Prepping for first grow! :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Green Fang

You don't see me . . .
Reaction score
Hello all. Yes I'm new and my introduction thread can be read HERE.

Basically I watched a video ( hxxp:youtube.com/watch? v=8KVO26htvoQ&list=UUV-ZtWUkTVbttG7k-9y0_ng *edit* I'm not getting the link to work this way. Just look up: "I Grow Chronic! 1of9 (Marijuana hydroponic grow room setup)" )after doing a load of research and have decided that this general method is what I want to do.

I'll get pics of my room and some other information as time goes on, but for now I think I'm going to be doing around 10x3 with a divider to make it 2 5x3 rooms. This will be above my garage in a livable space that's insulated and "rough cut"

I basically want help with any parts lists (going off of that growing series video) and any suggestions and thoughts that can be compiled for my first grow. I want to at least have a successful 1st grow even though yes I understand there's a lot of factors and plants die etc.. I just ultimately want to grow enough to sustain myself. This video said he gets around 1 QP every 2 months and that would be perfect for me! Seems he has 2 mothers and some vegging clones at all times under simple florescent and 4 plants flowering in the other side. I would be willing to extend my flowering room 2 feet or something so that I could flower 6 plants at once optimally. I have plenty of room, but I don't want to go crazy (considering I don't have the funds too either) so I was thinking a 400W HPS with air hood should be just fine for 6 plants (he used it very effectively on 4 plants in the video)

I've compiled the list from the stuff in video, but I'm curious of the technical term to some of the items. Like the black bins he has in the vegging and flowering rooms.. the ones he drills holes into. Also, those fittings that go in the holes. What are those called specifically? I just want to head to a hardware store and get the easy stuff picked up.

Also, how about nutes? What ones should I buy? (I know that's somewhat subjective and situational) I generally want to know how much the nutes will cost. I have a decent idea on the rest of the builds pricing.

Alright, any thoughts I have I'll just chime in here and hope for help along the way.

I really appreciate any and all help along this process. I was intimidated at first, but I really think after a week of researching I have a good idea of what is going on. Obviously I don't know entirely hah :)

I hope to be a regular around here. I have a decent camera and I hope to be taking some excellent pictures and 720HD videos along my process. I'll pay back the community as best possible as this is going on.

i cant view the video without creating a youtbue account so i'll have to do that later.

as for your space size. 2 5X3 rooms, i'm assuming 1 for veg 1 for flower?

how much light you need is not depending on how many plants you want to grow. its based on how large the room is. each room is 15 sq ft, and you need minimum 3000 lumens per sq ft in veg room and 5000 lumens per sq ft in flower room. remember these are your minimums, you can never have too much light, but too little can be detrimental. a 6 bulb 4 ft HO t5 fixture will do well in the veg room. normally i would say grab a 600watt hps for 15sq ft. b/c your flower room is rectangle rather then a square, i would go for 2 400watt hps instead of the single 600watt. it will give you a better footprint as well as more overall lumens per sq ft.

also, your flower room can stand to be bigger then the veg room. so if you wanted, you could make the flower room 6X3 and the veg room 4X3.

i cant view the video without creating a youtbue account so i'll have to do that later.

Viewing the video is slightly important to the mindset and method I was going for.

as for your space size. 2 5X3 rooms, i'm assuming 1 for veg 1 for flower?

Yes indeed :)

how much light you need is not depending on how many plants you want to grow. its based on how large the room is. each room is 15 sq ft, and you need minimum 3000 lumens per sq ft in veg room and 5000 lumens per sq ft in flower room. remember these are your minimums, you can never have too much light, but too little can be detrimental. a 6 bulb 4 ft HO t5 fixture will do well in the veg room. normally i would say grab a 600watt hps for 15sq ft. b/c your flower room is rectangle rather then a square, i would go for 2 400watt hps instead of the single 600watt. it will give you a better footprint as well as more overall lumens per sq ft.

also, your flower room can stand to be bigger then the veg room. so if you wanted, you could make the flower room 6X3 and the veg room 4X3.

