ok here we go, lets see what we can grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ta2dguy

Reaction score
how is everybody doing? I am starting a grow and it is going to be from seed and done the hydro way. i will continue to post here and if problems arise or someone just has some useful info. i will definitely listen to all. i will have to post pics later cuz my daughter has the camera right now. there is not that much to show yet. I have put the seeds between paper towel and most of them have split open so today i am going to put them into the rockwool blocks and go from there. i was planning on feeding them with a 50% solution for a few days.... or should i do it different. I am using seeds that i bred myself which i have grown before (see avatar). last time i sprouted 20 seeds and 5 didnt make it to the first set of leaves but the other 15 turned out female :) so i am very interested in seeing how these turn out. the water is at a ph of 5.5-6.0 and i am going to use a dnf 2 part nutrient solution and a 400 watt bulb in a 4x4x7 closet.

any questions or suggestions will be heard.

Best of luck with your grow :farm:

No hydro experience but looking to get into it for my next grow, so I'll be :watchplant:

ta2dguy said:
how is everybody doing? I am starting a grow and it is going to be from seed and done the hydro way. i will continue to post here and if problems arise or someone just has some useful info. i will definitely listen to all. i will have to post pics later cuz my daughter has the camera right now. there is not that much to show yet. I have put the seeds between paper towel and most of them have split open so today i am going to put them into the rockwool blocks and go from there. i was planning on feeding them with a 50% solution for a few days.... or should i do it different. I am using seeds that i bred myself which i have grown before (see avatar). last time i sprouted 20 seeds and 5 didnt make it to the first set of leaves but the other 15 turned out female :) so i am very interested in seeing how these turn out. the water is at a ph of 5.5-6.0 and i am going to use a dnf 2 part nutrient solution and a 400 watt bulb in a 4x4x7 closet.

any questions or suggestions will be heard.

How EXACTLY did you make these seeds. If you had 15 sprout and they were all female, then I would be willing to bet a fair chunk that you have hermie seeds. If so, they should be destroyed, not grown.

If you feed those seedlings a 50% feeding solution, you are going to kill them. Seedlings do not need any food for 3-4 weeks and then start with a 25% solution. I would recommend that you do some serious reading. Start at the Resource Section.

What kind of 400W bulb are you going to use? A 400W is good for about 9 sq ft. For a 4 x 4 space, you are going to need a 600W.

thanks for stopping in cunga and thg. thanks also for the links and ideas thg, this is why i posted my grow is so i can get the help i need. for starters i have only got 2 400 watt and 1 1000 watt to choose from and i felt the 1000 watt hps would be too much. the info on feeding the seedlings is also appreciated, i dont want to kill them and as for making my own seeds it all started with a few stray seeds from some of the best smoke ever. i was getting it from a friend for 2-3 years and then all of a sudden there was a couple buds with a few seeds in them(20 seeds from 3lbs). i saved them and when i grew them the first time i took the best of the best and discarded the rest. there were 3 males in the 20 seeds and i discarded them too. out of the remaining plants there was 1 that grew 3 male flowers so i carefully took the pollen from that plant and seeded selected buds from the other plants. i have started 2 grows prior to this from my home made seeds and have yet to get a hermie and from 50 seeds, 8 didnt start well and from the other 42 that have grown to maturity i had 1 male which i used to make the seeds i have now, bred with 3 different strains .

this is why i say lets see what we can grow.

again i thank you for your input and suggestions.

Howdy ta2! Welcome.
"out of the remaining plants there was 1 that grew 3 male flowers so i carefully took the pollen from that plant "
In this sentence above you are talking about a hermie, correct? You know what they say about hermie seeds, right? You have been lucky. I would not continue this strain and start a search for better beans.

hi benny. thanks for the input. I am probably wrong here but i am sure i read somewhere that a female plant that produces a minimal amount of pollen sacs, like 3 - 4 of them, produce female pollen and when a full female is pollenated with this pollen it produces female seeds. isnt a hermaphrodite a plant that produces an equal amount of gender parts. anyway so far so good and we shall see what these seeds bring. these are all bred from 1 single male and 3 different females. i had 21 - 22 germinate in 2 days in paper towel and i have now moved them all into rockwool cubes that i am hand feeding straight water to until i see the plant shed its shell and start growing.

i would also like to say that i am only playing around with this breeding thing . i dont claim to be a breeder or master or anything like it but i also dont feel responsible for the hermie problems of late lol. i dont sell my seeds nor do i distribute them freely to anyone. if there is a hermie in my garden i assure you i will throw it away and if there is a hermie in your garden i can assure you it didnt come from me.

any pics of this grow are going to be delayed a few days cuz the camera got dropped and didnt like it.

happy growing to everyone.

well, for anyone that cares i have borrowed a camera and have a few pics. i have some pics of the new seedlings as they shed thier shells and i also have a couple pics of a few plants that are almost 2 weeks into flowering. the reason i am showing these pics is because they are all from the same batch of seeds. theses plants are the reason i came to the forum, to look up a solution for the obvious problems seen. well i found the solution and the ladies are all happy about it and turned back to the right color and back on track growing vigorously. this grow could be interesting.

i have put 4 seeds each in 6" rockwool blocks. the reason for this is because i am going to grow theses seeds long enough to cut a couple of clones from and then straight to flowering. i will grow the clones until these seeds show what they are and then remove any undesired clones and continue growing with the best of what comes out :) . i am hand watering them for a couple days until they all show a bit of strength then into the table they go.

