Praying leaves.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Says to water everyday and keep pots heavy.....I don't get why I cant get a straight answer on coco. Water everyday seems like I would drown them. The coco has runoff easily, but it also gets wet when watered, and pot gets heavy. He says its pretty impossible to over water your coco since even after being watered it holds 30% oxygen.

That article told me that I need to use coco nutrients not hydroponics nutients.
It also told me that coco holds water well and I do not need to water as often.

Seems I am getting the run around with answers to my questions on the internet.

Nothing new, LOL.

Marijuana Coco Coir Growing Fact #4: Watering Coco Coir​

Coco coir retains water well—too well if you’re a marijuana grower who tends to overwater. On top of that, coco coir’s appearance isn’t a reliable way of knowing when it needs more water. Coco coir should be watered when it’s 50-70% dry. But how can you determine the dryness of your coco coir?

One method works only if you’re growing in individual pots:

• Water until about 15-20% of the water runs out the bottom of the pots and the coir appears to be thoroughly wet.
  • Weigh the pots and record their weight. If they’re evenly watered, they’ll all weigh about the same.
  • When you think 50-70% of the moisture has left the coco coir root zone, weigh the pots again.
  • The difference between the initial wet weight and the current weight is used in a percentage calculation to determine how dry the coco has become.

Advertisements

That article told me that I need to use coco nutrients not hydroponics nutients.

Nothing new, LOL.

Coco coir retains water well—too well if you’re a marijuana grower who tends to overwater. On top of that, coco coir’s appearance isn’t a reliable way of knowing when it needs more water. Coco coir should be watered when it’s 50-70% dry. But how can you determine the dryness of your coco coir?

• Water until about 15-20% of the water runs out the bottom of the pots and the coir appears to be thoroughly wet.
  • Weigh the pots and record their weight. If they’re evenly watered, they’ll all weigh about the same.
  • When you think 50-70% of the moisture has left the coco coir root zone, weigh the pots again.
  • The difference between the initial wet weight and the current weight is used in a percentage calculation to determine how dry the coco has become.

Advertisements
I saw that too and thought it was odd that it sounded the opposite of what you had read. They say there is more than one way to skin a cat but there is almost always a best way to do anything. It is interesting(and maybe telling)that soil growers like pute and boo both thought they looked over-watered like I did(though they have decades more experience than I do(at only a bit over 12 years of experience, I am a relative noob)). The tensiometer in the article may be helpful too to help determine if it is over-watering. The article also talks about different quality of coco which makes sense since there are soils that are better than others(and some that just suck). The pH thing surprised me as well but since it sounds like it is kind of a hybrid of soil and hydro, it makes sense that the pH requirement may be different than soil. I like to learn stuff. Just not at someone else’s expense. I am confident you will get this dialed in though and be back to growing beautiful, healthy plants.

Have you checked PH on run off? It tends to run high in coco, especially early on. That would cause the droopy look. It's not that easy to over or under water with coco.

Have you checked PH on run off? It tends to run high in coco, especially early on. That would cause the droopy look. It's not that easy to over or under water with coco.
Yes make sure you get enough runoff so you can check the PH coming out from the plant and adjust the PH feedwater going back in by the number coming out.
If PH runoff is low increase the feed PH until it in in the right zone and the same if too high.

Well I know from using coco that it doesn't really over water very easily.
But let's look at the inputs.
Substrate is the 70/30 coco same as yours, I completely flood the coco twice a day. My humidity is in the mid 60s, temps 78f day and 69f night. Ppms are 1200 ish, ec 2.35. ph is constantly 5.8 at feedings, I do have to adjust my resivior ph down after 2 feedings as the ph will drift up to 6 ish due to the rootzone doing its thing. Ppfd is 900 at the average tops of the plants, some plants reaching higher are getting 1100 almost. I have plenty of airflow with 3 fans and an 8 inch blower.
I can't think of anything else that might be contributing the reaching/praying effect, other than they think that the light is Thier God. Probably makes me the devil because I'm going to cut them down and burn them. Lol
PXL_20230403_032738371.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230403_032928951.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Might try the hempy bucket, or like in massproducer's version. 5 gallon bucket with hole 3 inches from bottom filled with perlite up to just below said hole. Your coco goes on top. Perlite work like a reservoir for nute water, hole only lets it get that high.

Care to be taken with frequent watering while roots grow, once they hit res level you are in business.

Bubba

Might try the hempy bucket, or like in massproducer's version. 5 gallon bucket with hole 3 inches from bottom filled with perlite up to just below said hole. Your coco goes on top. Perlite work like a reservoir for nute water, hole only lets it get that high.

Care to be taken with frequent watering while roots grow, once they hit res level you are in business.

Bubba
The guy who I worked with used these and liked them
He grew monster plants but vegged for 4 months

Satan was an angel too, right?
Well I've been torturing and starving them since they popped out of the ground, doing everything I can to keep them low down and away from each other, and if they don't pray to me I start the tourtured all over again. I think that makes me more like God lol

Nothing new, LOL.

Advertisements

Oh yeah man, if you aren't using coco specific nutrients, you should. Totally different balance of certain things like calcium I believe.

I've heard people say you can water coco more often, as long as it's draining well, because it pushes air through it

Latest posts

Back