Again, watching that video is quite important to how my thought process is right now. This guy shows the entire process done over 9 ten minute videos. Start to crop. He gets 1 QP every 2 months using this entire method and 1 400W HPS light in flowering room for 4 plants.

I really appreciate the explanation of the veg room light. I'll need to sort this out so thanks. :)

The video isn't viewable to people without youtube account? Are you sure? :(

Yo Ho EllisD,

First welcome to our Living library as it were. I like the idea of the 400 watt HPS in a 3x5 room. Hopefully you have a bit of head room for the light.

For that kind of a fast turn around, I think your pretty much on the money for the lighting, but remember you have to have everything dialed in pretty well to get that time in veg and flower accomplished. Most indicas that I do in soil need a flower time minumally of 7 weeks, and if there is Sativa in there, then guarentee it's going to want longer in flower.

I'm checking out the video as you do have my attention, and I would like to see what's got you all excited.

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:icon_smile:

Take everything you see on You Tube with a grain of salt--there is a huge amount of misinformation there, as anyone can put anything on they want and make any claims they want.

First I want to say that that everything that shortbus has told you is true. Second, you are going to have to be flexible. Third, a QP every 2 months is really not very much.

Regardless of what the greenman says, a 400W in 15 sq ft is not enough. You need a min of 75,000 lumens and you are not going to get that with a 400W. I would go with either a 600W with a large air cooled reflectors or 2 400W like shortbus mentioned. I would also not use "regular" fluoro tubes. Look into the HO T5s for vegging. I also do not keep moms, but clone from clones. Your vegging room can generally be substantially smaller than your flowering room as the plants are a lot smaller. IMO, it is a mistake to make your vegging space too large since you need to light and ventilate it.

It has been a long time since I have watched these videos. I will try and rewatch all of them sometime today and see what else I can offer. I can't remember the exact hydro set-up he uses.

Also be flexible. What works for one may not work for another. And like mentioned already, everything you see on You Tube is not necessarily real or realistic and 4 ozs from a 400W is really a poor yield.

ok i checked out the video. few things you should know right off the bat. the reason he is only running 1 400watt hps is because he is not utilizing the entire flower room. he is actually loosing a lot of light by making the room 5x3 and only using 3x3 of the space to actually grow plants.

i also i wanna point out something he said. the statement "i save 2-4 weeks of growing time by using a hydroponic system" is a completely false statement. that is an outrageous claim that he nor anyone else would ever be able to provide evidence to.

now, if you want to grow hydro, then i say go for it. there are a few things you need to know before going forward though.

1 - hydro has a more expensive start up cost then soil. even the cheapest hydro setup will cost more then a soil setup.
2 - in my experience soil is also less overall work. UNLESS, you take the time and more importantly MONEY to make your hydro setup automated.
3 - there is a varying degree difficulty, when it comes to hydro setups. some are simple and easy, and some are much more complicated.

when people are starting out with their first grow and make the decision to grow using a hydroponic application. i always suggest for their first grow they use DWC as their first choice setup. DWC(deep water culture) is the cheapest, easiest setup when it comes to hydro growing.

deep water culture - the plants are usually germinated in rapid rooter plugs, or rockwool. then when roots show through, the plants are transplanted into a net pot/bucket pot full of hydroton. hydroton is an inert medium that holds water while providing ample drainage and aeration. the roots eventually grow down through the net pot and into a nutrient solution that is aerated by a air stone.

i find the 5gal bucket standalone dwc system to be the easiest, as opposed to multiple plants within 1 reservoir.

things you will need:

- 1 5gal bucket per plant (i suggest buying 2 buckets per plant though. it makes it much easier when you need to change out the reservoir. you can pre bubble/mix the nutrients in the spare buckets, then just do the old switcheroo, when the time comes to change out your res.)