101_0143.JPG 101_0235.JPG

101_0144.JPG 101_0250.JPG

101_0079.JPG 101_0186.JPG

101_0171.JPG

not much to report or show yet. all 21 germinated seeds seem to be doing ok for now.there are two of them that came out with white leaves to start and are changing now to green(gonna call it mighty whitey). i see a bit of stretching already even with the light down close so i am going to invest in a new bulb today cuz i think that one is too old now and may not have the right spectrum. i am also going to put them into my table now and start the drip feeding. i also did some experimenting with the seeds by feeding some of them a 50% solution immediately after they shed thier shell and feeding the others only water for the first 3-4 weeks as suggested by the hemp goddess as so not to kill the poor little things. if you can tell me which ones are fed the solution and which ones aren't you are better than me cuz i see no difference, even a little edge going towards the ones fed 50% but only time will tell, still 2+ more weeks to go. here are a few pics anyway of the little ladies(hopefully). i have included some shot of my clones gone bad which is the reason for starting by seed again. i have never had this happen with cloning before. i got scared they were all gonna die. there is also a couple of pics of the fresh clones i took 2 days ago in the dome(looking wayyyyy better). cant wait till they show me what they are. happy growing to everyone.

101_0274.JPG 101_0283.JPG

101_0273.JPG 101_0287.JPG

101_0290.JPG 101_0289.JPG

101_0300.JPG 101_0298.JPG

101_0292.JPG 101_0291.JPG

"i would also like to say that i am only playing around with this breeding thing . i dont claim to be a breeder or master or anything like it but i also dont feel responsible for the hermie problems of late lol. i dont sell my seeds nor do i distribute them freely to anyone. if there is a hermie in my garden i assure you i will throw it away and if there is a hermie in your garden i can assure you it didnt come from me."

Hermie pollen can travel for miles and miles. If you are deliberately growing and cultivating hermie seeds, you ARE messing around with breeding and you ARE contributing to the hermie problem.

ALL HERMIE SEEDS SHOULD BE DESTROYED

thank you for stopping in THG. i have browsed around the forum alot and have read alot of your posts and replys and journals etc. and appreciate any help from you i can get because you are proven in here to know your stuff and you know it well. i think your scog set up is awesome and im gonna give it a try next but for now i am stuck with what i got. on the topic of "breeding hermies" as i said the original seeds came from a batch of weed that was indoor grown for years and just once there were a few seeds show up. i grew them and when they showed thier sex i discarded the junk (males and weaklings) and flowered the rest until what i figured as done. out of those plants there were 2 that grew alot later in the cycle than they should and one of them grew 3-4 male parts which i carefully collected and saved. there was not much pollen come from them but i pollenated a strong female with it,1 bud was all the pollen i had, and from that i got 50 seeds which produced 8 dead seedlings and 1 male over 2 grows. i saved the male and saved its pollen and pollenated three different plants(2 buds per plant)and got a large amount of seeds. the first ones i grew were the 20 that had 5 die and the other 15 come up female( i got lucky) so i am very interested in seeing what comes from these. i know that the seeds i made using the male pollen should not produce such a high ratio of females so i fully expect to see some males this time. next time i get the urge to make some seeds i am going to see if i can get a plant to produce those few male parts again by letting it grow too long. anyway, i am done my stoned rambling and am going to relax with my volcano. any suggestions for the grow would help. thanks for enduring that explanation. happy growing.

Greetings and welcome!
Good luck on your grow. :)

Were you planning on cutting those 6 inch rockwool cubes into fourths before the roots get tangled?

And while i know people can be quite set in their opinions of hermies (my self included), there is very good reason. Obviously any way you explain it there's a hermie gene in your plants. You seem aware of this and willing to continue so i wish you good luck with it. Crossing plants and making seeds can be a very fun and rewarding experience but as long as your aware that any seeds you produce with this line has the hermie gene and the potential for disaster. It's quite heartbreaking to watch buds slowing ripen and swell only to discover they suddenly stop swelling one day and instead focus all their energy into seed producing because a hermie sac popped up in an unnoticed spot and suddenly screwed the entire grow (so to speak). Hopefully the seeds are just for your own use? (You don't want to be known as the guy who's seeds produce such frustrating results)
Anyways, doesn't seem like I'm telling you anything you don't already know so i will wish you a happy grow!

