Pot options...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnylorenzo

Reaction score
Hello guys!

What is your opinion on what you grow in? My recent one was with 5gal buckets and multiple people said that it was bad BC of the plastic or other reasons...so I'm going to change it up..

Should I get grow bags, smart pots or just a regular black plastic pots...i was thinking about getting square grow bags...let me know what you guys think I wanna hear it

I am not sure who said that plastic buckets are bad, but it is the choice for many who grow DWC and many people also use plastic buckets for soil. I have never seen problems with a grow that resulted from using plastic buckets. So, if you have them, no reason not to use them.

Different people have different opinions about what is "best". Ultimately what is best is what works best for you. You may want to experiment with different types and sizes of grow containers.

I'm not sure who said it but yeah they said something about if the buckets arnt food grade plastic then you shouldn't use them so I was thinking about getting 3 gallon square plastic grow bags they are cheap... Are they reusable? Idk

I doubt the little plastic pots tomato seedlings come in are food grade.
People over think things.

They're not talking about those... They were talking about a 5 gallon bucket... They arnt meant for food so why would it be... And technically they could be right no matter how many times I clean them prolly is not 100% clean... Food grade would probly be cleaner

Cleaner has nothng to do with it. It is the materials that they use in the plastics. I repeat, I would not worry using regular 5 gal buckets.

The grow bags are hard for me to deal with. They do not hold their shape well. I have used the 1, 2, and 3 gal sizes, but prefer rigid containers myself.

Cleanliness might not be a matter to you but I'm not sure what was all in it before..so cleanliness is of major concern to me...I didn't buy these buckets they were either already mine or given to me by others...so like I said I'm not sure what was in them. And yeah upon further research I dont want the bags anymore lot of people say they have that problem and others but have you ever tried a smart pot? If not I'm just going to keep the buckets I have

I love smart pots. But i am using all kinds of pots this summer.

Well I've also been doing more reading in them and ivr read that you should start a auto in the pot that you want to finish it in?

And another question is should I use FFOF for the autos or FFHF I'm gonna mix perlite with either one that I choose

The only con of a smart pot is transplanting. Trying to get the plant out of the pot is horrible. So i just use one gallon plastic bags then put them in smart pots.. You have to use saucers under smart pots. But the last forever and let the roots get some air. They are my favorite.

I have been told that about autos too. I would start them in keg cups then transplant to the final container.

Alright that sounds cool ill figure it out but thanks for all the views...but does anyone know about my other post(#11)

Oh sorry, i was going to comment. I use seed starter in my keg cups but i don't fill them full, about 3/4. After the seeds come up and stretch a little then you can add HF to fill the cup. Then when you transplant you can use either. The HF has nutes to last 3 weeks. The FFOF has nutes to last 6-8 weeks. Very good soils, both of them

So then if Its for a auto do I really need nutes if I use FFOF? Or if i use the FFHF and it only last for 3 weeks then i would need nutes...but ive read that your sposed to do everything the same with autos (nute wise) So would i use nutes with the FFOF or no?

And what is seed starter?

I'm using airpots to. Hard for me to judge the time to need water. Hey there hamster Lewis, what size airpot should I transplant into from the .3liter propagation cell. I have 2 sativa leggy Skywalker kush in 3x3 tent screen grow. They are 10" now been in the about 16 days from 2x2" rockwool.

I have never used Air Pots. I think JAAM uses them. Maybe he will pop in.

Seed starter is an inert medium, meaning it doesn't have any nutrition that would burn your young seedling.

You will end up using some nutes with either one. Just more with HF.

Is a seed starter like a peat pot? If so I just used those and I didn't like it very well my harvest before last I used those small plant cups you get from buying others... But I'll probably either use solo cups or the little plant pots

Seed starter comes in a bag and it says seed starter on it. I used to love whitney farms seed starter but Scotts bought them so i won't use them now.. This is what i am using now, but any is fine. the teddy is my dogs, not mine.View attachment 002.jpg

Latest posts

Back