- 1 air stone per bucket (picking a quality air stone is key here, you want one that is heavy so it stays at the bottom of the bucket and doesn't entangle itself in the roots system.)

- air pump, how many you will need will depend on how many plants you are going to grow at any one time. they make air pumps that you can attach 1-4 line on them. they also make commercial grade pumps that you can buy a splitter for that will provide enough air for up to 100 buckets at a time. i like to buy the 2 hose pumps and the 4 hose pumps from ecoplus. they are cheap and work very well for me.

- 1/4" air hose. cheap stuff. just grab 50 or 100ft. its so cheap and has so many uses you will always want some of this laying around for a rainy day.

- net pots, you can choose to buy 5gal buckets with lids and cut a 3" hole in the center of the lid where you can place your net pot. OR just buy the bucket pots. they come in 4-10" pot sizes and all fit perfectly over a standard 5gal bucket. they're also sturdier then regular net pots.

ther are many different kid of hydroponic setups.

difficulty rating: 1-5 (in my opinion)

- ebb & flo 3
- flood and drain 3
- top feed 3
- dwc 1
- aeroponics 5 (aeroponics is expensive and a LOT of work. super sensitive as well. i don't recommend this for anyone new to growing)

these are some of the most popular hydro choices, theres a few more, but not worth mentioning right now.

im in total agreement with THG, you need to find what works best for you and your situation. that 1 statement right there is prolly the most valuable piece of info anyone can give you when setting up a grow room.

*EDIT* hahah! before I finished this post there were 2 more replies. Checking and replying now. :)

Wow, excellent community here! Thanks for quick and detailed responses!

I'm going to manually multi-quote and reply to give you my thoughts, but I do know I'm a noob and am willing to listen extremely! I just want to not totally fail my first grow if at all possible.

First welcome to our Living library as it were. I like the idea of the 400 watt HPS in a 3x5 room. Hopefully you have a bit of head room for the light.

Thanks for the welcome! I really feel like this site is everything I've been needing for that "nudge" to growing. I have plenty of headroom. :) I'll take a pic of the space soon enough.

I'm checking out the video as you do have my attention, and I would like to see what's got you all excited.

It was a rather convincing video, but this is why I'm here and cross referencing. I've watched loads of other videos and this one takes the cake for me.

Take everything you see on You Tube with a grain of salt--there is a huge amount of misinformation there, as anyone can put anything on they want and make any claims they want.

Oh surely, again this is why I'm here and showing the vast knowledgeable users and helpful members here this video to "fact check"

Second, you are going to have to be flexible. Third, a QP every 2 months is really not very much.

I'm rather flexible and generally wanted to give you an idea of what I hoped for process and turn around :) As for QP every 2 not being much, that's EXCELLENT to hear!! I will only really need around QP / 2 months so any more is bonus and super appreciated and kind of sounds awesome to me to hear you say that!

Regardless of what the greenman says, a 400W in 15 sq ft is not enough. You need a min of 75,000 lumens and you are not going to get that with a 400W. I would go with either a 600W with a large air cooled reflectors or 2 400W like shortbus mentioned.

Only problem with that is funding. I would have a hard time getting the wife to agree any further funds lol! I've got the agreement on the parts list of greenmans setup, and I think that's a fairly good one.

I also do not keep moms, but clone from clones

And I believe, if I remember right, each generation gets stronger yes? I was thinking of doing this as well.. a little different than Greenman. Keep getting clones of clones along the way and vegging them during the process.

Your vegging room can generally be substantially smaller than your flowering room as the plants are a lot smaller. IMO, it is a mistake to make your vegging space too large since you need to light and ventilate it.

Well indeed, just going off of dimensions from that very convincing video series.

It has been a long time since I have watched these videos. I will try and rewatch all of them sometime today and see what else I can offer. I can't remember the exact hydro set-up he uses.

