Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
Okay, I've been reading and reading and I'm learning a lot but I'm still have a couple of questions. One is about my lights...My closet is 3.5 x 5.6. I'm not so sure about how many lights I'll need and what wattage. I tried to figure it out but got aggravated :D Also, once the plant starts growing and say I have it on an 18 on/6-8 off, when would I switch over to say 12 on/12 off? How long should I wait to switch to 12/12? How long till the flowering/budding process begins? Sorry for all the questions...but I have been reading as much as I can before coming here to bother you guys:rolleyes: Thanks for any help in advance.

Im not sure wheather it will be a good idea to get a 250 or 400w HPS (high pressure sodium) if you can keep it cool!! (extraction might be required).

You can have your plants on 18/6 or 24/0 for as long as you like or as tall as you want the plant to grow but...when you switch over to 12/12 the plant doubles or somtimes triples in size!!

You should start seeing buds a couple of weeks after changing to 12/12.

One more point Make sure your closet is 100% DARK when your light is off!!!!

Good luck and i hope you grow some nice buds!!

RAD

Thanks Rad...will I only get budding by switching to 12/12? I don't want huge plants...I'd like to keep it at a total of maybe four or five if that's even possible. I don't have a lot of space and unless I were to build something, I also don't have the space. I just keep imagining my dad coming to visit and asking why the closets don't open :D

Thanks for the other info

Hope your closets aren't the type that crease at the center, and slide along rails.. very frustrating to completely lightproof!

You say your closet is 3.5 * 5.6 feet? So that's 19.6 square feet.
The general rule of thumb is 3000 - 5000 lumen per square foot. So that's 58,800 - 98,000 lumen to cover your closet.
I would recommend using a 400 watt hps (puts out 50,000 lumen), and a 400 watt mh (puts out 36,000 lumen). This would give you a nice mixed spectrum, and you'd have plenty of light for a good yield.

This is where it gets tricky though, because your room isn't a square, the lights will be harder to position. Some areas of the room are going to get more light than others. "I" would mount these in the corners of the closet, and have them pointing at a slight angle, so that they both cover the room.
Hopefully some others will weigh in and make a suggestion, I'd be interested to know what others would do. :D

If anyone cares, I'm referring to these charts for lumen output of bulbs: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6265&d=1149604828
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6266&d=1149604828

edit: Woops, for only 4 or 5 plants, a 400 watt HPS should work fine on it's own.

id say just wait till you get the lights you need to put it into flower

Latest posts

Back