hood, extra fans, cooling system.... 6 months later your back for some new bulbs and to replace the burnt out ascolating fan....2 years later your igniter is out in your ballast..youll need a new one...

Ofcourse he wont sell LED's...He'll loose too much money!

Hey Pimpdaddy.....I got a car I want to sell you...You can trust me. I work behind the counter...

Hey, we will have no flaming here. There is no reason to call others "ignorant". The debate over HIDs, LEDs, and fluoros will continue. And it is just that, a debate.

So, everyone just load a bowl, sit back, and relax.

CallMeAFool2 said:
I cannot post URLs as I do not have 15 Posts, just go read, search out in google, you will find all you need about HPS lights. I will cut and paste it here, but anyone can type anything, so please just do some SCIENCE research about LED, HPS lighting.

-----------------------------------------
LUMENS AND GROW LIGHTS
Carl Sagan made an interesting point when he said, ” We live in a society exquisitely dependant on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.” In the world of lighting- this is most evident in the use of lumens as a standard for measuring the output of grow lighting. We’re talking about measuring light in relation to a candle’s flame. As defined by Wikipedia: “The lumen (symbol: lm) is the SI unit of luminous flux, a measure of the perceived power of light.” Lumens and Lux, by definition, are used to measure how bright a light source appears to the human eye- or what we perceive as bright. Although it has become common-place for grow light manufacturers to rate their grow light output in Lumens, they are only telling you how bright their light will appear to you and light your room, not how well it will grow your plants. Since the human eye is most sensitive to colors plants don’t need, and least sensitive to colors plants prefer, Lumens can’t be used to accurately compare the plant growing capability of grow lights. Light comes in many colors, or wavelengths. To the human eye, the colors green and yellow appear much brighter than the colors red and blue which are the primary colors used by plants for photosynthesis. HID, incandescent, and fluorescent lighting were all originally designed to light rooms. The manufacturers took these bulbs and added bits of impurities to get more of the colors that plants need and labeled them “grow lights”. As much as 82% of the light coming out of these traditional light sources is not absorbed by plants or is in the form of UV, or IR (heat). HID lighting can reach temperatures of over fourteen hundred degrees Fahrenheit at the bulbs surface. This excess heat is then ventilated and directly translates into wasted energy that is included in a lumen rating. In 2002, the engineers at Solar Oasis introduced the world’s first patented LED grow light. LEDs offered a unique opportunity to the designers. Instead of starting with an existing lamp designed to light rooms for people- the LED grow lamp designer can select LEDs that generate exactly the colors of light needed to target wavelengths that are needed for plant growth. Designers are able to add as many colors as they would like and add them in their proper proportion. Finally, the individual LEDs can be arranged in whatever pattern desired to create the final lamp design. By leaving out colors of light that are useful for human vision but not useful for plant growth, incredible levels of efficiency are attained in comparison to other types of grow lights. With this modern lighting- comes modern measurement. A typical grow light produces light wavelengths from 380nm (UV), up to and beyond 880nm (IR). Plants use light wavelengths from 400nm (blue) to 700nm (red). The most accurate unit of measurement for comparing grow lights is the micro Einstein, which measures how many photons of light strike an area per second. Using the micro Einstein we are able to measure how much useable light is emitted (aka wavelengths that fall between 400-700nm). But, while this is a much better way to estimate a lamp’s plant growing ability than Lumens or Lux, it is still very difficult to directly compare two different types of grow lights. All grow lights except the LED Grow Master grow light emit large amounts of light plants don’t use very efficiently, so including that light output in a light’s plant growing measurement is misleading. To those of you that feel like this is all Greek, an analogy… What is now called an inch was originally the width of a man’s thumb. The word carat comes from the weight standard for precious metals of the olden days- the carob bean. We promise not to send you bar measurements in thumb widths, or the weight in carob bean. Along these same lines, we do not measure our output in lumens. We understand the need for, and beauty, of accurate measurement. Human View

:ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :ignore: :eek: Too much to read, but I just really cant believe that 80% is lost in a HPS, your the first person ive ever heard to say such a thing, and the hemp goddess has been growing a lot longer then you and actully has PROOF of her grows, so as everyone has said wheres your proof, lets see those fat buds your talking about that your growing, maybe your the one who doesnt know what there talking about not the hemp goddess

northernlightssmokn said:
I have NEVER heard a more worthless ignorant comment as that!!! You probabaly never even seen an LED or a UFO. You want two good examples of LED growth...

1) My grow journal (link below)
2) http://www.greenpinelane.com/ufo_light_test.aspx (tomato's journal)

I am tired of worthless second hand garbage hear say information like that!! From now on you should start ALL your posts with a truthfull comment: "I once knew a guy who had a friend that was told by his brother that he overheard a lady tell her neighbor that she knew a worker that told her....."

I searched the forum...I dont see any "scientific research" or "proven experiments" with your name on them...

Yes...you hit a nerve....

NO..I am not sorry...
Hey maybe you and call me a fool can go live on a deserted island and grow your own plants using LEDS and UFOS LOL!

It seems that people like to "make up stuff" and say that it is the opinion of all. I see it in forums everywhere. Every once in a while one gets in here too, like pimpdaddy there. He has NEVER seen an LED or a UFO and yet has an opinion. Was not the topic to be discussed by people that have actualy seen or used LED's? I reread my post from lastnite and it was harsh..I apologize for the word "ignorant". I am sorry. I will not apologize for singling out a "player" with bad information. These bad apples cause people to make bad descisions. There should be a button down by the "thanks" button that you can press to "reject" a post as well when bad information is posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back