It would actually humble me and mean the world if you would take a few moments to watch the 9 part video... the reason it would mean so much, is you would see my (nearly) exact mindset with what I was hoping to do! Then I could adjust from there with yours (and others) knowledge. :D

Also be flexible. What works for one may not work for another. And like mentioned already, everything you see on You Tube is not necessarily real or realistic and 4 ozs from a 400W is really a poor yield

I understand, I was just exceedingly happy with this process and yield so wanted to inquire further. I was very satisfied with 5 ouch yield (I believe he had 5+ ounce yield. He sums it up as "a QP every 2 months guaranteed"

With all this said, thanks again .. I really appreciate the quick responses as financially and hobby wise, I need to change something. I'm willing to invest a little chunk, and that's all I can afford.. I just want it to sustain me.

Can't wait for any and all replies. Checking "new posts" constantly, and browsing the sub forums in another tab. Great community here, and loads of info!

EllisD said:
And I believe, if I remember right, each generation gets stronger yes? I was thinking of doing this as well.. a little different than Greenman. Keep getting clones of clones along the way and vegging them during the process.

no, they actually will lose their vigor over a long period of time, after they've been cloned over and over for years. this is actually a much debated topic amongst growers.

ShOrTbUs said:
ok i checked out the video. few things you should know right off the bat. the reason he is only running 1 400watt hps is because he is not utilizing the entire flower room. he is actually loosing a lot of light by making the room 5x3 and only using 3x3 of the space to actually grow plants.

i also i wanna point out something he said. the statement "i save 2-4 weeks of growing time by using a hydroponic system" is a completely false statement. that is an outrageous claim that he nor anyone else would ever be able to provide evidence to.

now, if you want to grow hydro, then i say go for it. there are a few things you need to know before going forward though.

1 - hydro has a more expensive start up cost then soil. even the cheapest hydro setup will cost more then a soil setup.
2 - in my experience soil is also less overall work. UNLESS, you take the time and more importantly MONEY to make your hydro setup automated.
3 - there is a varying degree difficulty, when it comes to hydro setups. some are simple and easy, and some are much more complicated.

when people are starting out with their first grow and make the decision to grow using a hydroponic application. i always suggest for their first grow they use DWC as their first choice setup. DWC(deep water culture) is the cheapest, easiest setup when it comes to hydro growing.

deep water culture - the plants are usually germinated in rapid rooter plugs, or rockwool. then when roots show through, the plants are transplanted into a net pot/bucket pot full of hydroton. hydroton is an inert medium that holds water while providing ample drainage and aeration. the roots eventually grow down through the net pot and into a nutrient solution that is aerated by a air stone.

i find the 5gal bucket standalone dwc system to be the easiest, as opposed to multiple plants within 1 reservoir.

things you will need:

- 1 5gal bucket per plant (i suggest buying 2 buckets per plant though. it makes it much easier when you need to change out the reservoir. you can pre bubble/mix the nutrients in the spare buckets, then just do the old switcheroo, when the time comes to change out your res.)

- 1 air stone per bucket (picking a quality air stone is key here, you want one that is heavy so it stays at the bottom of the bucket and doesn't entangle itself in the roots system.)

- air pump, how many you will need will depend on how many plants you are going to grow at any one time. they make air pumps that you can attach 1-4 line on them. they also make commercial grade pumps that you can buy a splitter for that will provide enough air for up to 100 buckets at a time. i like to buy the 2 hose pumps and the 4 hose pumps from ecoplus. they are cheap and work very well for me.

- 1/4" air hose. cheap stuff. just grab 50 or 100ft. its so cheap and has so many uses you will always want some of this laying around for a rainy day.