greetings to you as well MB. you are correct, i am planning on chopping the blocks into quarters today and placing them in the grow units i got that are shown in an earlier pic. i am enjoying this "hermie" issue and discussion very much. i agree with you and disagree with you MB. i have been following the breeding procedures set out by Sage who intentionally lets a plant grow later than it needs to force it to produce a few male parts and then uses the pollen from that to pollenate a full female and produce femenized seeds. so what i am saying is that if i did the exact same thing as he did then do all his strains carry the hermie gene and would that not go for all the breeders that force a female to grow male parts by some form or another(chemicals, stress etc.). are they not the ones that pass the hermie gene around. i promise that if a hermie shows up in my garden i will throw it out and i can also assure you that i do not sell or give away seeds and i do not sell or give away clones and when i do breed my babies i do it as clean and professional as possible so i dont spread the pollen. this discussion is fun and i like the ideas and opinions so far. as far as the grow goes, everything seems to be going ok. a couple of the seedlings i dont think are going to make it but all the strong healthy ones are going to the unit today. i will put a few pics up later but i think i am going to start feeding them all with a 50% solution starting today cuz there is a noticable difference betwen the ones i was feeding and the ones just getting water. i also noticed a big difference in the plants started in the big blocks and the ones in the 1" blocks. the ones in the smaller blocks are shorter and not so stretched but are also smaller overall. i am going to put them into 4" blocks today as well and let the dripping begin. so who has a good, reputable seed bank to direct me to and a couple of tested strains that could be recommended to me as well. i have looked at many sites and many strains and cant decide. i have to get the kids up and off to school, i will post my pics later. happy growing and green mojo to everybody.

here are a few pics of the little ones before and after moving into the grow unit. i only got half done cuz i have to go and buy a new pump. the one i have seems to be broken. i also included a few pics of the growing unit i am using for this. in the pics of the plants there is 1 block that is starting to get the greens on top. this is the one holding the plants i was giving the 50% solution to. it is hard to see from the pics but no problem from here to see the growth difference between them and the rest. i have started feeding them all the 50% solution now. the pictures of the flowering plants are in the same size closet in a 2x4 table being drip fed. there are 8 plants in that room. they are the sisters of the seedlings shown. i hope everyone is having a good day. happy growing:D .

101_0327.JPG 101_0362.JPG

101_0381.JPG 101_0326.JPG

101_0321.JPG 101_0368.JPG

Goodluck with the Grow. hopefully no he-shes huh??

thanks gangalama. i do hope there are no he-shes in the mix but i would like a strong male for breeding. the little seedlings are coming along nice.they are being fed a 50% solution of a 2 part dnf solution for 5 minutes every hour soon to be put up to 100% and fed 24/7. there are a couple seeds that look like they are not gonna make it but thats ok. there are a few sickly clones in the shots as well. they came from the plants i got in the flower room now as well as the clones in the dome. the clones in the dome were taken 5 days into flowering and are starting to perk up nicely. i am going to be without a camera for a few days so it will be all words for a bit. will have to wait for a few days after these shots. happy growing to everyone.

101_0564.JPG 101_0566.JPG 101_0575.JPG

101_0577.JPG 101_0580.JPG 101_0583.JPG

101_0605.JPG 101_0507.JPG

the seedling that are growing now have sisters growing right now that are flowering and are in the thread revived and growing again if anyone is interested. they are also the mothers of any clones you see growing. happy growing to everyone.

i hope everyone had a good christmas and are enjoying any holidays they got. there is not too much going on here yet. from the 22 seeds originally put in paper towel i had one not germinate and 2 not make it to thier first set of leaves. there are 19 still living and most of them are doing ok. they are now 2 1/2 weeks old and i have got them under a 400 watt mh going 24/7. there are some pics of them all mixed in with some clones that managed to survive the last troubles i had. once they grow enough to take some clones i am going to and then flower them to verify sex and then grow the best clones through to maturity. this journal and thread still has a long way to go but for a sneak peak at what some of them may look like go to the thread called revived and growing again in the grow journals forum, there are sisters of these seedlings shown there.

101_0648.JPG 101_0684.JPG

101_0740.JPG 101_0783.JPG

101_0747.JPG

it has been a while since an update in this gj so here it is. everything is all good for now. the little seedlings are now just shy of a month old. i have popped the tps off some of them and not off others for own studies :) . they are getting a little cramped but will be moved soon to a flowering area. i am waiting for two things. 1 is for the plants to show thier sex(which should be soon) and for the space to open up in the flower room. i have removed any struggling/weak ones and am going to cut a bunch of clones as soon as sex is shown or cut the clones and sort after they show if they dont show fast enuff. they are right now on a 24 hr. light schedule and being fed dnf 2 part solution(soooo easy) and have a somewhat stable ph between 5.6 and 6.0. i dunno what else to say, kinda waiting now......:48:

here are a few pics, there are some clones mixed in the back and a couple shots of a sick plant but it is in the same unit as other great lookin plants.... gonna toss it.

IMG_2056.JPG IMG_2060.JPG IMG_2064.JPG IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2070.JPGIMG_2071.JPG IMG_2072.JPG IMG_2078.JPG IMG_2079.JPG

Latest posts

Back