odds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sin inc

eastside greenxpert
Reaction score
ok bare with me guys. i am very high! you know when they say that when you pick a trait to breed. say smell. you keep picking the one with that same smell and the more you pick them same trait the % goes up that more plants then the next batch will have that smell. i know that the % will never get up too 100% . well when they seed plants they do the whole plant right. i was thinking that because the amount of seeds is so huge that. in the genepool you would have lower % of showing that one trait in that bunch of seeds=plants say 1000, and if you was to get just 20 seeds from the plant would the the% go up of finding that one trait :holysheep:

ok heres the short. seed the whole plant and the % of plants that have that smell=trait out of that bunch of seeds are would be less then if you only got 20 seed would you get more plants with that trait.:icon_smile:

I dont think the % changes with more seeds or less seeds....if you are looking to lock in a trait the more beans (%) your odds go up..hope this helps..

:48:

No, the number of seeds produced has nothing to do with what percentage of a given trait is in a seed.

Nope,,just gives ya more seeds to work with.

ok yea i know thats what the bible says. but you would think it could work that way. thats guys for stopping in. could somebody tell me why this will not work. please.oh ps. thanks mom/thg for popping in

I don't know exactly why, I just know that breeding and genetics do not work like that. There is a lot of info in grow books that is out of date or simply incorrect.

More seeds simply create more phenotypes of the same genotype. Plants produce seeds with slightly different variations. Even when all the seeds are from the exact same genetic stalk they frequently display different characteristics. This develops a variety of differently prioritized seeds capable of handling a greater fluctuation in environment. As an example, a phenotype designed to endure drought, will thrive when conditions are dry, and the oposite occurs as well.

Professional breeders normally maintain strict environmental control which influences the plant to create seeds with less genetic sway (phenotype difference). Still however, cannabis will almost always encourage phenotype diversity. This is why when we purchase 10 seeds of the same stalk, we almost always have slightly different versions of a specific strain and choose the one that best fits our grow methodology.

More seeds of the same strain can be beneficial but how we develop the seeds is important. Normally, less environmental differences equates to more standardized seed production.

When I produce seed, I first develop some goals. Things like more or less potency, flavor or trichrome production. I'll choose the stabile parent strains and breed them. I always shoot for a few hundred seeds (only a few buds). Then I'll start 20 or 30 of the healthiest and find the phenotypes that best suit my goals. This takes time, patience and consistant environmental attentiveness. Often, multiple phenos show promise and it can be difficult choosing the one that best suits your needs but culling them out, and prioritizing growth traits with your original goal in mind is important.

Creating stabile and desirable strains takes real commitment. Accidental breeding indeed brings the occasional gem but most properly developed stains have undergone an intense breeding process. I'm in that process now, working on a new cross of Reclining Budda/Chem Dawg/Jack Cleaner. I'm down the three females after a 35 seed run and I've been at it for over a year and counting. I expect to find the pheno once these three flower out.

Lastly, if you start 1000 seeds of the same genetic stalk, you will likely find the phenotype you desire. If you start 10, then yes, your chances of finding that same pheno diminish. More seeds equates to more phenotypes examples. Less stabile environments create conditions where more seeds will be needed to find the right one. Hope this helps you a bit.

yes it helps alot. thg/mom is right been trying to read everything i can on breeding and most of it is just rehased from some early book wrote back in the 80,s i ve been working on my eastwest delight strain for about year and i am getting it back to what it was when i first started just crossing stuff. the og plant is my avator pic and as you can see from my current grow. ewd#1 is nothing the og. but i have made alot of lead way and getting my strain back to the og . hey jmanweed need to sit down and have and trade so info man i would love to talk to u man about your process

Sin inc said:
the grow bible hopper lol.....

:D OKy Doky

Yeah,,I have read the Bible and didnt see anything about growen Weed,,,only making Wine. The rest were doen Shrums.;)

Send me a pm anytime Sin inc. I'm always open to conversation....

Latest posts

Back