- net pots, you can choose to buy 5gal buckets with lids and cut a 3" hole in the center of the lid where you can place your net pot. OR just buy the bucket pots. they come in 4-10" pot sizes and all fit perfectly over a standard 5gal bucket. they're also sturdier then regular net pots.

ther are many different kid of hydroponic setups.

difficulty rating: 1-5 (in my opinion)

- ebb & flo 3
- flood and drain 3
- top feed 3
- dwc 1
- aeroponics 5 (aeroponics is expensive and a LOT of work. super sensitive as well. i don't recommend this for anyone new to growing)

these are some of the most popular hydro choices, theres a few more, but not worth mentioning right now.

Amazing reply. I have so much to say to ALL of this, but I'll get down to business with some immediate answer/questions.

I was happy with his setup and yield so for you guys to tell me it's sloppy and yields low, that's excellent news! :) Yes, I'm very flexible and am willing to buy and shape to helpful users design. I will surely listen to you guys and setup accordingly, just wanted you all to know the video that got me going mentally and emotionally.

Again, I just want to sustain myself you know? So if the space could be smaller and more effective, that sounds like 2 bonus's to me!! I just don't want to burn my garage down, so the thought of putting everything "closer" scares me only slightly. But I feel like that's silly considering some of the setups I've seen.. especially in closets! lol

I like the sound of soil being easier overall and cheaper, but I really want to do a cheap hydro solution. Now your mention of DWC I'd like to look at. Especially since you rate it a 1 out of 5 for ease.. I want my first grow to be as easy as possible, yet yield enough for me to sustain and have it not be total gross tasting, horrible grade stuff.

Ok, so you recommend the 5 gal bucket method then? I'd love if anyone has done this kind of grow, and has a journal setup.. if I could get pointed that way. Pics / vids are excellent for my learning methods. Just text can be tricky :/

Overall you think a 400w HPS will work right? That's about what my budget holds to. Unless a 600w isn't too much more. I thought I found some various prices around, but any advice on purchase place would be nifty too. If not, no worries I'll sort that out.

im in total agreement with THG, you need to find what works best for you and your situation. that 1 statement right there is prolly the most valuable piece of info anyone can give you when setting up a grow room.

Yeah, I liked that bit right there. You guys know my deal, just would need a pic of my room I imagine to help figure out how to design it. Was there anything wrong with Greenmans design besides it being too big for lighting size? Can I do a smaller version of that effectively?

(I have soooo many questions more than this eek!)

ShOrTbUs said:
no, they actually will lose their vigor over a long period of time, after they've been cloned over and over for years. this is actually a much debated topic amongst growers.

Sorry Shorty....I have a strain that just turned 30yrs old..and flowers just as good today as it did day 1...so I say...clone clone clone clone clone....then clone some more:lama:

4u2sm0ke said:
Sorry Shorty....I have a strain that just turned 30yrs old..and flowers just as good today as it did day 1...so I say...clone clone clone clone clone....then clone some more:lama:

hah, crazy :)

Well in that case, if you would be so kind as to read my backstory and thought process up till this point and chime in, that'd be excellent of you! :D

I also recommend ditching the hydro setup he is using. Go with something simple at first and get more complicated later if you want to. I have grown individual DWC buckets for years. The difference in cost between what he has and a simple DWC system with individual buckets should allow you to step up to a 600W light (a 400W really isn't enough unless you make your space smaller. Contrary to what he said, hydro is not faster. It may speed up vegging some, but not in a significant way.

His entire method of sexing I really question. First of all, do not cull your vegging plants down to the best 2. This is especially important because the larger stronger plants are often male. Most plants will show sex while still in veg after 8 weeks, so all that rigamarole he did would normally be unneccesary. He is darned lucky that both the plants he kept were female. If they had been male, he would have lost approx 10 weeks time with nothing to show for it. So basically, germ 2-3 times more seeds than you want plants. Veg them under 24 hour light (18/6 causes stretch as you can see and slows things down). Between 6 and 8 weeks they should have preflowers and you can throw away the males. Rockwool must be presoaked in water pH'd to about 5.5 before use. I also do not recommend dipping cuttings into the cloning gel bottle. You can transfer any pathogens the plant has into the gel.

I think that you will find it harder to keep the flowering area 100% dark than he shows. Black plastic and staples are most likely going to let light in--it doesn't even appear that the black plastic that serves as the door is anchored in any way. While mylar may be the best, it is only the best if it is hung absolutely straight without wrinkles, something that is hard to do. In addition, it does not wash well and you usually cannot rehang it. I have removed all the mylar from my walls. Flat white paint is very reflective, washes well and is cheap. Skip the mylar and you have saved more money.

I do not keep mother plants. I take clones from clones. I have seen strain degradation after a number of years, but it takes many many generations for this to happen. Without mothers, you can make your vegging space smaller, just needing a place to veg and clone. A 3 x 3 space or a 4 x 2 space would most likely be large enough. A 4 x 2 space will enable you to use a 4' fluoro.

To keep from getting horrible stuff, buy good genetics.

That is all I can think of for right now.

When you say that you wanna do htdro becuse you want it to be the best smoke. thats really irrelevant. I grow in soil organically and I produce really dank stuff that would rival any hydro setup if not surpass. its not gonna change quality doing hydro over soil. Imo hydro is a lot more complicated and I stay away from it, although once dialed in hydro can be very rewarding. Its all personal preference.You say money is an issue. grow in soil organically. jmo

also ebay has a 600watt hps/mh cool tube with xl hood grow kit with rope ratchet hangers and both bulbs mh and hps for 200 bucks. thats really cheap and has enough lumens to be successful. I grow in a 3x3 flood table and I can fit 9 plants and I yield a pound every 7 weeks. I grow top skunk 44 by seedsman that i got from the attitude seedbank. Theyre short plants, Its pretty dank stuff. lots of trichs and a great buzz.

wow i had an extremely well thought out post all typed up and almost finished, when i accidentally x'ed out of firefox. :-(

...lets try this again.

i get my 5gal buckets from lowes. cheapest price i can find anywhere

if you want to go with just the 400watt hps. then i suggest you make your flower room 3x3. paint the walls flat white. mylar is the pain in the *** to deal with. flat white paint reflects very well.

the hps light will no doubt be the biggest expense of all. while bulbs are cheap(about 15-30$), hps lights require ballasts & reflectors.

for smaller wattage hps i like to go with cooltubes, b/c they're cheap

the ballast will run you around 150$ new. there are some really good deals on ebay where you can get used 400watt setups for really cheap. just gotta do your homework and make sure everything looks like its in working order

you will also need ventilation. the plants need a constant supply of co2 in the grow room to grow well. this mean you will need to purchase an inline fan. a 4" fan will suffice for a 400w. but if you look at the pricing in the link below. its worth it to just get the 6" only like 10$ more and the cfm goes up tenfold.

these are just examples. do your research, and find good deals...

good ballast >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/?action=product_list&cid=11&aid=161&bid=62&wid=7

good aircooled hood >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/sun-lowrider?&cid=12

cheap cooltube >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/hydrofarm-cool-tube-6-socket-included.html?&cid=12

cheap inline fan >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/VALUELINE4.html?&cid=133

bucket net pots(1 per bucket) >>>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/6-mesh-pot-bucket-lid.html?&cid=190

air stone(1 per bucket) >>>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/ecoplus-air-stone-medium-round.html?&cid=454

air pump >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/ecoplus-eco-air-pumps.html?&cid=453

rapic rooter plugs(for clones and seedlings) >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/gh-rapid-rooter-50-pack.html?&cid=211

humidity done and tray (for clones and seedlings) >>>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/mondi-7-controlled-humidity-dome.html?&cid=209

cloning gel >>>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/hydrodynamics-clonex-rooting-gel.html?&cid=206

HO t5's (for veg room) >>>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/?action=special_category&cid=14

hydroton/grow stones >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/?action=product_list&cid=159

thermometer/hydrometer >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/ecoplus-large-display-thermometer-hygrometer.html

pump sprayer never hurts >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/flo-master-pump-sprayer-1-2-gallon.html

my favorite fiskers >>> hxxp://www.ehydroponics.com/fiskars-softtouch-micro-tip-snips-9921.html

- a cheap pocket microscope (40x-100x) to check for plant maturity
- measuring cups to measure your nutrients
- vent duct & clamps

you will also need an assortment of hooks chain and ropes to hang your lights. all found at local harware stores. as well as supplies to construct your grow space

if the smell is a problem for where your living i also suggest buying a carbon filter.

your going to need to pick up some oscillating fans as well, to help strengthen the stems of your plants and keep the air moving around the room

we'll get into nutrients a little later. thats a whole page post in itself :p

It would actually humble me and mean the world if you would take a few moments to watch the 9 part video... the reason it would mean so much, is you would see my (nearly) exact mindset with what I was hoping to do! Then I could adjust from there with yours (and others) knowledge.

hBIUp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf-xA9p8gDM

I have seen his videos in the past and allways wonder why he Whispers?...:stoned:...and doesnt show his :bong1: Rip at end...anywho..I think its a waste time to make a cardboard dry box...just use Hangers and a closet...I would also like to see some pictures of your setup as ya go along...I would stay with soil as its more forgiving ..than step up to Hydro if ya choose...I run a perpetual grow..I havest a QP every 2 weeks...And I would stay away from the Milar its a PITA and needs to stay clean...he dont tell ya that in the video...I aim to help ya through and will chime in as needed...what excited you most about this video?

what excited you most about this video?

What got me the most was it looked decently cheap and easy to setup and maintain the room. With that said, I'm willing to do whatever is suggested by the majority here. Only issue is, I need to make sure people are in agreement when I take a direction. Should I do soil? Should I do hydro? I'm willing to do either and learn either method. The DWC method seems easy and doable.. and so does soil, it's just the organic method that scares me after reading about it.

@THG: Thanks for all your additions here. After you and a few more have said ditch mylar and go with white, I'm going to head that way. As for the "buy good genetics" comment, I actually have some seeds from over the years that I promised myself I would grow. They are all still good looking and solid structure... also I've only saved the ones from GOOD bud along the way. (obviously it wasn't that great since I got a seed, but that must have been a hemi plant ya?)

I have a couple seeds that I'm absolutely sure were from good stuff. I have some leftover from my trip to Jamaica.. I sure hope they take hold!!!

@HighBrix: Thanks so much for stopping in and giving me your thoughts! What you say you grow in the size and time is just amazing. I aim for yields like you guys say, but only want to have to expect less. I would love extras!!! But I'd be happy with enough to sustain comfortably. (1 - 1 1/2 OZ / month) I'm considering soil but want to fully get thoughts before hand.

@ 4u4sm0ke: I wondered why he whispered too lol. Carboard dry box works when you don't have a closet ya? :) I'll be taking loads of pics along the way and getting the community involved while keeping the community fully in tuned with my entire process, mindset and workflow / outcome. Another vote for soil from you I see. QP every 2 is amazing.. I can only dream of this outcome. Thanks for staying you'll stick around.

Can't say how much I appreciate this active and extremely helpful community.

im not trying to push you into hydro. i'm a hydro guy. i've just recently taken up organic soil, and i am quickly thinking i should go all organic, i love it. dont be afraid of organic, its the cheapest! of all the growing styles. an added benefit of going organic. you dont just have to grow pot, grow your wife some flowers and i bet your "growing pot budget" will go up! hahahaha :48:

i'm growing my wife tulips, tiger lilies, and strawberries(choc covered strawberries her fav.). i'm growing my daughter roses, and my son wanted pumpkins.

Latest posts

Back